Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Well folks, you know how building can take a toll on your flying time and keeping legal can for instrument flying can be a bit trying. Especially when you are at the end of the build and doing the 40 hour fly off time. I was behind on approaches, called the instructor and went up for IPC.

My instructor has never been in a RV, much less a homebuilt before, but he decided he would brave a homebuilt for the first time since he thought mine looked like I had really taken the effort to do it "right".

First impression - Nice panel, well equiped for instrument flight. "I would like to have this panel". Not a bad start.

Second impression - Whoa - this thing has some power (ground roll). Wheels up and 1500 feet per minute climb.

Third impression - Turn left to 360. "Hey...easy on the turn..." Now it comes time....Ok your plane....."Uh, this thing is so responsive...I like it"

4th Impression (and my favorite).....I'm on the ILS inbound from the IAF and I hear "Slow this thing down"......CAN YOU SAY SWEET.....He was amazed at how fast it moves with low power settings. After I showed him how it does slow down, his comfort level rose rapidly. He found out that 120 knots is very stable and a comfortable speed when setting up the approach.

After we landed and pulled up to the hanger, HE was the one with the RV grin. He never expected a homebuilt to fly like an RV did. He almost felt guilty for instruction time, signed my log book with a smile and asked me to call him anytime I just wanted someone to ride along with me. He was ready to go back up and get a chance to really get a hold of the stick!!!

In his own words..."I never expected anything like this from a homebuilt....this flies as good as it looks".

HOOK, LINE, and SINKER

Good on ya, mate........

......They just don't know until you show 'em! A big reason that over 6000 are flying and another 20,000 or so being assembled.

Good deal,

During my first BFR in the 6A, I handed it over to the instructor, after a few minutes he made a right level 360 and was amazesd that he was in a 500 fpm climb.

wait a minute

Only a 1500FPM climb?...What wrong with your bird?...Not at sea level, FP prop?

If I'm not doing North of 2k per min it doesn't feel like I'm impressing anyone..:)

Frank

Taking it easy

Only a 1500FPM climb?...What wrong with your bird?...Not at sea level, FP prop?

If I'm not doing North of 2k per min it doesn't feel like I'm impressing anyone..:)

Frank

Frank - Nothing wrong with my bird. Airport is at a whooping 250 feet MSL and I have a CS prop.

Didn't want to show off on the first takeoff. Remember this was an IPC done at night. Gotta be smooth.

Also after gaving him a "taste", he is wanting to go again for a fun flight. Don't forget that he had never been in an experimental or flown in anything that performs like an RV.

I think its funny that an instructor now wants to go for just the fun of it. Who knows, I might just get my BFR next year for free.

right on Webb........all is going well I see.....Been buildin like a maniac tryin to catch up

Robb...7a closin the first tank 1-16-09

Is this really fair???

I mean, really! Don't you have any concern for the rest of us who are out here pounding rivets every day? :cool:

Your day is coming

I mean, really! Don't you have any concern for the rest of us who are out here pounding rivets every day? :cool:

In my best Asian voice...."Your day will come and you will receive your reward as you elevate from this earth into the heavens on your new found wings wheathopper".

Keep pounding those rivets. I found that others fun was my motivation. It also beats the living daylights out of renting 40 year old spam cans.

So you took your instructor flying

Webb, I really enjoyed your post. I have shared it with the people in my office. It describes the feeling of one who has only flown production certified airplanes when given a ride in a modern design. We know the only real modern designing is done on the experimental aircraft side of the house. The RV is perhaps the best compromise of the modern designs. It is reasonably fast, it is capable of most aerobatics and lands slow enough that most pilots can handle the landing.

Last edited:
Thanks

Webb, I really enjoyed your post. I have shared it with the people in my office. It describes the feeling of one who has only flown production certified airplanes when given a ride in a modern design. We know the only real modern designing is done on the experimental aircraft side of the house. The RV is perhaps the best compromise of the modern designs. It is reasonably fast, it is capable of most aerobatics and lands slow enough that most pilots can handle the landing.

Thanks on the kind words. It is truly a remarkable plane to fly that has good slow handling characteristics yet comes with speed. Perhaps the weakest area is the yawl in gusty wind but that is overcome by the quick response the stick gives you.

Also, the RV is truly the only way I could have possibly afforded a NEW airplane. Others are finding this out too. The most successful plane of all is the C172 with production somewhere around 42.5 thousand over the years and RV are rapidly gaining on that with 6K flying and 20K being built.

Second impression - Whoa - this thing has some power (ground roll). Wheels up and 1500 feet per minute climb.
"Wheels up"? Must be that RV-7A RG version I've heard about. :D

Sweet report. Glad your instructor was impressed; exactly why so many people pound all those rivets.

TODR

3 up and locked

"Wheels up"? Must be that RV-7A RG version I've heard about. :D

You mean like this one??

rv6apaint3nj4.jpg

But Doug....Wheels up sounds so much sexier than plain old vanilla "took off" and the young ladies swoon over all that fancy aviator talk........and I didn't lie, the wheels do go up...with the rest of the plane.

Last edited:
IPC at night

Ahh now I get it..

Yes, take him for a fun flight..off a 6000' runway I have seen 3000FPM..very briefly using the whole runway..

I know a rocket can do that all the time, but its still way impressive to a spam can flying CFI..:)

Enjoy

Frank