John Courte

Well Known Member
If I could go back in time, I would find my younger self and ask, "What's the worst thing you can possibly say to yourself regarding this airplane project?"

Younger-me would answer: "'I can't do it.'"

I would say: "Wrong. The worst thing you can say to yourself is 'that'll be no big deal.'"

The advice given on many fronts to stick to standard configurations of engine, prop, and instrumentation is disregarded at extreme peril, unless you've planned a solution and you understand what you're getting into.

Don't get me wrong, I've learned so much and come so far and accomplished so many things, and I wouldn't trade that for anything, but if I'd gone with a basic VFR-glass panel configuration and a standard O-360 engine with fixed-pitch prop, I'd be flying right now instead of where I'm at, which is solving one puzzle after another only to be rewarded with more puzzles.

I'm caught in a trap now, where the desire/need to progress is damped by the fear of screwing up and new cans of new worms, plus a frank realization of my chronic inability to judge how long something will take or otherwise accurately plan phases of building.

Still, I have to keep going. I've got too much in it to quit now, but the idea of not having that aluminum dragon in my shop with its endless list of to-do's and the putting off of other things in life is really starting to grow on me.

I keep telling myself (and my long-suffering wife) the RV grin will be worth it. It is, right?

Sorry to rant. I need to finish this project, and soon. I'll be at the picnic table in the back, eating my humble pie.

John, I could have easily written your post. You have taken the words right out of my mouth. I "think" I'm getting close to the flying part of this project...at least that's what some of my friends tell me. :p
I'm actually putting parts on the plane that I made years ago...and they're on for good! There have been plenty of days when I was on the fence about the project. Like you said...too much in it to give up now.

And I've always liked the quote on Pierre's by-line:
"It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so, Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132"

Boy...isn't that the truth!

It's this baffles/cowling/forward-governor/snorkel process. Solving for all those variables is taxing. I've got pdfs photos, and descriptions of lots of other folks' efforts, but it comes down to the fact that in this area, everybody's rig is more or less unique, and each step starts looking more and more like what engineers call "an overconstrained problem."

I thought the canopy was going to be bad. Not even close. One major fear factor from cracking it during the cut, but that was it.

Avionics was a comparative walk in the park, EMI gremlins and all.

Painting the interior was a weekend of purgatory, but still nothing in the face of the baffles and friends.

I just hope engine plumbing, wiring, and control cables go smoother. Once that's all done, I can start working my way forward from the tail, installing, checking, and torquing every part all the way to the tip of the spinner, which is also great advice.

Goalposts should not be a moving target, but they are. You have to trap them in a corner and beat them flat.

Perseverance

John,
When I read your post, I had two immediate reactions:

1) Bravo for you for having the guts to open up your heart and tell us what you are feeling. I can only applaud you as I am behind you and stuck in the wing kit with "other priorities" right now. So hang in there and show us the way.

2) My second thought was about RV's being kits. I know some people, and my brother is one of them, who think a kit is easy and that a homebuilt is not challenging unless it's plans-built or even scratch-built. (My brother spent over $80,000 (he quit counting) and over 10,000 hours over a period of 20 years on a plane of his own design and he has an assembly of parts that only flew about 100 feet before he over-controlled and dorked the rudder and tailwheel.)
Now he's going through chemo and radiation, so I doubt he or it will ever fly again.

Anyway, thanks for posting. And I hope your major obstacles are behind you.

Do you know Bob?

Any possibility you guys have been talking to Bob Collins?:D Maybe somebody can offer a "group buy," on RV therapy?

Everybody has gone through the same thoughts throughout the build process. As has been said several times, think of the build as many small projects that culminate in an airplane. Much easier to tolerate that way.

Hang in there and keep pounding those rivets.

It's different now!

You guys are straight up and that's a good thing, but there's also this to consider:

When I built my Cassutt F-1 in 1973, there were no pre-punched kits, nor were the engine mounts fabricated...and the ribs weren't pre-made either. The fuselage came in a long cardboard tube with various diameters and wall thicknesses of tubing that you cut with a hacksaw and scarfed fish-mouth type ends so that they'd match the perpendicular tube that it would be welded to and so on. Each of the 18 wing ribs consisted of around 10-12 pieces of spruce that you cut with a balsa saw and laid in a jig to build rib by rib'..oh yeah, your buddies and EAA techies taught us how to weld 4130 chromemoly tubing the FAA way.

This eliminated a big percentage of builders...the sheer enormity of building a simple airplane with gazillions of steps. We just plodded on and built rib by rib, welded a tube here and welded a tube there and after a month had the bare steel tubing fuselage. Pitt's were built similarly as were Stits Playboys and others.

Nowadays, most anyone can turn out a nice RV because it's more an assembly type of process and a remarkable airplane is the result. This has attracted a lot more people to build than in the '60's and 70's with varying build skills or stick-to-it-ness.

Just like back then..build one piece at a time until you have no more parts left in the bins and stand back proud....you'll never forget the experience...believe me!

Best,

Last edited:
If I could go back in time, I would find my younger self and ask, "What's the worst thing you can possibly say to yourself regarding this airplane project?"

Younger-me would answer: "'I can't do it.'"

I would say: "Wrong. The worst thing you can say to yourself is 'that'll be no big deal.'"

I guess this means I?m not going to get my SB wings built in 6 months, and my SB fuselage built 6 months after that, eh?:confused:

Goalposts should not be a moving target, but they are. You have to trap them in a corner and beat them flat.

Great visual, John! Someone needs to do a youtube video of that. If anyone is ever in need of a laugh, go to John?s build blog and throw a dart. (hint: put incidence +autopilot in his blog search and read the post about what happens if you don't get the incidence and sweep angles correct.:D)

?Now he's going through chemo and radiation, so I doubt he or it will ever fly again.

I?ve said goodbye to six close family members in less than 4 years (one being a 45-yo brother). Yes, there are much worse things in life than mucking up a trim tab, or the frustrations of fitting a snorkel.:(

You need a buddy ...

If you're not an A&P or if you haven't built a plane before, it's a daunting task to turn one of Van's kits into a flying machine.

You're learning what I learned early on -- every deviation from the plans usually results in changes to at least three other things and at least quadruples the time it will take to complete the task! For my first attempt at building an airplane, it wasn't worth the effot. Therefore, my plane is pretty much bone stock. You may have learned that lesson late, but better late than never.

It sounds like you're in need of a building buddy. A tech counselor, or at least someone who has already done the baffling baffles a time or two. Were it not for Danny King lending a hand with stuff that was WAY over my head, I'd have given up.

Is there anyone near you who could give you some help? And, although each of our planes is indeed a unique creation, a LOT of stuff is pretty standard. I used pictures of other RV-8 FWF setups to lay out where stuff went and that worked pretty well.

Good luck. It is indeed worth it in the end. :D

John, I can't tell you how many times I questioned....

my ability to build an RV. Mistakes happen because I'm just human and I dare say there is not a single builder out there who hasn't screwed something up. Only difference is now I don't panick if I have to re do anything. I just go get it done. I have to say, if it weren't for the fact my son originally bought this RV-6A kit, I would never have started with an RV-6. I am confident I can handle any challenge from the newer kits now that I have advanced on this project. Just keep telling yourself you have done what very few people ever did or would do. Keep up your good work....

Thanks, Miles.

When I was a kid growing up on various military bases, I used to read a lot of Adm. Daniel V. Gallery. It often bubbles up in the way I write.

A buddy would be a Good Thing. When I first got into this, Dan Checkoway was my TC and primary advisor on all things RV. He has since moved on to other things, and my usual helper/second set of eyes/partner in crime is consumed with the safari-kitting of his Defender 110. Most of this is mental anyway. When build tasks become interdependent, it gets harder to visualize the discrete beginning and end of any particular one. Add to that the thought of "don't close that up, you'll need to get at it later" and the more general "leave your options open."

Any one of my ex-girlfriends would probably chalk that up to fear of commitment, but none of them have ever built an airplane.

I can't express enough thanks to everyone here on VAF who have offered advice and support over the years, and to Doug for providing a venue, and I hope to meet as many of you as possible in person at whatever events or location I can, once this aircraft can actually depart the planet under its own power.

John- I had similar feelings when I built my plans-built Pitts(think lots of opportunity to make the same part 3-4 times before you have one that is a keeper) and with my -10. When I started dwelling on all the tasks to be done and how long it was going to take, it would be overwhelming and anxiety-provoking. I found it much more productive to just focus on the next task. Eat the elephant one bite at a time.

Also, I have finally learned that time is elastic. If I am looking at a task, completion date, etc. in the future, it can seem impossibly far away. Looking back the same amount of time, it's like no time at all(especially as I get older). There will also be times when life gets in the way and we just have to accept that we will make little or no progress on our project for awhile.

+1 for it will be worth it eventually.

Jim Berry
RV-10

John, I find your comments contain a wisdom that comes only after many (in your case 7) years of persisting with the build. They are a refreshing counterpoint to the usual over-the-top enthusiasm that constantly pours forth from builders who are still working on their empennage....one day they're encouraging everyone else to get started and 24 months later they have their own half-built project on the market. :rolleyes:

Like you, I have a lot of years (8 to date) invested in the build and I concur that it can be a bundle of mixed emotions along the way.

In retrospect I would also concur with you that doing mods (I have probably over 50 of them...lost count) adds immeasurably to the build time.

Over the years I have found it to be extremely beneficial to examine other builders' aircraft of the same model to see how things fitted together. Sometimes that is much easier than trying to understand everthing from the drawings. The baffles is a typical example.

However if you do lots of mods you find that no-one has exactly your set-up so you find yourself out there on your own. That particularly applies to FWF.

There's a lot to be said for keeping it relatively simple and according to the plans....but then again, that Vans alternate air design is a shocker!!! :D