java

Well Known Member
So, I've had my RV6 for a couple of months now and weather has been conspiring against much traveling. Only a few hours of local flights so far. Today I decided to rectify that and head out to Red Deer, Alberta.

Here's "Angel" in her hanger before we left. You can just catch a glimpse of my hangar landlords fantastic F1 Rocket behind her...
IMG_0684.JPG

First point, I need to recalibrate distances at RV speeds. It only took me 0.5 each way. Still learning that I can go a lot farther in a given amount of time! Oh the choices that have opened up!!! :D

Here's a pick of the Rocky Mountains to the West. Looks pretty bleak up here in the winter, and I wouldn't like to have a forced landing!
IMG_0685.JPG

...and finally, I took this DC-4 (I think?) pic on the ramp at Red Deer. Have you seen the "Ice Pilots" TV show? The show takes place up in Northern Canada, but apparently they get some maintenance done here.
IMG_0690.JPG

All in all, a very short trip but a lot of fun as I slowly venture further from the nest.

Hope you all had a good President's Day in the US, and Family Day in (some provinces) Canada.

I distinctly remember Buffalo's planes out there, as my father's AMO shared a hangar with Hillman Air for a while (and then someone else, honestly can't remember), at least while we lived down there.

If you seem Kim at Cougar NDE, tell em Matt said hi :)

That cafeteria kind of place still open there?

That cafeteria kind of place still open there?

...not on a stat holiday like today. I had to fly back for lunch. Chatted with a local fellow there from the flying club who said they open up again on weekends starting March 15th. Only open on weekdays in the winter apparently.

...not on a stat holiday like today. I had to fly back for lunch. Chatted with a local fellow there from the flying club who said they open up again on weekends starting March 15th. Only open on weekdays in the winter apparently.

Ah, good to hear, I miss eating lunch there when helping out with paperwork, the ladies made some really fine food.

To download it here in the US you have to get past the issue of IP geolocation blocking. IOW if you don't have a Canadian IP address the site won't let you see or download some content. A number of ways to get past the block, but for those that aren't into proxy servers or bit torrents, NWT Ice Pilots announced yesterday on FaceBook that the show is coming to Nat Geo in the US this Spring. The bad news is that it will be last year's season 1 (they are currently airing season 2).

To download it here in the US you have to get past the issue of IP geolocation blocking. IOW if you don't have a Canadian IP address the site won't let you see or download some content. A number of ways to get past the block, but for those that aren't into proxy servers or bit torrents, NWT Ice Pilots announced yesterday on FaceBook that the show is coming to Nat Geo in the US this Spring. The bad news is that it will be last year's season 1 (they are currently airing season 2).

So, understanding this, I'll give some context. Ice Pilots is a TV show on the History Channel in Canada. It profiles Buffalo Airways, a charter operation in the Northwest Territories of Canada (...in other words, **** cold in the 10 months of winter and insects that would compete with bird strikes in the 2 months of summer... a hyperbole... I've never been there so set your stereotype meter to sensitive).

They operate a number of historical aircraft in real life operations. DC-3's, DC-4's, C-47 Skytrain's, etc. Inevitably, the staff are young, 10 feet tall and bullet proof, prone to tardiness and other human failings, etc. "Buffalo Joe" McBryan is the patriarch of the operations, and is predictably curmudgenly.

Just watching an episode now where they were taking a C-47 Skytrain on an extended trip North (yes... there is still North from where they are based). Problems included a new starboard engine on the C-47 that was leaking 3 ga. per hour :eek: of oil (they turned back), then burning too much gas (100LL, at 100 ga/hr double-:eek:) and finding a lack of 55ga. drums to refuel at a northern airport, etc. etc. etc.

It's not RV flying, but is very cool. I'm sure most of the young guys they have flying this iron have no idea how lucky/risky they have it.

To our American friends, check it out when it comes your way. Interesting stuff, and one of the few "reality TV shows" I'll watch.