cjensen

Well Known Member
I've searched for an explaination of just what this stuff is, but I have come up empty so far. I've scrutinized the Boat US cataloge (yeah, the 500 page one :rolleyes: ), and I can't even find the word 'flox' used in there. I know there are microfibers, microballoons, and such, but just what is flox? I'm gonna need some soon...

:confused: :confused: :confused: Thanks!!

flox

Flox is a term used for stuctural filler. It's used in corners and hardpoints in composite construction. Flox is chopped up cotton fibers mixed with epoxy to a thick consistancy.

Don't confuse flox with "micro". Micro is glass balloons mixed with epoxy that is used for non-structural filler.

Hopefully that helps a bit. :)

Hi

Chad,
I was told that flox is simply ground up fiberglass strands. Really handy for thickening up the resin to locate screws such as the taillight lens cover and a few other places where a little buildup is needed,
Regards,

What I want to know is where do you get the stuff?? Is it in the Wicks and ACS catalogs, cuz if it is, I sure have been missing it.

I went to my local marina and they looked at me like I was from Mars or something when I asked for it.

So where can you get it??

Regards,

AC Spruce has it...

painless said:
What I want to know is where do you get the stuff?? Is it in the Wicks and ACS catalogs, cuz if it is, I sure have been missing it.

I went to my local marina and they looked at me like I was from Mars or something when I asked for it.

So where can you get it??

Regards,

Jeff,

They hid it in the Aircraft $pruce catalog.... :)

It's here, along with a description...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/flockedcotton.php

gil in Tucson

painless said:

The raw material to make flox (cotton + epoxy) is 'flocked cotton fiber.' Probably the cheapest thing in the AS&S catalog ;-) - PN 01-14800. When you mix it make it nice and thick - much easier to work with than if you use too much epoxy and make it runny.

Micro is also listed on the same page (as cab-o-sil). Micro is super light (made from fallen angels :rolleyes: ) and will instantly float up into the air - use a mask.

Flox and fibers

Hey Chad,

You've got the answer for flox. There is also milled fiberglass that does basically the same purpose. Also there is micro filler and micro balloons. Basically the same stuff. There are several different degrees of micro filler. Generally, not for structural applications.

Now if you are still considering the Subaru engine, you might want to get the JB Weld in the caulking gun size for mods and repairs. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick responses guys!! This helps immensly!!

Darwin...No Sube for you!! That's my new saying... :D

Free catalogs gold mine of info

If you don't have a fee Spruce Aircraft and Wag Aero catalog, get them. You can find all the materials in there , usually with a little explanation and picture.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. Not sure how I missed it tho.....

Must be the RV grin I have flying this thing! :D

One note, the Cab-o-sil and micro ballons are different items. Does the same thing, but I belive the cab-o-sil does thicken it, but doesnt make it as light weight as the microbaloons.