CDBridgesRV7A

Well Folks, I really messed up this mistake and I',m not too sure how to fix it. I'm building my HS. I've riveted the left skin to the ribs and spars. I then riveted 706 to 702 (spar). The first 472 AD 4-4 rivet went in OK but the second one did not. I drilled it out and unfortunately enlarged the hole. So I decided to enlarge the hole IOT take a 470 AD 5-4. No worries there either. I switched up bucking bars and went with my tungsten one vice the one I had been using all night. I hit the rivet for way too long with the tungsten bucking bar and pancaked the 5-4 rivet. The machine head was flattened as well as the shop head. I attemted to drill the rivet out to replace it (I should have left it) but the only way it was coming out was to tear the metal. As I didn't want to order a whole new 702 spar and 706 tip rib (as the skin was already attached) I've left it for now.

Here are my options, as I see them. 1). Can you rivet through a rivet? There is a hole drilled through the rivet from where I tried to remove it. I could try to rivet a 4-4 rivet through the 5-4 rivet. 2) Insert a bolt through the hole instead of a rivet. I'll leave the 5-4 rivet in place and insert a bolt through the hole in the rivet and secure with a washer and nut.

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

It sucks.....

but every so often, we have to settle for an an3 bolt. Not often we hope because it adds weight. Short of that replace the part(s).
regards

It is hard to tell without seeing a picture.

It might be possible to drill a new rivet hole on each side of your bad rivet and set those correctly.

Kent