SteelMike

Well Known Member
Hey Guys - long time hover-er, first time poster. Hope you can keep the flames to a minimum.

I'm needing some reassurance because I've been seriously considering building an RV-7. It seems so outlandish. Can I actually finish this thing? Will I go backrupt? Will it ruin my relationships, my health, and my general well-being?

How much pain and suffering is this going to cause me?

I'm a little freaked out.

Any thoughts / perspective would be appreciated...

Hey Guys - long time hover-er, first time poster. Hope you can keep the flames to a minimum.

I'm needing some reassurance because I've been seriously considering building an RV-7. It seems so outlandish. Can I actually finish this thing? Will I go backrupt? Will it ruin my relationships, my health, and my general well-being?

I'm a little freaked out.

Any thoughts / perspective would be appreciated...

The fact that you are aware of the potential pitfalls before starting puts you one step ahead. Yes, it can do all the things you listed or none of them. It isn't the project, it's you. Some people get 1 hour of work done in 1 hour. Others can spend 5 hours of shop time and still not have 1 hour of work done. Spread out over the life of the project this can make completion of the airplane very uncertain. Know what type of production worker you are. Know how much time you will have. Know how much cash it will cost.

Go for it!

Can I actually finish this thing?
Sure you can! :)

Will I go backrupt?
Maybe... :eek:

Will it ruin my relationships,
Some of them. :eek:

SteelMike;232452 my health[/quote said:
You bet! :confused:

and my general well-being?
Absolutely. :p

More than you can possibly imagine! :cool:

But it'll all be worth it when you take your first flight!!! :D

RV-7

You can do it. Perseverance is the key. Do something constructive toward finishing the plane EVERY DAY!!!! Don't let it become like jogging or exercise where you skip one day and the next day is easier to skip.

The skills required are not hard to learn. Somewhere between Neanderthal/Cro-magnon and Homo Sapiens skill set will do.:rolleyes: (Well, maybe just a bit more, but if you're handy with tools it's well within reach.)

For some, it's addictive and you become a repeat offender!

The thrill of flying something you built with your own hands in your garage is indescribable.

Be prepared to give up build time for family time though. Families are more important, but you can balance both.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Looking at the Van's order form is kind of like looking down the barrel of a gun... And it feels totally overwhelming!

I could definitely see myself as a repeat-offender.

Curious if I fit in here... Are you all the type of people that started out with plastic models as a kid, built RC airplanes (and maybe helicopters) and then flew - and crashed - the **** out of them. Got your PPL but couldn't quite figure out what to do with it, and always dreamed of owning a sleek, sexy plane (first it was a mooney, then a lancair, then a cirrus, then a columbia)? And then you found the RV-7 or 10 or whatever? That's me...

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Looking at the Van's order form is kind of like looking down the barrel of a gun... And it feels totally overwhelming!

I could definitely see myself as a repeat-offender.

Curious if I fit in here... Are you all the type of people that started out with plastic models as a kid, built RC airplanes (and maybe helicopters) and then flew - and crashed - the **** out of them. Got your PPL but couldn't quite figure out what to do with it, and always dreamed of owning a sleek, sexy plane (first it was a mooney, then a lancair, then a cirrus, then a columbia)? And then you found the RV-7 or 10 or whatever? That's me...

I am guilty on all counts:)

What ever you do if you don't want to build, don't take a ride in one!!! Because if you do, then stick a fork in you cause you are done.

I find my building time to be the most relaxing part of the day. I thought it would be frustrating given my type A personality, but at the end of a hectic day when i go out in the garage and drill a few holes all the days problems wash away.

Sanity - Insanity

I was basically in the same position two years ago as you are in now. I will tell you with no reservations what so ever - this is NOT rocket surgery. The RV kits are HUGE errector sets. All of the parts that I have received from Vans has gone together perfectly. You do not need any special skills.

What you will need is a budget. I am building my -9 on a strict budget (of sorts) Nothing has been bought with credit. Once the money is in the bank, another sub kit is bought.

Then, with the outstanding support from Vans and this people of this Forum (among other places) you will have no question that cannot be answered.

One of your biggest options will be whether or not you confess to any mistakes and or parts you had to scrap. Myself, well I haven't made any mistakes!:D

Good luck - once you start - it's all fun!

Bugsy, btw, your comments are very helpful. One of the thing I'm worried about is the seemingly monumental amount of frustration that is in my future. When things don't go together right or something's missing, it drives me crazy.

It's good to hear that the projects tend to go together smoothly and that the build time can be relatively relaxing.

Builder or flyer?

Hi.

I think you schould try to define wether you're e builder og flyer? (do you want to BUILD or FLY that thing?)

Most people are a mix of both, but to varying degree.
I started out as a 25% builder and 75% flyer, but gradually changed to 50/50 when I discovered that building is REALLY fun!

If your primary interest however, is to FLY the RV, then you might consider bying a flying RV?
There's quite a few superb planes for sale from time to time, and you might find your dream machine there?

Is there any RV'ers close to you whom you can visit? That might help your decition...

Regards from someone who soon (hopefully) have a flying -7 and have ANOTHER -7 in my shop waiting to be started working on.... (building IS fun, even for pilots...)

PS: if you can afford the added expense, I recommend the QB without doubt!

Last edited:
I'd say I'm about 25% builder, 75% flyer, as you said. I've always enjoyed building things, but nothing of this magnitude before.

The real kicker for me is that you can get a super-high-performance airplane at a third of the cost, and then after all of that, you can do the maintenance yourself. Of course, this isn't the case if you buy a plane that's already been built, so that's out of the question.

NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION........

I'd say I'm about 25% builder, 75% flyer, as you said. I've always enjoyed building things, but nothing of this magnitude before.

The real kicker for me is that you can get a super-high-performance airplane at a third of the cost, and then after all of that, you can do the maintenance yourself. Of course, this isn't the case if you buy a plane that's already been built, so that's out of the question.

If you purchase an RV that is already built YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO ALL OF THE MAINTENANCE.

What you do need an A&P for, is to sign off the annual condition inspection.

EAA...

.....has chapters all over the country, Mike. Visit www.eaa.org and click on "chapters" or something like that.

You'll meet builders of all sorts, visit their shops and look them in the eye. More likely than not, you'll find RV builders to go visit and discuss these matters. I've had a lot of guys here from all over the country and their build times vary from 1 1/2 years to 15 years and everything in between. Raising kids, preventing divorce, budgeting and career moves decide the length of the build, as does your discipline and the WILL to complete the project.

As has been said, you can buy a nice -6 for way less than you can build it for and fly right now.

Regards,

snip...Can I actually finish this thing? Will I go backrupt? Will it ruin my relationships, my health, and my general well-being? How much pain and suffering is this going to cause me?

Welcome Mike !

Yes. No. Maybe, if you're not careful. Probably not. No. A lot.

...less than 60 seconds into your first flight you'll let out a long exhaile and the smile will be so big the corners of your mouth will touch on the back side of your head...and you'll know then that it was all worth it.

I'm 11 years into the hobby now (and five years flying) and both the family and I still think it was worth it (and are glad I did it).

b,
d

<<The real kicker for me is that you can get a super-high-performance airplane at a third of the cost, and then after all of that, you can do the maintenance yourself.>>

Fine as long as they're just kickers. Remember, you can just buy one for the same or a little more money, and maintain it as you wish. I feel sorry for the guys who build purely to save money. For too many of them the process turns into a grind. They start judging the quality of their work based on a "stick it out, get it finished" criteria, and it shows in the finished product. Sure, they assembled an airplane, an admirable thing. But....you can say the same about sticking out a long loveless marriage, or a gold watch for 30 years in a job you hated....

When you built those RC's, did you admire a well done part? Did you get a lot of satisfaction holding it in your hands? When the world was handing you a bad day, did you find it a pleasant diversion to turn your mind to your project?

I've been working on my -9A for over two years now and still occassionally get anxiety attacks over the enormity of the project. The trick is to continually remind yourself that you're not building an airplane - you're building airplane parts. Heck, anyone can build a vertical stabillizer or an elevator! One day you'll have a shop full of airplane parts which you'll assemble into a flying aircraft! :D

"A journy of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -chinese proverb.

"How do you eat a cow? One hamburger at a time!" :eek: -midwestern philosophy

Okay, I think i'm getting the picture.

I actually look forward to the build. I'm primarily results driven, but I appreciate good worksmanship too. I'm very pragmatic about my work quality. Not to anal to get anything finished, not to sloppy for it to be safe. Actually, my concern with the build is that I'll just be obsessed with it to the detriment of the other areas of my life.

I'm actually going to be visiting a general session of our local eaa tomorrow (was already on the calendar). Oh, and I don't want to build purely for financial reasons, although to get a certified airplane with like-performance would likely cost many hundreds of thousands of dollars (which is just silly, even if I could afford it). Even then there'd be no aerobatics which is a big draw for me.

For all you first-timers out there, did you feel the same way when considering the build?

The Home Front

It's a valid concern. It's been talked about here on the forum before, but I think the key is finding balance between the project and other facets of your life. I made a deal with my wife prior to purchasing that she and the kids would not become a project widow and orphans. They have the right to jump to the head of the project at any time. The result is I don't get to spend as much time in the shop as I'd like and it will take me longer to finish as a consequence--so be it. I look at it as a labor of love so it will get done when it gets done. Would I like it to be finished tomorrow, you bet, but I don't fret about it. I just keep chipping away at it, sometimes times as little as 15min right before bed, but I try to do something everyday to make progress even if it's just reading ahead in the plans. When I really get the itch to fly I go rent--nothing beats flying a 35yr old beat up Cessna to reenergize your motivation to build! :D

Ya know, you could also buy one already flying. Adopting an RV is certainly an option. There are usually a couple listed here & a couple more at barnstormers.

I bought mine already flying & do all my own maintenance. Find an A&P to work with for the things you're not sure about & to get it signed off for the yearly conditional inspection & you'll be all set!

That said, buying someone else's airplane can be daunting also. Define a set of "needs" for your plane & keep looking until you find one that matches.

Last edited:
Anyone can do it, the main thing is figuring out if you WANT to, then figuring out what works best for you. I'm on the ultra-slow build plan, I build when I have time, and when it makes sense. Right now, I don't have the money for the next kit, so it doesn't really make sense for me to do wrap up work on my tail. I have been presented with opportunities to build or work on other aircraft, and I'm taking those since it's experience that doesn't cost me any money.

All that said, for me (another type A) building for myself is such a de-stress, that I love to do it. It's really different having to work on other peoples airplanes because 'good enough' always leaves me feeling guilty. I can take the time to do stuff over on my own kit without charging anyone for my time. Find what works for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts.

When it comes right down to it, I just couldn't imagine buying someone else's RV. Not because I'm worried the thing would fall apart in mid-flight, but because, in my opinion, that's just too **** easy! The huge positive (and the huge negative - that's why I'm here fretting) is that you can build it. There's a lot of honor in that and in the long run, I'd rather build it myself and have that pride of ownership instead of just buying one and being able to fly.

You have the bug

Sounds to me like your an RV builder. You caught the virus, and you already know the cure...the longer you wait the sicker you'll get.

Take one of the builder courses offered and you'll get the confidence to "getter' done". I took the Synergy Air class and it was great, but there are plenty of good opportunities to learn. Most of the people in the initial class were pre-purchase dreamers...At least on day one.

Building is Good for Ya

All that was said here is the truth. Only get a ride if you want to build. Other wise stay home and keep the curtains closed.

Thanks - bugsy (again). I think that's what I needed to hear. It sounds like I may be among good company here...

Can't wait to see what I find at the EAA deal tomorrow.

Mike....

....consider going/coming to Alexander Aeroplane Company in Griffin, Ga.

You have Van's ship your empennage kit there and you show up on Sunday afternoon. Their instructors start you at 7:00 ayem Monday, work 'til 6: PM or so every day, building your tail. By the following Saturday, you can take your completed empennage home with you!:eek:, fin, rudder, stab and elevators.

You will have learned what you need to know about sheetmetal work, dimpling, deburring, rivetting and so on. You'll also have the necessary skills to build the rest of the airframe. A week well spent as others who have done this told me.

Regards,