mcsteatlh

Just wishing I guess. I seems that 2+1 seating set up would be ideal for my mission profile. I mean it is either a one place, two place, or four. Right? 70% of the time, I see myself needing two places, and the rest of the time, just three. I'm no designer or marketer, but I see the two place-four place argument so many times, it seems to me, what a lot of people really want are three seats. But what do I know?!

McStealth

Is the 3rd one small?

If the 3rd passenger is a small child, plenty of side-by-side RV builders install a seat for them in the baggage compartment.

Stretch-9

Hopefully if there are enough of us expressing interest... maybe this will be the next RV. I, and others have posted this before. While I realize that most of the time we only fly with 1 or 2 - and for most of the RVers out there this is fine. However, for me, there are times when I need a back seat. Or how many times do you wish you had a bit more baggage room? How many threads have there been on this or other websites addressing squeezing in folding bikes? ;) I've heard the argument that you can rent a spam can for those other flights. But frankly - my options for rentals are a couple of very tired C-172's. Having something better than a spam-can is why RV's are built.

Currently the only option for those that want a little more room than a 7/9 is an RV10. It is reportedly a wonderful plane - but building it and obtaining an O-540 is frankly quite a bit more expensive than the 7/9 series.

I think there is a market for a "Stretch-9". A "2+2". Something smaller than an RV-10. O-360 powered with either a slider or tilt-up canopy.

Does anyone have pics of a rear seat mod in a side-by-side RV? I'm concerned about restraining my little one properly but she's at the age where she has to be moving alllllll the time (2 yo).

My dream one would have three as well. Or rather two seater with enough space and weight in the back to choose if I want to install that third seat instead of main part of the cargo. Doesn?t have to be a full third seat, just a cramped full size one is ok. Would be used for a children/women 90% of the time anyhow.

Extremely useful flying to that local air show with two friends or if I fly "young eagles". Also my son loves taking a friend with him and that is just not possible in the current designs.

So a RV-7 SUV/station wagon maybe? :)

mgomez said:
If the 3rd passenger is a small child, plenty of side-by-side RV builders install a seat for them in the baggage compartment.

I've only seen one photo of a child seated in the baggage area. Can someone direct me to a builders site detailing the installation of a childs seat in the baggage area? Wondering how safe it would be?
My 9A is getting close to being finished and I have a 3 year old that I didn't have or expect when I started this project. Please don't suggest I sell the 9A and build a 10. After 4 years of building I want to FLY!

Thanks,

Robert Scott
9A

Aren't you expecting too much

Of all the GA aircraft out there how many are three seaters versus two or four?

Fact is if you need three then you have Cessnas and Pipers or the RV-10. Are you going to lobby Cessna to build a three seater? Do you think that there is a market for it that is not covered by their four seaters?

We can all dream...

of our "Ideal" plane...

ronlee said:
Of all the GA aircraft out there how many are three seaters versus two or four?

Fact is if you need three then you have Cessnas and Pipers or the RV-10. Are you going to lobby Cessna to build a three seater? Do you think that there is a market for it that is not covered by their four seaters?
Speaking for myself - I am not specifically asking for a "3-seater" - but rather something with a small back seat/probably less leg room than an RV-10 that would seat a small adult or a couple children. Maybe something like a Tiger with sticks instead of a yoke and a slightly smaller back seat. A kit like the Zenith CH-640 - but from VAN's! Something cruising on an O-360 instead of an O-540.

How many folks out there would like the additional room... but can't afford the extra $40,000 - $50,000 for an RV-10? JHMO - but I would argue that there is a big leap between an RV-9 and an RV-10. I think there is room in the middle for what I am describing.

And no, I am not lobbying Cessna! I AM lobbying Mr. VanGrunsven! ;)

Last edited:
Oh my!

My wife likes to shop. I couldn't build one or we'd spend our return fuel $$ on "A cute little antique end table... you could fit that, couldn't you honey?"

Just kidding, it's a good idea. Jump seat/cargo area. Make the seat both fold able (if safe to ride in) and removable.

Thing is, could you make a 2+1 that flies like an RV and hold a bubba in the back?

The only three seater I know of is the Cozy III. Designed by Nat Puffer, but I don't know if plans for it are still sold are there is a 4 seat design on the market.

Who needs an RV-10...?

Hi there,

Last year I posted a photo of my young son riding in the back of an RV-6 and since then there have been a couple of Private Mails asking for more details. Unfortunately while I check this website almost every day, I rarely actually log on (sorry DR!) so I never received the questions. My apologies to those concerned for this oversight - I never thought that anyone would be particularly interested in that subject.

If anyone is interested in knowing more, I'll keep an eye on this forum link and the PM's for a while and see how it goes.

Cheers!

rscott5559A said:
I've only seen one photo of a child seated in the baggage area. Can someone direct me to a builders site detailing the installation of a childs seat in the baggage area? Wondering how safe it would be?
My 9A is getting close to being finished and I have a 3 year old that I didn't have or expect when I started this project. Please don't suggest I sell the 9A and build a 10. After 4 years of building I want to FLY!

Thanks,

Robert Scott
9A
Ok I won't suggest you sell the -9A but how about selling the kid? ;)

(Someone had to say it.)

Stretch RV-6

The latest copy of Sport Aviation has a very nice article about a "stretch" RV-6 - although it is powered by a 540 class engine...

Paul Thomas said:
The only three seater I know of is the Cozy III. Designed by Nat Puffer, but I don't know if plans for it are still sold are there is a 4 seat design on the market.

I don't think anyone is selling the Cozy III plan, but why not go the for the Cozy IV (if inclined to go the bed sheet and honey route)? It's an improved version of the III, not much larger and available at ACS. I've hauled one extra person in the back seat of the IV very comfortably. The guy served coffed and sandwiches in route, it was a great trip.