ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I?ve been diagnosed with analysis paralysis! You know, you always think that happens to the other guy?never yourself. It sneaks up on you so slowly, you never see it coming. It all starts with just a bit of nagging doubt about something as simple as the location of a hole. You might wait until the end of the night to drill that hole after mulling it over in your head for a while.

Things begin to get out of hand once you?re ?Vandalized? the first time. You?re sure you put that hole right where the plans told you to put it but by doing that, you?ve now made your life harder because now it interferes with something else. After a search on VAF, you find that EVERYBODY has done it exactly as outlined in the plans and EVERYBODY screwed it up too.

After a few of those, the paralysis starts to set in. What else is out there lurking? The answer is out there, probably on VAF, but you don?t know the question until after you?ve screwed it up. So you question everything on the drawing and run things over in your mind, sometimes for days or weeks. I don?t know how many times I?ve run things by a good friend of mine at work, working out a plan and then trying to find something wrong with it. What bad ramification will my seeming small action have for me in the future? What corner will I paint myself into? What am I not seeing?

I?ve been taking a break from the airplane for the last couple of weeks to complete a long overdue ?honey do?, remodeling one of our bathrooms. I was on the phone with the shower pan manufacturer stressing about miniscule details. I told him that I tend to over think things. He asked me if I was an engineer by chance. He NAILED IT! He said he sees that all the time from guys like me.

So, after 6+ years of building, I finally was diagnosed by another guy at work. It makes perfect sense. I wish I was diagnosed years ago. I?m not sure if I could have fixed it but at least I would have had awareness.

Here I am on the home stretch and most of the fears that I had didn?t materialize. Was this a result of my completeness or were most things just never a big concern from the get go? There is a line in a Tom Petty song that goes ?Most things I worry about never happen anyway?. Ain?t that the truth?

So for you guys that get your planes done in 24 months, my hat is off to you. Of course, if I take off my hat I wonder if my head and face will burn. That would obviously increase my chance of skin cancer and I don?t want that. I guess I should put on some sunscreen. I wonder what SPF I should use. 50 would be good I guess but I only have 30 in the house. Of course that 30 is pretty old, maybe past its? expiration date. I wonder what would happen if I used it anyway?would it be less effective? OK, I better just go out and get a new tube of 50. Wow, they come in regular formula and a kid?s no tears formula. Well, I don?t like eye irritation but I wonder if that formula is less effective. Why would they have two formulas out unless one is more effective that the other one? Man, I'm tired of thinking about this. I?m kinda hungry. It?s almost time for lunch. Let?s see, what could I eat? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I guess I should put on some sunscreen. I wonder what SPF I should use. 50 would be good I guess but I only have 30 in the house. Of course that 30 is pretty old, maybe past its? expiration date. I wonder what would happen if I used it anyway?would it be less effective? OK, I better just go out and get a new tube of 50. Wow, they come in regular formula and a kid?s no tears formula. Well, I don?t like eye irritation but I wonder if that formula is less effective. Why would they have two formulas out unless one is more effective that the other one? Man, I'm tired of thinking about this. I?m kinda hungry. It?s almost time for lunch. Let?s see, what could I eat?

Has anyone studied the long term effects of the ingredients in sunscreen? We'll probably find out 20 years from now it causes all of our kids to be sterile. Maybe you should put your hat back on.

:D

50 would be good I guess but I only have 30 in the house.

Just put on 30 and add another coat of it in an hour--then you can rest assured that you have SPF 60! Even if it is out of date and degraded by 15%, you should still have SPF 51. Of course, an engineer would need to verify my assumption on this. :D

Skyking902001

If he sweats....will it dilute the screen? I say wear the hat to be sure. Give the 2 year builder a "wink" instead and let him/her experience the analysis paralysis first hand.:D:D

Import of course

I like to call it Guinness Guidance

Cheers, I need to go find some guidance!

Analysis Paralysis

Well, I call Analysis Paralysis "The Curse of the Engineer". By nature and by training we seek the "best" solution to the problem, and we thrive on the process. When one problem is solved, another is sought. But what is the "best" solution? The answer is not in the back of the book. And the "best" solution for one problem is not necessarily the "best" solution to another.

Looking over my past mistakes I take solace in knowing that I did the "best" job I could at the time given the constraints of time and money. With my improved knowledge and skills, I know I could do better now, but I can live with them if they are small mistakes.

But what is a "small" mistake? It may be nonexistant to some but....

Best advice I've read on this forum for analysis paralysis is "build on!"

My suggestion!

Dude, cut back on the caffeine and review your vitamin intake, it may be excessive.:D:)

Best wishes, I exhibit some similar traits:rolleyes:

Dude, cut back on the caffeine and review your vitamin intake, it may be excessive.:D:)

Best wishes, I exhibit some similar traits:rolleyes:

Yes Tom, I've seen your wings :)... Hilocks in the spar wasn't it?

I still have your molds for nav lights too, I haven't got around to using them because the project has been sitting for a year... but if you need them let me know.

not all are Dilberts

Not all Engineers are paralyzed by decisions. Nor do all believe that there is always a "best" answer. Some of us know that many decisions are a compromise of competing and contradictory parameters, but we forge-on getting the job done and releasing the prints, or fabricating the parts. Looking back, often the design can be improved, but we made the schedule within budget. Other times we get bit; but hopefully we have an out.