ArjanPlomp

I'm considering the purchase of an Icom 210 and have read all the posts here at VansAirforce regarding the dual monitor functionality. Can anyone tell me how -AFTER the firmware upgrade- the monitor function really works? Does it have a priority channel?
Also -regarding this functionality only- what are the differences between the SL-40 and the Icom 210?

Thanks,
Arjan Plomp

Icom A210 dual watch -- update

I'm considering the purchase of an Icom 210 and have read all the posts here at VansAirforce regarding the dual monitor functionality. Can anyone tell me how -AFTER the firmware upgrade- the monitor function really works? Does it have a priority channel?
Also -regarding this functionality only- what are the differences between the SL-40 and the Icom 210?

Since I don't see up to date responses....

Today, I swapped an Icom A200 for the A210. It was shipped overnight from Aircraft Spruce, and has the update pre-installed with a revised page to fit into the manual. As mentioned before, it slides into the existing A-200 tray and wiring.

It is now functional like the Garmin SL-40. Using dual watch, it will shift to the standby frequency if listening to something such as AWOS/ATIS. Once something comes up on the priority channel, it immediately changes, then will change back to the standby...................all on it's own, with no button pushing as previously required. The change timing is also adjustable.

IMO, the "ribbon" isn't that big of deal, once you realize that the ribbon only, pulls out of the plastic connector. I kept thinking that the plastic connector was going to pull out of a female connector..................wrong! :confused:

I'm replacing the A200 because I "fried" it a few years back, when connecting to reverse polarity while working on the panel in my garage. Just a bit of smoke, and blown fuse! :D
It seemed to work okay, but will squeal at higher power settings.

The plan was to switch to a Garmin SL40 which I had already purchased. But the connections are totally different as is the tray. I finally threw in the towel Sunday afternoon, as I would prefer flying the phase one hours off this plane, than laying upside down for hours under the panel.

Eventually, I'll get an audio panel & install both the Icom and Garmin, along with audio inputs from my 496 GPS and eventually an AOA. But I'll pre-wire the whole thing at home in my workshop.

FWIW--- The Icom has a sub D connector as an option, that will fit the Garmin. It also has a top and bottom tray lock to fit either radio tray.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Hi Larry,
I havent sent my 210 in for the upgrade yet, but am going to.
The other thing I dont like about the dual monitor mode is that if the 210 is in dual monitor mode and you press the PTT, it cancels the dual monitor mode instead of going back to it once you are done talking.
Does the new firmware upgrade change that function too so it will stay in dual monitor mode like the garmin SL series does?

Hi Larry,
I havent sent my 210 in for the upgrade yet, but am going to.
The other thing I dont like about the dual monitor mode is that if the 210 is in dual monitor mode and you press the PTT, it cancels the dual monitor mode instead of going back to it once you are done talking.
Does the new firmware upgrade change that function too so it will stay in dual monitor mode like the garmin SL series does?

I'll check that today, as the orginal manual says the PTT will cancel dual watch.

L.Adamson

pushing freqency-gps to IcomA210

N941WR, I am not able to transfer a "comm" frequency from a 496 to the IcomA210. I followed the wiring directions porvided by Icom but no luck.
If anyone else has had success....what's the trick?

I haven't used the A210, so I can't speak to that.

Here's how the SL40 works: It normally monitors the active frequency. However, if you have the monitor function on, it briefly flips to the standby frequency several times a second to see if the squelch is broken on that freq. If it is, it receives the standby freq and checks on the primary briefly several time a second - this is why the monitored audio has little gaps in it several times a second. If the active freq breaks squelch, it stays there until the squelch drops and then goes back to monitoring the standby.

On most of my ham ICOM gear, it has true dual receive - you'll get both frequencies going at once. One of my HTs even has duplex capability - you continue to RX on the sub frequency while transmitting.

TODR

N941WR, I am not able to transfer a "comm" frequency from a 496 to the IcomA210. I followed the wiring directions porvided by Icom but no luck.
If anyone else has had success....what's the trick?

Is the serial data format set on the Garmin 496 set to "TIS In/NEMA & VHF out"? You have to use this format or the "Aviation In/NEMA & VHF out" format to output freqs on the 496.

The ICOM receives the airport freqs from the current airport or airports along a route or destination airport from a "goto" into its memory channels. They are accessed by pressing the "RCL" button and then rotating the outer dial until GPS shows. Then rotate the inner dial to select which freq you want to use from the airport. The freqs show with their identifer, i.e 118.4 TWR.
Works great on mine and I use this feature a lot.

Was does not work is you cannot select an individual freq on the Garmin 496 and press the enter key and have that freq go to the standby freq on the Icom like it will on a Garmin SL series radio.
I do not know if the new firmware update changes this behavior or not.

If your freqs are not showing up in the GPS memory on the icom and the garmin 496 is configured correctly, I would look at the wiring again.

I've been playing with my A210 and find that the cancelling of the standby freq when the PTT is pushed is something I think I like. Why, there is nothing worse than talking on the mike and than have something come in like the atis and block out the response you are going to get on the primary. So my thought is no big deal, let that happen, if I want the atis back on, I can push the button, again no big deal cus it's a couple inches from my throttle.

I've been playing with my A210 and find that the cancelling of the standby freq when the PTT is pushed is something I think I like. Why, there is nothing worse than talking on the mike and than have something come in like the atis and block out the response you are going to get on the primary. So my thought is no big deal, let that happen, if I want the atis back on, I can push the button, again no big deal cus it's a couple inches from my throttle.

I was thinking the same thing today, while playing ATIS on the secondary and flying touch & goes on the primary. :)

Even the removable front is a bit ingenious. It allows for two separate tray locks (that adapt to various brands of top or bottom locking trays), and not requiring holes in the large frequency display to insert those 3/32" hex drivers.

For the difference in cost, compared to the Garmin SL40, and ease of installation in regards to switching with an A200, I think it's a pretty good deal!

L.Adamson -- RV6A

I can see your point about not having atis come on, but the primary will override it anyway. Also you can just press the dual button to cancel dual if you dont want it on. I tend to fly with others and find I keep forgetting to press the dual watch feature after pressing the PTT to talk to one of the other RVs in the group. It is a minor inconvenience to me though if I can get the upgrade to fix the priority feature. I really like the icom otherwise.