vasrv7a

Well Known Member
I have a request... would those who are familiar with apple's i-phone and i-pad use for general aviation please explain the following... For day to day aviation use (applications, websites... etc), would having both an i-phone and an i-pad be redundant? is there a good reason to have an i-phone if I already have an i-pad 3G? All opinions would be most apprecitated.:)

Thank you.

Victor

I have the iPhone 4 and the iPad2 64GB with 3G. I never use my iPhone in the plane for anything. I don't text or make phone calls. No need for the phone, really. I have a knee board for holding an iPad. I use the app called WingX Pro7. It's awesome. I don't hassle with charts or anything. The app has it all right there at my fingertips. I keep the charts and info I need handy, but usually in my bag in the back seat or a pocket up front somewhere. It's a lot less clutter. So no, I don't see any reason to have an iPhone if you already have an iPad. The iPad will do pretty much anything an iPhone will do except make phone calls. If you already have a cell phone, stick with that. I keep all of my music on my iPad as well.

I have both but I find I don't pull out the iPad "in flight". Since KC mentioned it, I often send a quick text message when I'm about 15 minutes out if there is someone meeting me at my destination. I pre-compose the message so all I do is pull out he phone and hit "send".

I do not have a data plan on my iPad so I use my iPhone to get a weather update when on the ground between legs.

I have both.

If you have both with no data plan on the Ipad, you will get 3G data on the phone. So when you are on the ground getting wifi on the ipad and you can update the weather. Once in the air you can't get any updated weather on the ipad. You can on the phone, if you are getting service. If I stop at an airport for fuel or a bit to eat, the phone will update everytime. I use foreflight on the ipad & iphone. They let you install it on 1 ipad and 1 iphone for one price. I think most apps are that way? It is an advantage for me to have both. I agree it's rare that I need the phone but I do like having it.

I am another both. No data plan on the iPad and an UNLIMITED data plan on the iPhone. iPad is used for everything that maps / charts would be in and out of the airplane. iPhone is used for BACKUP in the airplane and latest weather on the ground where there is no WiFi.

The FAA does not mind if we are Paperless but they recommend a backup. The iPhone is the backup as it has the same maps / charts in the air. It is just harder to read on the small screen. IMHO, the Backup is the main reason for the iPhone. I really do not want two iPads to get the redundancy without paper.

Only paper in the airplane are LOCAL maps, charts , VOR test log, GPS instructions, SL30 instructions, Check List, and ARROW.

ARROW = Airworthiness, Registration, Radio, Operating Limitations, Weight and Balance.

iPad also has PDF manuals for all radios and many of the airplane systems.

I Use Both

Actually I use three. I have my old iPhone 3 on a small Ram mount that serves as inflight music for trips. My new iPhone 4 is never used until I get to a fuel stop for updates or if someone needs to track my flight I'll set in on a no-skid pad on the glare shield and run the breadcrumbs function of SkyChartsPro on it. My iPad, with no data plan, is mounted on a Ram mount on my panel and I usually run Wing X Pro or SkyChartsPro on it. If I land at an airport that has wi-fi, I'll sign on and update weather, etc. My panel mounted Garmin is used to program my route and drive the Trio autopilot but the huge iPad screen gives a much better view for where I'm at and what is nearby. My iPad also has all my equipment manuals, POH, and other necessary aircraft documents on it.

Last edited: