sandifer

Well Known Member
IAC is looking for RV forum speakers at the IAC Pavilion at AirVenture this year. Anyone who is qualified to speak about aerobatics (recreational or competition), or issues such as acro training, mechanical setup/inverted systems/maintenance, etc. as it relates to RVs, please contact Lorrie Penner. Short notice, but she is looking to firm up all speakers by this Monday, April 6. Please contact her directly ASAP if interested and available. Contact info below. Below is the current schedule and open slots. We currently only have one session (Steve Johnson) speaking about RV acro.

IAC is also looking for an RV to display at the IAC building for the week (could be switched out if needed). If interested, please also contact Lorrie.

Tuesday, July 21
0830 - 0945 OPEN
1000 - 1115 Skip Stewart - Pitts Modifications
1130 - 1235 Dagmar Kress - Basic Aerodynamics and Spin Recoveries
1300 - 1415 Kevin Kimball - The Pitts Model 12

Wednesday, July 22
0830 - 0945 OPEN
1000 - 1115 Gary Debaun - Buying a used Pitts
1130 - 1235 Bill Finagin - Spins/ emergency recoveries
1300 - 1415 Johnny White - Pitts Maintenance

Thursday, July 23
0830 - 0945 OPEN
1000 - 1115 - Budd Davisson - Pitts Breed: the Various Models, which is best for you?
1130 - 1235 OPEN
1300 - 1415 Steve Johnson - RVs and Aerobatics

Friday, July 24
0830 - 0945 IAC Annual Meeting
1000 - 1115 - Budd Davisson - The Pitts Landing Myth: Anyone can do it…no…really!
1130 - 1235 - Don Weaver - Aerobatics and Aerodynamics Part I
1300 - 1415 - Don Weaver - Aerobatics and Aerodynamics Part II

Saturday, July 25
0830 - 0945 OPEN
1000 - 1115 - Budd Davisson - TBA
1130 - 1235 - Luca Bertossio - Glider Aerobatics
1300 - 1415 OPEN

Lorrie Penner
IAC Pavilion and Pitts Anniversary Seminars Chair
penn.lorrie (at) gmail.com
513-284-5076

Last edited:
IAC

Does Mike Mays know about this ??? (Sebring area IAC)
I listened to him rant about RV's not being aerobatic , they are
designed for pancake breakfast runs .

Does Mike Mays know about this ??? (Sebring area IAC)
I listened to him rant about RV's not being aerobatic , they are
designed for pancake breakfast runs .

I imagine you do not actually know Mike very well. Whether you misunderstand him or not, he's just one guy, and doesn't represent IAC as whole. Why do you bring this up? It's not helpful.

IAC

I went to Sebring a few years ago with a friend in his 7 , flew over with another friend in his Eagle. We were looking at getting envoled with competition aerobatics .It was the practice day before the contest . There were 2 other planes that showed for the day . After a few practices we had lunch . We talked about flying RV's in competition ,that's when Mike Mays went on a 25 minute rant about RV's not being aerobatic and we would be better off with a clapped out Pitts ! I guess he's in charge of membership prevention .

So yes I have met Mike Mays and that was how the IAC was introduced to me .

Last edited by a moderator:
There are sour grapes in every bunch but it seems like the IAC as a whole is genuinely interested in supporting the RV guys too. Personally I think it's a good thing as they have a lot to offer in aerobatic training and safety.

We all know an RV guy or two that constantly goes on rants about never being caught dead in a spam can.

I went to Sebring a few years ago with a friend in his 7 , flew over with another friend in his Eagle. We were looking at getting envoled with competition aerobatics .It was the practice day before the contest . There were 2 other planes that showed for the day . After a few practices we had lunch . We talked about flying RV's in competition ,that's when Mike Mays went on a 25 minute rant about RV's not being aerobatic and we would be better off with a clapped out Pitts ! I guess he's in charge of membership prevention .

So yes I have met Mike Mays and that was how the IAC was introduced to me .

You seem to have let one single person influence you to a large degree several years ago. Can't help that, but you seem to have posted your story in an attempt to allow this one person to continue to negatively influence others. That's my issue. I would suggest you either get involved with IAC and see that on the whole, they're the same as any other group of folks you come across, flying or otherwise....or don't involve anyone else in your sour grapes with that one person among a few thousand IAC members. Sorry you got turned off. I'm running the Carolina Boogie in Wilson, NC first weekend in May. Come on up. If you feel unwelcome, I'll personally reimburse your expenses. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
RVs are welcomed at IAC contest

I remember when I received the Mike Mayes RV rant cartoon video, and it was hilarious!! Not available anymore. The story I like best that Mike tells (over a couple of beers) is when he lost his hearing aid in his belly button after he had strapped in and forgot it was there. He thought his belly button was a good place to put it before donning his head set. Tom, I think we may have met at that contest. We only had a few show up because of weather and airport improvements that closed one runway and some of the taxi ways. However, my RV did well taking first place in all three flights in the Sportsman category against Pitts. Have to defend Mike in that he was a perfect host and contest director, and really knows how to grill when he fed us. Haven?t done as well at Sebring at another contest when I left out a figure in one of the flights, but placed third in the other two flights. At the awards banquet when I was presented the medals for the individual flights, the group almost embarrassed me in a good way with ?RV, RV, RV? chant. At least those in the southeast know that an RV can do well in contests and better if the pilot has lots of practice with good coaching and training. I?ve heard another RVer say he didn?t feel welcomed at an IAC contest several years ago, but I?ve had the exact opposite. At my first contest 5 years ago, the first person that I met after I flew in made me feel very welcomed as well as all the other participants and volunteers. Later in the day I found out that first person greeting me was on the US World Unlimited team. I wish more RVs would come join the fun and the close family of the best pilots and volunteers in the US. I will also vouch that Eric is our best source of aerobatic information, and one of the top pilots in the Advance category.
Now back to the original thread about RV speakers and RV on static display at IAC tent.

Bill McLean:D
RV-4 slider
Lower Alabama