rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I had an interesting icing experience on Wednesday - in my car. We were driving from SLC back to Idaho. We were going through an inversion or fog layer and the antenna on our truck started whipping around to where it was beating against the windshield. We pulled over and noticed the leading edge was covered with ice.

I flicked the ice off and we started again. The antenna was fine for about 5 minutes, then it started collecting ice again - very quickly. Within a few more minutes, my wife had to reach out and flick the antenna to get the ice off. We had to do the same thing several more times until we got to a higher elevation.

I have only been in ice flying once - in a turbo Commander going into Telluride in the winter. The boots took care of it but it was still freaky. I can't imagine watching it build up in an RV.

The biggest surprise was how fast it built up and how quickly the aerodynamics of the antenna changed. It gave me a chill thinking of what it would do to a plane. I was glad I was in a truck and all I had to do was flick the antenna.

Respect the dew point spread

I had the exact same experience 24 yrs ago while driving my old VW GTI through central Indiana. Unfortunately the potential effect on a flying aircraft hit home when I found out a that at approximately the same time 80 miles north that same wx system brought down an airplane after barely getting into the air. Even the NTSB report mentioned icing on an antenna of a patrol car in the area.

NTSB Identification: CHI92LA048
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 46280.
Accident occurred Tuesday, December 10, 1991 in RENSSELAER, IN
Probable Cause Approval Date: 03/31/1993
Aircraft: BEECH A36, registration: N61054
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 3 Serious.
NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

THE AIRPLANE TOOK OFF ON RUNWAY 36 APPROXIMATELY 0545 HOURS. ABOUT 3/4 MILE NORTH AND SLIGHTLY EAST OF THE EXTENDED RUNWAY CENTERLINE, THE AIRPLANE IMPACTED THE GROUND ON AN EASTERLY HEADING. THE RIGHT WING SEPARATED FROM THE FUSELAGE AND GROUND FIRE ENSUED. THE AIRCRAFT CONTINUED THROUGH TREES, ACROSS A SET OF RAILROAD TRACKS, BEFORE IT CAME TO A REST IN AN OPEN FIELD POINTING IN A WESTERLY DIRECTION. STATE POLICE DESCRIBED THE WEATHER AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT AS 'FOGGY, HAZY...WITH NO CEILING. VISIBILITY IN IMMEDIATE AREA WAS GIVEN AS 1/8 TO 1/4 MILE. ICE AND FROST WAS READILY FORMING ON PATROL CAR ANTENNAE...' THE POLICE REPORT INDICATES 'THE AIRPLANE SURFACE WAS COVERED WITH FROST...(WHICH) WAS PRIMARILY GONE...BEFORE...PHOTOGRAPHY OF THE SCENE.' TEMPERATURE AND DEW POINT WERE REPORTED AS 26 DEGREES. THE PILOT HAD NO RECOLLECTION OF THE ACCIDENT. THERE WS NO EVIDENCE OF PRE-IMPACT MECHANICAL ANOMALY.

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...-f5ac-47cf-8c23-b50b75889096&pgno=8&pgsize=50

I had the exact same experience 24 yrs ago while driving my old VW GTI through central Indiana. Unfortunately the potential effect on a flying aircraft hit home when I found out a that at approximately the same time 80 miles north that same wx system brought down an airplane after barely getting into the air. Even the NTSB report mentioned icing on an antenna of a patrol car in the area.

NTSB Identification: CHI92LA048
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 46280.
Accident occurred Tuesday, December 10, 1991 in RENSSELAER, IN
Probable Cause Approval Date: 03/31/1993
Aircraft: BEECH A36, registration: N61054
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 3 Serious.
NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

THE AIRPLANE TOOK OFF ON RUNWAY 36 APPROXIMATELY 0545 HOURS. ABOUT 3/4 MILE NORTH AND SLIGHTLY EAST OF THE EXTENDED RUNWAY CENTERLINE, THE AIRPLANE IMPACTED THE GROUND ON AN EASTERLY HEADING. THE RIGHT WING SEPARATED FROM THE FUSELAGE AND GROUND FIRE ENSUED. THE AIRCRAFT CONTINUED THROUGH TREES, ACROSS A SET OF RAILROAD TRACKS, BEFORE IT CAME TO A REST IN AN OPEN FIELD POINTING IN A WESTERLY DIRECTION. STATE POLICE DESCRIBED THE WEATHER AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT AS 'FOGGY, HAZY...WITH NO CEILING. VISIBILITY IN IMMEDIATE AREA WAS GIVEN AS 1/8 TO 1/4 MILE. ICE AND FROST WAS READILY FORMING ON PATROL CAR ANTENNAE...' THE POLICE REPORT INDICATES 'THE AIRPLANE SURFACE WAS COVERED WITH FROST...(WHICH) WAS PRIMARILY GONE...BEFORE...PHOTOGRAPHY OF THE SCENE.' TEMPERATURE AND DEW POINT WERE REPORTED AS 26 DEGREES. THE PILOT HAD NO RECOLLECTION OF THE ACCIDENT. THERE WS NO EVIDENCE OF PRE-IMPACT MECHANICAL ANOMALY.

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...-f5ac-47cf-8c23-b50b75889096&pgno=8&pgsize=50

I was driving back to Illinois from Lafayette, IN a few years back and got icing much the same, sticky grooves had formed on the highway (2-lane). There was a Great Blue Heron standing on the side of the road with iced wings!! Just looking around and waiting for clearing.

A crusty Bob Minnis told me many years ago, when flying winter, night, IFR and you hear buzzing, it is ice on the antenna - find a place and land. It might be your final warning.

Last edited:
Rockwood, I just drove into SLC on Friday in the inversion. Had been thinking of flying originally, but the inversion made me very glad I decided to drive instead of fly! Would have been fine flying until the last 10 minutes or so.

Cheers,
Greg

Rockwood, I just drove into SLC on Friday in the inversion. Had been thinking of flying originally, but the inversion made me very glad I decided to drive instead of fly! Would have been fine flying until the last 10 minutes or so.

Cheers,
Greg
Greg, If you go through the Boise - Caldwell area, let me know. I would love to meet you. Vlad said you were a nice guy. Even with that, I would still like to meet you!! Ha!

Translation - he fed Vlad :)

Go to one of the Reno R3 shindigs--------he feeds everybody:D

P9180009.jpg

Timely post Rocky

Let's get back to the subject gentlemen. This much rime on RV is enough to be scared. Make sure your carb heat works and find a place to land asap. Watch your GPS speed if you don't have a heated pitot. Yes the controls feel will be very different. Don't ask how I know :)

Your flight home tooday

Vlad,
While the weather was so crummy today with snow, sleet, and rain,I entertained myself watching your aprs track as you zig zagged north to home. Would love to hear your story.

Jim
Lock haven, pa
7a

Vlad,
While the weather was so crummy today with snow, sleet, and rain,I entertained myself watching your aprs track as you zig zagged north to home. Would love to hear your story.

Jim
Lock haven, pa
7a

Today was pure entertainment Jim. Yesterday was something I would never share on the interwebz. :D