tkatc

Well Known Member
I bought the glare shield trim piece and fabric from ClassicAero. I am contemplating several methods to accomplish re-doing my glare shield. Currently there is a large pinch welt holding not only the glare shield edge but also a piece of foam and fabric. It is a pain in the arse to get it all situated and never looks right. I have seen the easy solutions of paint or fabric straight on to the aluminum. They do a fine job but I prefer to hide my GPS antennas under the fabric just as the original builder did. I would have left it alone but the fabric that was installed originally doesn't lay flat and isn't really all that "finished"

As it sits, there is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so of foam laying on the glare shield with cut outs for each antenna. Then the fabric attempts to cover everything in a single coat. I would like to get some foam and perhaps some thin aluminum, cut to shape, and wrap it in the new material supplied by ClassicAero. (sort of like a headliner in a car that just slides into place)This material is expensive and I really only have one shot to get it right. I need pictures and ideas on how to go about this small but hi-profile project. If you post pics of a painted glare shield it might not help me find a solution but it may spark an idea in me or somebody else so please post what you have.

I have contemplated just having the material sewn over some foam onto a fabric backing but fear it would not be rigid enough to stay in place and the thought of gluing the foam and fabric to aluminum sheet seems a bit complicated. I'll take any/all suggestions aside from moving the antennas.:D

Instead of glue, use double-stick tape. At least it would be removable.

I used some fabric I got from Bill Repucci, which is essentially the soft half of velcro. I put a bunch of sticky tape on the aluminum and stuck the fabric down, then used some rubber channel to finish the edge. Not quite what you are doing, but maybe it will spark an idea.

greg

Thanks for the reply Greg!

Rick, i have seen that thread and really like the look of the glare shield. I am shooting for something similar. Do you know what was used as the "frame" for the upholstery?

I wqs thinking perhaps I could wrap my material round carpet. That would be somewhat stiff but still flexible enough to mold to the contour of the shield.

I will take a picture when I go to the hanger and post today but it is similar to Greg for a tip up and using Classic Aero lather like material and it does an excellent job. I had the luxury of doing it during the build so it was easier to install. Basically it is backed with a thin/high density foam and glued down to the edge of canopy in the front. The edge is covered by their glare shield edge cover which is matching color and Antenna wiring can be tucked under the edge trim.

Here are a couple of pix of mine, not the easiest to take picture of.

DSC_6368 by bavafa1, on Flickr

Here is a pix to give you an idea how the edge piece is attached

DSC_6373 by bavafa1, on Flickr

And a pix as how I have hidden the wire to the XMWeather antenna. There is no hole drilled in the glare shield, the wire runs under the glare shield edge protector.

DSC_6371 by bavafa1, on Flickr