kentb

Well Known Member
I am sorry if the title on my previous thread offended anyone. It was never my intent to convey that someone was directly responsible for my problem. I am very thankful for the effort that Doug R. and other put into making this website a very useful tool.

I know (because I am a software engineer) that sometimes tool changes can have an unknown impact. I was hoping for some help in figuring out how to get the hybrid display mode turned off. My guess is that the tools that generates the VAF web pages is not authored by Doug R., but don't know how to contact anyone more knowledgeable then the people that read this website.

I am very sorry the that thread "Webmaster: this sucks" was deleted. A number of people had responded to my cry for help with suggestions. The information that they provided didn't solve my problem, but may helped someone else in the future. Again I meant that my browser operation is what was sucking and that I hoped that the webmaster could help me with it.

I still have the same problem. I appear to be stuck in "Hybrid Display" mode. This started about two weeks ago. I don't think that anything has changed with my browser, but then sense this is a company computer and support by central computing services, they may have changed that I don't know about.

The other possibility is that there was a change in the VAF web tools.

Can anyone suggest something for me to try.

Kent

Just in case you haven't found where the option for the display settings you want are located, click on the User CP link at the top of the page.
Then go to "Edit Options", then in there, scroll down to the "Thread Display Options", then in that box, find the "Thread Display Mode" which will have a drop-down box where you make your choice.

But I'm probably missing something because you sound pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, yet, setting the option you want is really simple and you can't seem to make it stick.
I didn't see any of your first thread so I'm not really in the loop enough to know what your specific problems have been.

So evidently, you are setting the option you want but no matter what, this forum still comes up in Hybrid Mode... is that's what's happening?
If so, it sounds like it may be something going on in your own computer cache or some kind of other local setting on your computer.
I'd start by clearing your cache and trying to change the setting again as a first step. That might be all you need.

Interestingly enough, I went in and changed mine to the Hybrid mode just because I was curious about what you were talking about... and I like it.
I think I'll leave it that way for a while and see if I end up wanting to leave it set that way permanently.

All I can offer is to say that I don't have any trouble at all changing the Display Modes so I don't think it has anything to do with the forum software, but rather, a problem on your own computer.

Highflight

Last edited:
Vern, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....

I did as you suggested. Cleaned all cookie, off line content and anything else the the options would allow with IE 6.0.
Killed my IE and then restarted. When to the User CP and set the "Display Option" to linear - oldest first.

It is now working correctly.

I am happy again. Did I say Thank you?

Kent

Glad to be of help.

I've been building my own computers and serving as my own "I.T." guy for so many years that I don't think I'm ever going to get to like these things.
I'll hate computers until the day I die, and when that day comes, it will probably have been a computer that killed me... I just know it. :eek:

Highflight

Display Mode Option on Message Page

I've been exploring this feature and discovered a Display Mode Option just above the #1 message of any thread. It works. You do not have to go to User CP to change it.