Take an old taildragger like my Interstate Cadet & just land into the wind on a runway as wide as they are using.

Actually, a windstorm came up one day when I was flying, I landed across the runway to land into the wind. Runway was 60 ft. wide.

Not a demonstration of my skill, just luck. The plane is still usable.

no problem

I landed my 1948 Stinson 108-3, (big tail) in a 45 degree 35 gusting to 40 cross wind at Fox field, Lancaster, Ca. If someone were on the ground to watch, they would have seen an approach just like that.

Just put it down on the mains, hold the tail off, windward aeliron UP to spoil lift on that wing, and keep it straight with the rudder until slow enough to put the tail down.

Only problem, I could not turn off the runway----------when that big old fin got 90 to the wind, the whole a/c weathervaned back into the wind.

I would love to see one of those heave birds do that same stunt on a grass or gravel strip.

Mike

I once put a Supercub down with 21 knot winds 90 degrees to the runway.

I asked the FBO for the perferred runway on the way in. The guy replied it was my choice since winds were 90 degrees to the strip. The guy told me afterward that when he heard me call 'Supercub downwind for 24' he put his coat on and ran outside because he sure he was about to see an accident.

I let him down though. Niether the nose or tail left the centerline until I turned onto the taxiway. :D Piece of cake.

If I understand the theory behind a "Wheeled" TD landing correctly, you might be able to do it exactly the same...Put down on mains first and then correct and let the little wheel down.

Comments from the guys that know how to do a Wheeled landing?

Let's see you do it in a tricycle airplane!

Never mind a taildragger...the average pilot can't do that in a tricycle gear airplane! Do you think it's a coincidence that every airplane in that video was in Boeing factory colors? They were probably all flown by their test pilots, who one suspects are better than the average stick. They may even know what those annoying pedals on the floor are for.

Also, remember that telephoto lenses tend to exaggerate the crab angle.

Just put a wing down into wind, keep it straight with rudder, and land on one wheel keeping the tail up. It is actually fairly easy (depending on the winds, of course ;-) Once the downwind wheel is on the ground, a GENTLE application of differential braking should keep the nose pointed in the right direction if the wind is really strong. I have landed my -8 in 90 deg/12-14 kt crosswinds this way. I realize that is not a really high number, but it was for me ;-) (200 hr pilot, mostly on 172s)

Cheers

Last edited:
Crosswinds

Impressive landings! I think I'd divert to an airport with a more appropriate runway. Judging from the amount of crab, I'm guessing you would not need a very long runway! Steady crosswinds are one thing, it's the gusty, turbulent crosswinds that I find "entertaining".

Still researching planes so pardon the 'simple' question but would a 9 or 9a be the 'best' RV in cross wind situations?

thanks

John

x-wind technique

The one wheel landing mentioned by Mark, rv8bldr, works also, I had to do it in my t/d transition training, but I think it is easier to land as in the video.

The one wheel thing is something that requires more practice, and if you lose it in landing, the plane is going to flip/roll over with much more enegry (momentium) than a messed up wheel landing.

Bottom line is to get training in these techniques from a qualified t/d instructor, and them avoid the conditions that you are not qualified to handle whenever you can.

And of course, practice helps.

Mike

:p Just to let everyone know ... I don't think ANY RV could land down the runway in a cross wind strong enough to make that 777 crab like that.

I also like to watch how much the wing flexes and how fast the rudder moves during the last landing ... WOW that rudder is big and fast!

"mgomez - Never mind a taildragger...the average pilot can't do that in a tricycle gear airplane! Do you think it's a coincidence that every airplane in that video was in Boeing factory colors? They were probably all flown by their test pilots, who one suspects are better than the average stick. They may even know what those annoying pedals on the floor are for."

You got to be correct ... they have to be test pilots ... but you can't tell me by the last landing they weren't saying 'what the hell i'm i doing here!' ... at lease in their head.

While we are on the subject

I landed my 7A the other day in a 20 - 25 knot/80 degrees to the runway crosswind. I was standing on the rudder and still did not have enough, the nose was pointed about 5 degrees or so from centerline when I got the upwind wheel down. I think that is the limit (or beyond) for my plane. I certainly wouldn't want to try anything stronger.

What is the max x-wind component anyone has seen and still have FULL rudder authority to land straight down the centerline in their RV? What type?

touch down faster

hecilopter said:
I landed my 7A the other day in a 20 - 25 knot/80 degrees to the runway crosswind. I was standing on the rudder and still did not have enough, the nose was pointed about 5 degrees or so from centerline when I got the upwind wheel down. I think that is the limit (or beyond) for my plane. I certainly wouldn't want to try anything stronger.

What is the max x-wind component anyone has seen and still have FULL rudder authority to land straight down the centerline in their RV? What type?

Touch down at a faster airspeed and you won't have that problem. Next time leave the flaps up (partly or all the way, your call). You will touch down faster and have more rudder authority.

I have landed my RV-7 in similar or worse conditions than that -- with the old, smaller RV-8 rudder -- and I've never run out of rudder.

The taildragger has the "luxury" of being able to wheel land at a pretty swift airspeed. The catch is lowering the tail in gusty conditions. Touch down on the mains, raise the flaps if they were down, then lower the tail when you know you're below the airspeed at which you'd lift off. Pin that tail down and you're good to go.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

I'll try that next time

I had the flaps up, but used an approach speed only about 5 mph faster than normal (about 80 mph). Do you have to force it on the ground at the higher speed once in ground effect?

hecilopter said:
I had the flaps up, but used an approach speed only about 5 mph faster than normal (about 80 mph). Do you have to force it on the ground at the higher speed once in ground effect?

With a taildragger, a wheel landing is done at a very low angle of attack. I can't speak to how the -7A handles at higher speeds, because I assume you risk landing on the nosewheel first as the angle of attack decreases. Having the flaps up will increase the angle of attack at touchdown (relative to having flaps down), but maybe not enough to support higher landing speeds.

My assumption is that for any flap configuration, there's some MAXIMUM airspeed at which a -7A can be landed on the mains first.

My recommendation is to go out and practice, practice, practice.

I have over 1000 landings in my RV-7 so I'm pretty well familiar with it in most scenarios.

One point I'd like to make here -- without trying to start a senseless thread -- is that people rag on the taildraggers as being harder to land in a crosswind. I seriously beg to differ. This angle of attack issue is a perfect example of where the taildragger shines. Without having that nosewheel hanging low in front, the taildragger is able to wheel land at a much wider band of airspeeds. It can wheel land. It can three-point. It is there for the pilot to use however he sees fit -- with much more flexibility than the nosewheel (in my opinion). In a nosewheel airplane, there's pretty much just one attitude in which you're gonna touch that thing down. I see that as a limitation.

I know I'm in the minority here, oh well.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Mike S said:
The one wheel landing mentioned by Mark, rv8bldr, works also, I had to do it in my t/d transition training, but I think it is easier to land as in the video.

The one wheel thing is something that requires more practice, and if you lose it in landing, the plane is going to flip/roll over with much more enegry (momentium) than a messed up wheel landing.

Bottom line is to get training in these techniques from a qualified t/d instructor, and them avoid the conditions that you are not qualified to handle whenever you can.

And of course, practice helps.

Mike
I agree with Mike on the training issue, but not on the difficulty issue. The biggest problem with the crab/rudder-at-the-last-moment method is timing. Those big airliners have lots of inertia, so when they kick the rudder to straighten out, the crosswind will not start pushing them across the runway as fast as our little (read: light) RVs. They have more margin for error for straightening out early, whereas if we do it too early, we almost immediately start to drift sideways.

The thing I like the most about the wing down/one wheel landing is that you can get yourself lined up and relatively stable in (essentially) touch down position way out on long final. You have lots of time to get everything ready. As long as you do a proper wheel landing approach and touch down, the one wheel bit is easy.

My $0.02 ;-)

Anyone know what the accompanying sound track is?

Enigma, Return to Innocence from Enigma 2 The Cross of Changes

Great music.

George Jenson
Tucson, AZ
RV-7 Empennage in Boxes

Landed my Citabria in a 28kt gust 35 at 80 degrees to runway.

I used a tailwheel low wheel landing, and kept slightly above idle power on until I had it stopped to keep the rudder active. I approached about 5 kts faster. The Citabria is dirty enough that with the tail low, the speed will bleed off while the power keeps the ridder active. Once stopped, steering is easy with the brakes.

Dan is exactly correct, the different versions of the wheel landing allow a tailwheel to land in severe winds, you just have to use the correct technique for the situation.

Yea the Citabria is a good example of a nice puppy to Xwind land- but allways remember where to find those heal breaks while that foot is pressed all the way to the firewall :eek: I think the RV/ Tailwind/ Pitts is not a bad Xwind airplane with the rod or heavy springs to the tail wheel. you can get the tailwheel to the ground at a higher speed and you then have much xtra force to counter that Xwind (But don't listen to me, I have had the grass in the breaks of my Citabria and tailwind before!) :D

Brad RV-6A -firewall forward.

X-wind

Agree with the comment on Pitts. We've flown an S-2A for many years now and it is, hands down, the best crosswind landing airplane I've ever flown. It will handle 40 kts direct cross on hard surface, and we've landed in gusting winds to 55kts @ 45 degrees as well. In the latter case the ground speed was so low that you could angle across the runway (Natrona County in Casper, WY). The controls are so powerful and predictable at low speed that you just can't wait for a windy day to have some fun in the pattern. What were the winds in the video? Sure looked strong. Guess they can't bank too far with those big engines hanging down. The amount of yaw at touchdown was mind boggling, but it seemed to work fine. I remember the KC-135 was limited to 18 knots crosswind and a small amount of bank to avoid dragging an outboard nacelle. Anybody care to comment on how the RV-8 handles a crosswind? Bill

AZtailwind said:
Yea the Citabria is a good example of a nice puppy to Xwind land- but allways remember where to find those heal breaks while that foot is pressed all the way to the firewall :eek: I think the RV/ Tailwind/ Pitts is not a bad Xwind airplane with the rod or heavy springs to the tail wheel. you can get the tailwheel to the ground at a higher speed and you then have much xtra force to counter that Xwind (But don't listen to me, I have had the grass in the breaks of my Citabria and tailwind before!) :D

Brad RV-6A -firewall forward.

I learned to fly in Citabrias, some with heel brakes and some with toe brakes. I actually avoided the heal brake ones until the owner of the FBO found out. He forbid me from flying with toe brakes until after I got my license. It's funny....after a while, I actually started prefering heal brakes but then again, the Citabria's a pussycat x-wind or not.

Side load

Trike or TD, probably not a good idea to put a big side load on the RV landing gear.

Never had any real crosswinds to train in when earning my ticket. Moved to a location where the wind occasionally makes life challenging. Spent a few bucks getting extra training for landing in strong crosswind before flying my RV. Best money I ever spent(excluding, of course, the check that went to Van's Aircraft).

Money spent on additional training/instruction is always money well spent.

Drag Links

I put some side loads on this gear once, landing in a Hong Kong Typhoon. Check the double drag links and the Main strut bigger than my beer gut.
Like a few RV reports on this thread, I too ran out of rudder in the landing roll. But, it is fairly beefy gear.
Pete.

tail dragger

I'll bet two of those tires weight more than my RV8!

Pete - How'd you get that dapper fellow to pose for you? :)