celstar

Well Known Member
Do any of the I Pad flight planning Apps have the ability to download the flight plan to a gamin 696 or AV8OR Ace?

iPad download?

I would have to guess "NO" since there is no output on the current iPads out there. Maybe when the iPad 3 is released but there is no way to drive an autopilot so I would assume they can't talk to a Garmin either.
My big question would be, if you have the flight plan displayed on a 9.7" screen on an iPad, why would you want to load it to a smaller display?

IPAD

To run a autopilot. More specific would be to run the same route waypoint to way point as what is on the Ipad.

Last edited:
iPad output

To run a autopilot. More specific would be to run the same route waypoint to way point as what is on the Ipad.

I believe others have expressed a desire for the iPad to have such an output in a format that an autopilot would recognize and to date, it hasn't happened.

I've seen my iPad2 lockup in flight, more than once. Required completely down powering the unit and reboot to get it back. (it was NOT temperature related).

It's a great planning tool, IMHO it should be used for just that, then program your aircraft grade navigation gear to do the flying.

I've seen my iPad2 lockup in flight, more than once. Required completely down powering the unit and reboot to get it back. (it was NOT temperature related).

It's a great planning tool, IMHO it should be used for just that, then program your aircraft grade navigation gear to do the flying.

I've had some crash issues occasionally as well. However, I believe that it'd be very useful to download the flight plan from Foreflight into my 530 as a one time step before the flight starts. Mainly because it's a pain in the a$$ to do manually, especially lots of waypoints.

Most GPS's take serial inputs. I'm not aware of anything that would provide this directly from an iPad.

There has to be away

There has to be a way to be able to do this. Come on all you tech people.

the ipad is a closed system.

As I mentioned before in a different post, the Ipad is a closed system. Apple doesn't make it easy to get data in or out from a external device. So don't get to upset at all us developers. :)

The most common method for apps right now is to talk to the ipad via wifi.

You could talk via serial/usb on the port on the bottom but you would have to run the app on a jail broken ipad because apple would not approve a app like this in the app store.

As for the ipad locking up that some people have mentioned above in the post, this is the software locking up. I would recommend running some other app if it keeps locking up on you. Sky Charts Pro is a good one for moving maps. And I have not had any issues with it freezing on me.

Christopher.

No lockups here

We just flew a 1200 mile trip today and no lockups, worked great all the way!
I do all my route planning on the iPad and let my antiquated panel mount drive the autopilot.

I think it's inevitable that EFIS and A/P systems will begin to support wi-fi and/or Bluetooth. I believe one EFIS mfg (sorry - i don't recall which one) announced at OSH that they are supporting Bluetooth now. I think that's how we'll eventually see what the originator of this thread is asking for.

I use my iPad to plan the route, mainly using Wingx, with some support from ForeFlight. When my plan is final, I key it into my Garmin 496, and that drives the EFIS/AP. It really doesn't take that long to key it into the 496. And I agree with the other poster that having the more robust aviation-based hardware (496) driving the A/P is not a bad idea.

On the other note, I have never had my iPad lock up in any way, in dozens, perhaps hundreds, of hours of use and several long flights, including NH to OSH & back. I usually have WingX, ForeFlight, and Garmin Pilot My-Cast all running at once.

As I mentioned before in a different post, the Ipad is a closed system. Apple doesn't make it easy to get data in or out from a external device. So don't get to upset at all us developers. :)

The most common method for apps right now is to talk to the ipad via wifi.

You could talk via serial/usb on the port on the bottom but you would have to run the app on a jail broken ipad because apple would not approve a app like this in the app store.

Ayn chance they would approve something based on the new (approved) serial connector?

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSRP01

http://www.redpark.com/c2db9.html

I think it is still "private use apps" but it's cleaner than earlier options as for wire connected hardware.

Last edited: