n38139

Well Known Member
I need a second comm and was considering a 210. Anybody have any inputs about the 210 they would like to share to help me make my decision?

thanks

Good Radio but...

I'm using it as my COM2 radio. It works well. I like the frequency memory feature and the weather channel availability. However, be very careful when removing the faceplate. There is a ribbon connector that is easily messed up. If I remember correctly, to install the radio, you have to remove the faceplate. Because of this, there is no getting around the possibility of messing up the ribbon connector. Icom repaired it okay (not free) but I was a little disappointed with the fact that that something so fragile is played with every time you remove/install the radio. Looking back with 20/20 vision, doing it over again I would probably spend the extra money for the SL40.

Last edited:
I'm using it as my COM2 radio. It works well. I like the frequency memory feature and the weather channel availability. However, be very careful when removing the faceplate. There is a ribbon connector that is easily messed up. If I remember correctly, to install the radio, you have to remove the faceplate. Because of this, there is no getting around the possibility of messing up the ribbon connector. Icom repaired it okay (not free) but I was a little disappointed with the fact that that something so fragile is played with every time you remove/install the radio. Looking back with 20/20 vision, doing it over again I would probably spend the extra money for the SL40.

You can buy extra ribbons from Icom for a dollar each (at least they were last year). I got three of them, as I ruined one during a cold winter re-install. The ribbon attaches to the radio side, the same as the face plate. You just have to pull the top plate off.

My 210 is comm 2, in addition to an SL40.

edit: my only two gripes in comparison to the SL40 is having to push the mic key twice after switching the monitoring channel, and the fact that the display is hard to see when direct sunlight hits it from the canopy. I do like the large scrolling display though. It looks better than the SL40, and displays the 3rd decimal of a frequency number, which the Garmin does not.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
MGL V10

Have you looked at the V10? I really like the specs on it and the price is good. I'm still building so the unusual shape isn't such a big deal. The overall size is really small so you don't have to cut the sub panel. For me the only drawback is that it won't fit in a stack.