BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Doug, I could not find the flyin forum so I am initially posting this on the General Discussion/News. If it need to be changed, let me know but I wanted to start getting the word out.

It's FLYIN TIME!!!!!

Time to crank em up and point the spinners, or grills, towards the central US, just south of Lexington KY!!

The 4th. annual Richmond, Madison Flyin is sch. for Feb. 24th. (last Saturday in February). Since this if now th 4th., many people have said it needs a name..............thus "The Kickoff".

We have had as many as 86+ RV's here and over 100 total airplanes in the past couple years. Now this is not a vendors, forum flyin. We stand around, walk around scratching out behinds, telling lies and looking at RVs, while visiting old friends. Course I have already lined up two Hooters girls to be present to serve a variety of Hooters Hot Wings. The local EAA will also be there serving other grilled foods.......................NO $3.00 hot dogs. Course why in the world you want a hot dog when you could be served hot wings by the Hooter Girls.........got me:)

Be extremely careful, as there are typically a lot of airplanes operating in uncontrolled airspace. Keep your head on a swivel as you will hear, "flight of two on 45 degree entry", "flight of three with flight of two in sight", "experimental on short final". No fire trucks to respond slowly will be present. With that said, we have a great time. Keep in mind, this is "organized" by Elaine and I along with my youngest son and his best friend who direct you at the taxiway to the ramp or taxiway. That is truly it, no committees, no discussion sessions, we are it, so be patient and understanding.

I am lining up a variety of door prizes. In the past I have been able to give away total AnyWhere Map software, tools from Cleveland and Avery, canopy covers, Kitlog, post lights......the list goes on. If any vendors are out there and want to donate, please send me an email. I'll start posting contributors shortly.

I have had pilots fly in from PN, FL, MP, MI and all points in between. We have had people actually drive in from Michigan to see RV's. We fly and lie here so fly em or drive em, we have a good time:)

Start time Light 30, quiting time Dark 30.

More to follow.

Cell 859 625-2844, home 859 369-7582

Direction for driving to the airport, (lots of people are driving in)

Off I-75, take exit 77 (KY route 595) and turn west. Go about 200 yards and make a right between the BP Station and the Shell Station. Go exactly 2.0 miles and make a right onto Madison County Airport Road. The airport road will take you directly to my hangar (Matter of fact someone kept going straight once and drove into the hangar, pushing the 172 out the back thus requiring the subsequent purchase of the Bonanza??that?s a different story).

Anyone wanting to stay over close to the airport, there is a Holiday Inn Express behind the BP and a Days Inn (I think that?s it) at the exit ramp. The airport is about 15 miles from my house/shop.

Here is a list of the better motels within 10 minutes of my house/shop.

Comfort Suites
859 624-0770
Next to Cracker Barrel

Hampton Inn
859 626-1002
Next to Bob Evans

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
859 624-4088
Walking distance Bob Evans

Best Western
859 623-9220
Same as above

Jameson Inn
859 623-0063
Bob Evans shares parking lot

La Quinta
859 623-9121
Near Cracker Barrel

Ramada Limited
859 626-8676
Same as above

Dana Overall
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"
O 360 A1A, C/S C2YK-1BF/F7666A4
http://rvflying.tripod.com/blackwing1.jpg
http://rvflying.tripod.com
do not archive

This Saturdays i39 Richmond, Madison Flyin is ON!!

OK gang, this Saturday's i39, Richmond, Madison Kickoff Flyin in ON!!!!! Remember, if you fly in there will be no ambulances, firetrucks or emergency personnel on site........there, that out of the way.

The weather is calling for 60 degrees on the backside of a nice Friday high with a slight chance of light rain developing after dark Sat. continuing into Sunday coming from the southwest. The call is made, it is ON. Saturday we will have coffee, donuts, Hooters wings, hotdogs, colas, water ........................and..............new this year...............a client is showing up with his mobile corn roaster!!

Starting time is light 30 with closing at dark 30. Bring your camera and best lies, you will need the best of both. No vendors, no $3 hotdogs, no forums, no nothing, just airplanes and friends. We again have members of TeamRV and the Ohio Valley RVatiors formation teams flying in with lots of individual RVs. Be careful, this is an uncontrolled airfield with no NOTAMS, no nothing, safety is up to you. Keep your head on a swivel and use the radio. You know the drills.

Looking forward to seeing everyone nice and early. 60 degrees and sunshine.....YES!!

Me cell phone is 859 625-2844 with home 859 369-7582

Dana Overall
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"
O 360 A1A, C/S C2YK-1BF/F7666A4
http://rvflying.tripod.com/blackwing1.jpg
http://rvflying.tripod.com
do not archive

>From: "Dana Overall" <[email protected]>
>Reply-To: [email protected]
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: RV-List: i39, Richmond Madison Flyin Feb. 24th.
>Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:01:12 -0500
>
>--> RV-List message posted by: "Dana Overall" <[email protected]>
>
>It's FLYIN TIME!!!!!
>
>Time to crank em up and point the spinners, or grills, towards the
>central US, just south of Lexington KY!!
>
>The 4th. annual Richmond, Madison Flyin is sch. for Feb. 24th. (last
>Saturday in February). Since this if now th 4th., many people have
>said it needs a name..............thus "The Kickoff".
>
>We have had as many as 86+ RV's here and over 100 total airplanes in
>the past couple years. Now this is not a vendors, forum flyin. We
>stand around, walk around scratching out behinds, telling lies and
>looking at RVs, while visiting old friends. Course I have already
>lined up two Hooters girls to be present to serve a variety of
>Hooters Hot Wings. The local EAA will also be there serving other
>grilled foods.......................NO $3.00 hot dogs. Course why
>in the world you want a hot dog when you could be served hot wings
>by the Hooter Girls.........got me:)
>
>Be extremely careful, as there are typically a lot of airplanes
>operating in uncontrolled airspace. Keep your head on a swivel as
>you will hear, "flight of two on 45 degree entry", "flight of three
>with flight of two in sight", "experimental on short final". No
>fire trucks to respond slowly will be present. With that said, we
>have a great time. Keep in mind, this is "organized" by Elaine and
>I along with my youngest son and his best friend who direct you at
>the taxiway to the ramp or taxiway. That is truly it, no
>committees, no discussion sessions, we are it, so be patient and
>understanding.
>
>I am lining up a variety of door prizes. In the past I have been
>able to give away total AnyWhere Map software, tools from Cleveland
>and Avery, canopy covers, Kitlog, post lights......the list goes on.
> If any vendors are out there and want to donate, please send me an
>email. I'll start posting contributors shortly.
>
>I have had pilots fly in from PN, FL, MP, MI and all points in
>between. We have had people actually drive in from Michigan to see
>RV's. We fly and lie here so fly em or drive em, we have a good
>time:)
>
>Start time Light 30, quiting time Dark 30.
>
>More to follow.
>
>Cell 859 625-2844, home 859 369-7582
>
>
>
>
>
>Direction for driving to the airport, (lots of people are driving
>in)
>
>Off I-75, take exit 77 (KY route 595) and turn west. Go about 200
>yards and make a right between the BP Station and the Shell Station.
> Go exactly 2.0 miles and make a right onto Madison County Airport
>Road. The airport road will take you directly to my hangar (Matter
>of fact someone kept going straight once and drove into the hangar,
>pushing the 172 out the back thus requiring the subsequent purchase
>of the Bonanza??that?s a different story).
>
>Anyone wanting to stay over close to the airport, there is a Holiday
>Inn Express behind the BP and a Days Inn (I think that?s it) at the
>exit ramp. The airport is about 15 miles from my house/shop.
>
>Here is a list of the better motels within 10 minutes of my
>house/shop.
>
>Comfort Suites
>859 624-0770
>Next to Cracker Barrel
>
>Hampton Inn
>859 626-1002
>Next to Bob Evans
>
>Holiday Inn Express & Suites
>859 624-4088
>Walking distance Bob Evans
>
>
>Best Western
>859 623-9220
>Same as above
>
>Jameson Inn
>859 623-0063
>Bob Evans shares parking lot
>
>La Quinta
>859 623-9121
>Near Cracker Barrel
>
>Ramada Limited
>859 626-8676
>Same as above
>
>

Dana,

Thanks for having us up there. The crew from KMOR was excited to see all the RV's. Don't know where the 60deg was but the wings and dogs were great! The 20+knot direct cross wind was fun as well! :eek:

Kahuna and the rest of TeamRV & OVRVFT did a great job with the formation flying. Good to see you again Mike! Scott sorry you could not come and show off that new paint!

Last edited:
Hey thanks, I'm off this morning for a "short" 14 mile marathon training run. When I get back I'll put together a little blurb with some pic links. Had a great time.

Brantel said:
Dana,

Thanks for having us up there. The crew from KMOR was excited to see all the RV's. Don't know where the 60deg was but the wings and dogs were great! The 20+knot direct cross wind was fun as well! :eek:

Kahuna and the rest of TeamRV did a great job with the formation flying. Good to see you again Mike! Scott sorry you could not come and show off that new paint!

As anyone on this list, and the matronics list, will know by previous experience, I did not aggressively promote the flyin as much as I have in the past. I have been extremely busy this tax season and have been struggling whether to keep the flyin at i39 or moving it about 20 miles away to DVK. The first two years I was required to park arrivals in the grass along the taxiway. This year we have had an unusually wet winter which had turned this parking area even more wet than prior years. The Monday before the flyin we had snow on the ground with rain expected for two days mid week. I have to make the call reasonably early in the week to enable pilots to make their call. Thus, a smaller event this year.

The flyin started for me Friday at 5PM with the arrival of three friends, Kahuna, Speedy and Dogg at i39. Photo and Mary both had prior commitments but Ginger was with Dogg. Elaine stayed at the house and watched the whole ribeye in the smoker and readied the other food and bar. We had a great dinner with three different local wines.

We then moved to the Black Magic factory where Kahuna made a very astute observation. I am close enough to have a million little things to do to finish the airplane.

Up to the great room to watch Photo's presentation of TeamRV's out west trip two years ago on 72" 1080i..........the DVD is spectacular in and of itself, on the big screen with surround sound...........well, it was nice. a few more lies then off to bed all went.

Well the Saturday weather was initially 60 degrees with rain by 4PM. By Friday it was 45 degrees with rain moving in around midnight. There was a very strong storm moving from the southwest, as documented by the wind storms in Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi. The Indy area was also reporting marginal weather. The Indy crowd is usually a large contingent. We ended up with a total of 23 RV's and Rockets along with quite a showing of commercially built. We ended up having coffee, donuts, roasted corn, hotdogs, chips and Hooters wings. I canceled the Hooter's girls when they upped the price and knowing what the weather was to be. Anyway we had a great time. Wizz led a flight of 7 on a multi formation show. Kahuna reconfigured inflight, as per brief, into a 5 ship. Nice showing guys.

Door prizes were given away from Control Vision, Avery tools and Van's. With weather moving in, it was get a gift then bug out. I certainly understood.

Now for next year. Up to this point I have been reluctant to move the flyin due to it's convenience for me. Since Black Magic will be flyin shortly I am open to moving it to DVK. My thoughts here are with DVK's larger ramp and dual runways for cross winds, it will be a better environment. Those who have attended in the past, please send me an email to [email protected]

Again, thanks to Elaine and all who helped and attended. I had a blast as always.

I tried to get down, along with the rest of the Indy gang, but we had freezing rain and drizzle in the early afternoon. Sorry we missed it this year.

Ist time to miss

Dana,

I have made it the last three years and hated to miss BUT had good reason. N980BL was inspected Friday (and it passed!!) and I thought it important to get it all back together for the First Flight. Hope to do that about tomorrow. Count on another 9A at the next one, where ever it is!

Bob Kelly