DCat22

Well Known Member
So...howdy, I'm Rick. :)

Although I've made a few posts, I've been lurking on the building part of things for a long while. Considering all sorts of things. Having made several mental "decisions" of what to build as a test, the RV (and specifically RV-7) is the only one that has really left me excited every time I think about it.

I got my PPC earlier this year...although I started in 1999, so I'm used to being patient. Currently have a little over 100 hours, about 1/4 TW...my two favorite rentals being the DA20 and Citabria (or Super-D...just did an acro intro). Ideally, as for a mission, my plane would be two-person side-by-side, good fast XC machine but capable of acro, and just having fun too...able to land on short grass strips...and I'm a big fan of sticked planes. Normally I fly out of DWH or AXH these days.

An RV sounds like a great fit to me!

Still undecided on the usual debates: TW vs. NW, Tip-up vs. Slide. Traditional vs Rotary. (On the engine side, I'll probably end up traditional...but I drive an RX8...and was planning to get a junked Renesis engine just to take apart see how I feel about it..which I was going to do anyway just out of non-aviation curiosity.)

And still not 100% sure of the model...or building even...for me. I've always been an experimenter, and I'll probably end up doing some custom electrical control work as well. I'll probably take way too much time tinkering, actually...but I need things fairly spread out so that money keeps up with costs. That said, was planning to get preview plans and one of the test kits before getting much further to make sure I can see myself doing it. (Although I did submit an N-number reservation today.... ;))

So... I've never actually gone over an RV up close, or flown in one. (I did get a good look at a beautiful Rocket at T41 though.) Seems like the Houston area has a formidable and friendly RV resource from some of the other threads.

Anyone interested in flying around some very gracious dead weight? (Or just letting me get a good look at what I would be getting myself into? :D)

KAXH - N131RV

Anyone interested in flying around some very gracious dead weight? (Or just letting me get a good look at what I would be getting myself into? :D)

N131RV is parked on the ramp at KAXH two to three times a week. While the days are a bit too short for me to give rides, you are certainly welcome to look as much as you like. I arrive early (usually before 8:00 am) and depart at 4:00 pm (or so) these days.

As the days get longer, so will my stays in Houston.

Although I've made a few posts, I've been lurking on the building part of things for a long while. Considering all sorts of things. Having made several mental "decisions" of what to build as a test, the RV (and specifically RV-7) is the only one that has really left me excited every time I think about it.

I got my PPC earlier this year...although I started in 1999, so I'm used to being patient. Currently have a little over 100 hours, about 1/4 TW...my two favorite rentals being the DA20 and Citabria (or Super-D...just did an acro intro). Ideally, as for a mission, my plane would be two-person side-by-side, good fast XC machine but capable of acro, and just having fun too...able to land on short grass strips...and I'm a big fan of sticked planes. Normally I fly out of DWH or AXH these days.

An RV sounds like a great fit to me!

Still undecided on the usual debates: TW vs. NW, Tip-up vs. Slide. Traditional vs Rotary. (On the engine side, I'll probably end up traditional...but I drive an RX8...and was planning to get a junked Renesis engine just to take apart see how I feel about it..which I was going to do anyway just out of non-aviation curiosity.)

And still not 100% sure of the model...or building even...for me. I've always been an experimenter, and I'll probably end up doing some custom electrical control work as well. I'll probably take way too much time tinkering, actually...but I need things fairly spread out so that money keeps up with costs. That said, was planning to get preview plans and one of the test kits before getting much further to make sure I can see myself doing it. (Although I did submit an N-number reservation today.... ;))

So... I've never actually gone over an RV up close, or flown in one. (I did get a good look at a beautiful Rocket at T41 though.) Seems like the Houston area has a formidable and friendly RV resource from some of the other threads.

Hi Rick,

What part of Houston are you located?

There are quite a few RVs at Conroe CXO, I know there are some at Hooks as well..

N131RV is parked on the ramp at KAXH two to three times a week. While the days are a bit too short for me to give rides, you are certainly welcome to look as much as you like. I arrive early (usually before 8:00 am) and depart at 4:00 pm (or so) these days.

Thanks! Normally I'm not out during the day on the weekdays, but that could be changing...

Hi Rick,

What part of Houston are you located?

There are quite a few RVs at Conroe CXO, I know there are some at Hooks as well..

I am downtown in the Heights...so really, any Houston airport is "nearby". (Spent a lot of time flying to CXO from DWH, and over Lake Conroe during my PPC finish up...friendly folks in the new tower too.)

Oh...curious question. Why prompted you to switch from the 7 to 8? (I'd probably go for tandem if it wasn't for my primary passenger and better half's preference... Although I don't mind either configuration.)

Hello Rick,

There is a Houston RV Builder's Group that gets together at local airports (with restaurants on or near the field) the third Saturday of every month. Kevin Wees organizes it, and usually posts the location here, so look for it! We have a Yahoo group, but it pretty much just gets used to announce the location of the next gathering.

My wife, Louise, and I are at Polly Ranch with an RV-8, RV-6 and a -3 under construction if you want to see them - I think we'll be hosting a Saturday at our place soon!

Paul

DWH

Hi Rick,

I'm based at DWH, 'T' Hanger G3. Your welcome to come in past and look at a 7A, anytime you see the hanger doors open just come in and say hello. I'm only there at the weekends so this might suite your schedule.

Thanks! Normally I'm not out during the day on the weekdays, but that could be changing...

I am downtown in the Heights...so really, any Houston airport is "nearby". (Spent a lot of time flying to CXO from DWH, and over Lake Conroe during my PPC finish up...friendly folks in the new tower too.)

Oh...curious question. Why prompted you to switch from the 7 to 8? (I'd probably go for tandem if it wasn't for my primary passenger and better half's preference... Although I don't mind either configuration.)

Simple answer.. I rode in an 8....