Stampw

Hello All,

I've been using the IceBox in my -7A (tip-up) on a few trips now and wanted to provide some user feedback to anyone thinking about purchasing. I'm based out of KSOP (NC- home of the US Open 2014) and though its been cooler this year, we've seen the 90s multiple days and always high humidity.

Positives:
It works! It will cool the cockpit quickly to where I have no problems taxiing to taking off with the canopy full closed on the hottest day. As long as there is cold water running through the coils, the cockpit is cool, though I usually point the directional hose closer to me since I like it cooler than the wife. The remote works nicely, and the snap-hose to drain that comes with it is nicely designed . It looks like a cooler that's been modified, so nothing fancy. But still it seems to be fairly well made.

Not so Positives:
Main issue is its not made for an RV; its made for a larger airplane with easy access to baggage (ie side door). The IceBox is fairly large, so in my RV it has to be wedged between the seat rail and canopy rail with the seats pulled forward. And it's too large to sit in the front seat without blocking the right stick. Once it's in the baggage area, it fits nicely but does take a good portion of the luggage space. Removing the IceBox requires the same wedging tricks, but is a little more complicated with the residual water left (even with pumping the water out, not all is removed).

If you decide to buy, I'd recommend the additional gel packs at a minimum because the ice melts fast (I think the pump creates a lot of heat). The aux bat would be nice too, though I didn't get it. It would allow you to drain it on battery, and allow the wife to stay cool without running the IceBox on airplane battery while you are out pumping the gas. The pilot switch would even an added bonus, avoiding unplugging and replugging. Of course this all adds up to an additional $175 or more. Oh, and I'd recommend the hose extension too - add $5 more.

Bottomline - it works great once you get it in the aircraft. Check to ensure it will fit in yours before you buy.

Stamp
N74BZ

I bought one for my 7A tip up also even though I am still building. When I received it I found I could not get it into the baggage compartment without taking the seats out and taking the lid off. So my guess it will become a somewhat permanent fixture in my baggage compartment. I will bungee the lid on and get a longer hose for draining. I did buy the battery and gel packs. It gets over 100 degrees here and I wanted the longest ice time possible. Glad to hear it cools the cabin well.

Good report, Stamp

Thanks for all the input, Stamp! When are you two going to stop back in KCUB? We still haven't seen your new ride. :eek:

passenger needs to cool in the FBO during refueling

and allow the wife to stay cool without running the IceBox on airplane battery while you are out pumping the gas.

Thank you for the review.

Please reconsider fueling the plane with a passenger on board. If a tank caught fire you don't want to deal with the danger and panic of trying to get a harnessed passenger out of a plane with a closed canopy! My passenger always disembarks prior to refueling.

Last edited:
Is this the Polar IceBox sold by PhillipNY

Which "cooler a/c" product is this review about?

Thanks for the posts guys.

Yep we have a bunch of guys in RV7 and up using the icebox. all are flying cool this summer.. But no loops please!

And.. For fuel stops flip the pilot cable to 'battery mode' and keep the ice box running. But deplane all passengers, it's an important safety step in general

Post some pics and enter the free giveaway too
P

Just fits in my 6A

I have used my Icebox a few times here in Fla because its hot hot hot. I still have the desire to fly and this allows me to be comfortable. The issues I've had so far have been mentioned already.

1) little tight in/out of the baggage area but worth it!

2) the pump out is not complete so a little water has spilled out when removing from the cargo area. I keep a towel handy and it works just fine.

3) the pump became dislodged after the first use. I reattached with a Velcro type patch. Works great!

4) get the pump out hose extended. I added 4' and now I drain it on the ramp while I am opening the hanger doors and don't have to hold it the whole time.

I love it's simplicity! Thank you for a great solution to me utilizing my plane even more than I would have otherwise.

:)Rich

Thanks for the post Rich!

Yes from the 140x IceBox coolers we've shipped this summer. Almost all are in Texas and Florida!

The extended drain hose is handy. After your flight, snap it in and dangle it outside the plane. Turn the pump ON and all the water goes out. But you're right there is about a cup's size amount of water left in the pipe lines and bottom of the cooler. I dump that stuff manually when the cooler is out of the plane.

That blue pump base has come unglued on a few coolers. I think what pilots are doing is moving the pump around while its still attached down there: to connect the drain hose, etc. You can do 2x things so it never comes off:
- 1. Unclick the whole pump from the blue base, then work on it
- 2. Slid the zip tie UP on the return water line which gives it ~10" of length to play with , then connect your drain hose. When you're finished, unclick the black hose and slide the zip tie down again

The location of that blue base/water pump and the return lines zip tied to the send line, etc... Is all by design and helps make your cooler last as long as possible!

Post some pics of your setup
P

Last edited: