cfsanford

After 3+ years of needs analysis (do I need an RV-8? - no, but...), self-analysis (can I do this? - I think so, but...), 2 years of "lurking" on this site (yes, I did make my annual donation - probably the best "builder's investment" I could make in this project), 3 years at Oshkosh, 2 EAA Sportair Workshops and endless procrastination, I finally decided to take the plunge and actually get started! Cleaned out the shop (just finished a sliding-seat rowing scull project for my wife), borrowed and bought metal-working tools (investments with Isham and Avery - both great organizations), finished 2 practice kits and ordered my empenage kit from Van's. Incredibly, it was here 3 days later! I proceeded to unpack, inventory, organize, shelve, label, re-organize ... and procrastinate! This week was it - I had to get off the bench and start playing! I found the empenage kit beautifully engineered, and the instructions and plans elegantly lucid. Finished the aft and forward spars and lo and behold - this is really fun!! I had to cleco the halves together just to see something resembling a "real" airplane part. Even my engineer son, visiting for the weekend, was impressed. Now I can't wait until I can get out to the shop.

2a8nsix.jpg

I realize I'm starting a long journey - but I enjoy journeys and destinations. I think both will be great with this project.

Many thanks to the many contributors to this and other sites who so generously share both their enthusiasm, opinions and knowledge. We all obviously owe Van's for such a great product. Special thanks to Doug Reeves for enabling the rest of us to communicate so easily - and a shameless plug, for I think anyone who frequents this site should make an annual donation. Great return on investment!

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you in the future - online or in person.

Enjoy it! The build for me has covered the range of good and bad emotions and yet it prevails - thus far. I hope to fly to OSH (I didn't say which year :)) and although the build has and continues to be fun I am sooo looking forward to flying it.
I am 4 yrs into it and 1700hrs. 90% done and 90% to go stage!

Best of luck and do something on it every day - no matter how simple.

with a workshop like yours, you'll have no problem. I found staying organized and uncluttered in the shop to be invaluable in keeping progress steady. Good luck!

Great shop you have Sir! Love that Mac in the corner. All you need is a couch to complete moving in :)

One good thing - looks like more build time this fall. I don't think I'll be wasting a lot of Sundays watching the Cowboys!

Fagg

You have the right attitude;
I started building because it was the only way I could get an RV-8.
Some where along the way I began to enjoy the process of building.
You have started out enjoying the building, and that's a good thing.

And, like most RV builders....

...the balsa-wood airplane on the shelf, is where a lot of us got started.

Same structure, just bigger pieces, is what an old sage told me when my Cassut spar and rib pieces arrived.

Best,

Pre-punched... *sigh*

Took me almost 65 hours of build time to get my RV-3 project to the same point yours is in your photo...Just got there yesterday.

Someday I'll have to try one of those new-fangled pre-punched kits!! ;) Welcome to the party!

...the balsa-wood airplane on the shelf, is where a lot of us got started.

Same structure, just bigger pieces, is what an old sage told me when my Cassut spar and rib pieces arrived.

Best,

Noticed that too----looks like a Goldberg Ultimate

Mike
The balsa model on the wall is indeed an Ultimate. I actually got involved in model aviation with my son in his early teens (now well over a decade ago). We had some great times building and flying rc. He eventually moved on to cars, girls and then off to college. I've continued rc periodically. Now he's graduated and living in the Boulder CO area, working as an engineer. The Ultimate was one of our last projects, but we never got around to covering it. I decided to keep it as a "bare sticks" model in the workshop in memory of some great times together. (My rc mortality rate was/is pretty high!) Chris was in this weekend. I really enjoyed sharing the progress on the RV project with him. Think he's been bitten by the bug, but I suspect new career and financial realities will temper his enthusiasm for awhile. :)
Fagg

It might be time to take the word "aspiring" out of your profile, Mr. Sanford.

From the photos, I'd say you are an RV-8 builder.

Fagg (and others)

What are the kits like these days? The 8 I just got to fly this year was started almost 10 years ago with my dad :) They are still prepunched I guess, but I've heard they are punched with the holes to the correct size for the rivets! That would certainly be a leap ahead it seems like. If anyone cares to comment on the kit these days, I'm all ears...er eyes.

Thanks
Chris

Chris
I'm certainly the wrong guy to give you the "BIG PICTURE" perspective, as I'm only 20 hours into my build. However, I can tell you that the current generation of matched hole kits represent incredible engineering and manufacturing. I'm amazed that I can assemble a skeleton with no jigs, cleco everything together then attach the pre-punched skins over the skeleton - and everything fits! The holes on the 20-25 pieces that I assembled on the skeleton actually line up almost perfectly with the big sheet of pre-punched aluminum skin! You do still have to drill out the holes to a slightly larger size to fit the prescribed rivets, and you actually have to think a bit as you read through the instructions and plans (particularly the plans for me) - but that's part of both the fun and gratification. I suspect this "drilling out to size" exercise is both a discipline, a penance and perhaps a bit of engineering, because any slight (and I do mean slight) discrepancy in the "match" of holes is corrected by the drilling process. Bottom line is thus far the kit is amazingly well conceived! I'm sure others can offer a far broader perspective from having gone through more or all of the kit construction. Maybe I'll encounter some disappointments or new frustrations later in the build. I'll keep you posted.
Fagg

My understanding is that the drilling also stress relieves the hole------punching a hole leaves micro stress tears in the material.

Congratulations for making the leap, Fagg! Very soon you'll be wondering what took you so long, if that thought hasn't hit you already. I embarked on my RV-7A adventure a little over 3-1/2 years ago, after lurking and dreaming for a long time. It's the greatest decision I've ever made, and about the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life. Yes, the accuracy and engineering of these kits is absolutely astounding. You'll appreciate that even more as you begin to put big pieces of the plane together and marvel at how well everything fits.

I can tell you've been smitten, as I have. I actually wrote an ode to my "mistress" one night not too long ago. You can read about her right here if you like:

My Mistress

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted and keep the pictures coming, please!

Bruce
Loved your ode. I'll have to share it with my wife - just so she doesn't feel like I'm the only RV builder with an "aluminum mistress". Beyond that, your web pages are great - I can practically feel your enthusiasm! Thanks for sharing.
Fagg