jlfernan

Well Known Member
Today I finally finished riveting in the aft bulkhead in my 9A. What an ordeal!! I mounted the tie down bracket to the bulkhead as was suggested several time on the site. The rivets on the fuselage sides, inside and out were a breeze. Used three different squeezer yokes and got them done lickity-split. Now the the fourteen(?) on the the lower 729 were terrible. I don't know if I was having a bad day or the planets were not lined up properly lined up? Of the fourteen, I had to replace six with #4 rivets. Nothing I tried would keep the smaller #3's from tipping over. Unfortunately the heads sit a little "proud" of the skins, but there is no way for me to dimple the skin. I decided a long time ago I would rather build a safe plane than a show plane, which explains the pile of replacement parts. Nothing too serious, but peace of mind is worth a few bucks. I tried different air pressures, different bucking bars, and even an offering to the aluminum Gods. My point is Doug needs to start a section for psychological srvices. You know, a place where someone can go and talk to the aeronuatical version of Dr. Phil, who will reassure us that everything will be fine. Am I the only one who that has days like this?

Last edited:
I had to replace my aileron brackets because of similar issues. The #4's just wouldn't work at all. I finally got a 3lb bucking bar and was able to get things to work. Maybe it was the weather, my diet or the 2x rivet guy ... who knows. I was about to go nuts! :eek:

-Rick

Anyone having real difficulty seting rivets should try this trick. Heat your rivets to 450 deg F for an hour in an oven, let them cool off at room temps till you can handle them again, then set them. This will "soften" them so they will set easier. They will return to their original hardness in a few days. This is especially helpful when setting rivets that just seem way harder than normal or on skins where you are trying not to use too much setting force to avoid dents and smiles.

Roberta

Roberta,
Great item for tips and tricks. Wish I would have seen this 1 week ago when I wanted to vent.
I read once that a chimp could back rivet. Well, I dont have a chimp so I have to do it myself - and for some reason I am terible at it (on stiffeners). I am into the elevators and had a "just walk away" type of buiding night.
Just venting; the elevators will not fall apart. I will try this tip.

T.S.
7A QB- elevators 50%

Jorge I sympathize with you. I just was riveting the F712 yesterday back in my 7QB. There are 2 rivets next to the tailspring receiver that seem impossible to get to. Does anyone know of a substitute pull rivet here? I tried Vans, but missed them today. Or what did anybody use to buck these?
Thanks

robertahegy said:
Heat your rivets to 450 deg F for an hour in an oven, let them cool off at room temps till you can handle them again, then set them. This will "soften" them so they will set easier. They will return to their original hardness in a few days.
Roberta
Will this "fix" rivets that shear diagonally when you try to set them? I've got a batch of 426...3-4's that do that - very frustrating, and I'm about to throw them out.

Another thought...maybe we should have an area where people can post their mistakes and fixes. That way when we do make a mistake, we'll know that we're not alone, that we're human, and we can find a way to fix our mistakes.