RV3bpilot

Well Known Member
I would like a GPS that is ADS-b compliant. I have seen a GPS in the past that was both the GPS and the antenna were all in one small unite that all one had to do was wire it into another receiver for position.
I don't really want a huge GPS to try to mount in my dash somewhre. Also cost is a concern.
Does anyone know where I can find a cheap GPS that will satisfy the ADS-B requirements. I have a great transponder, Trig TT22 S-Mode and ADS-B , but it requires a GPS for the position...

Last edited:
You and everyone else...:D

Freeflight has the closest thing (1201) if you are looking for a blind GPS. I think in the $4K range though.

If you have a Skyview system the Dynon GPS will supply data and ADS-B out will work but it is not compliant. Thats what I have. I am hoping that in 5 yrs or so blind complaint GPS' will be cheap (er).

Trig transponder/ADS-B compliant GPS / cost $$$

I found through a little research that there is only 4 or 5 GPS's that will work well with the trig transponder to satisfy the FAA compliance with ADS-b. About the cheapest and simplest is Trig's own GPS designed just for the ADS-b system, cost $3,194 at Aircraft Spruce.
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/avpages/trig11-13061.php?clickkey=977507
I will be saving money for some time to afford this thing.:cool:

Last edited:
Apples and Oranges

The Navworx ADS-600BG is a complete UAT ADSB system, including UAT transceiver and TSO'd GPS, for about $3400 (antennas extra).
(with the UAT ADSB solution you are still needing at least a mode C (or S) transponder in the appropriate airspace.)
Interestingly, their ADS-600B is the same UAT but with an uncertified gps, for about $900 less. Which makes me wonder if they can and/or will offer the TSO'd gps as a stand alone TSO'd position source for somewhere around a little more than that $900 difference. At this point in time they do not offer the gps except as a package with the UAT. But I think they'd have a market for a TSO'd gps at less than $1500.

The Navworx ADS-600BG is a complete UAT ADSB system, including UAT transceiver and TSO'd GPS, for about $3400 (antennas extra).

With a UAT as your ADS-B Out transmitter and a good old Mode-C transponder, you can still enjoy being "anonymous VFR" in the ATC system, so if that's important to you, the self-contained UAT transceiver boxes like the Navworx unit are the way to go. The only downside is that a UAT is only good for below 18,000MSL and if you're intending to fly IFR above 18K then Mode-S will be required, and with a Mode-S transponder even when squawking 1200 it it constantly sending out your aircraft's unique Mode-S code for your registration number so "they" automatically always know who you are unless you have it turned off :eek:

http://www.navworx.com/

I have suddenly become interested in aa TSO GPS not for ADS-B requirements but because I have recently been analysing some data that has caused me to question the reliability of the data from other GPS modules/chipsets. Lets say I have seen 8 to 10 second glitches in data variables in the modules I have been using.

In day to day operations I have not observed these - perhaps I was not looking at the specific time. The frequency of the glitches has been approximately once per hour and may be linked to manoeuvering and speed at the time. I'm not going to be specific because I may not have the latest firmware revisions in these chipsets.

Be careful if you are depending on non certified equipment.

Last edited:
What will it work with?

Is there any way to display the UAT data from the Navworx ADS-600BG on a Garmin or Dynon system?

Back to the OP...

Since you already have the ADS-B-compliant Mode S extended-squitter Trig, the NavWorx would be overkill. I'd just sit tight and wait. I'm doing the same in my -3 (if it flies before 2020 :rolleyes:) and betting someone will come along with an economical remote-mount ADS-B GPS before 2020.

Lots of our EFIS customers have been using our non-certified VFR WAAS GPS (NMEA0183 output) with Trig transponders and reporting good ADS-B traffic reception. The system is not perfect yet, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
navworx web site lists compatible displays. Looks like a 430/530 will show traffic. For EFIS units AFS and GRT are listed.

I have the Navworx ADSB600 using the uncertified internal GPS. It displays traffic reliably on my Ipad using WingXPro. It displays traffic on the GNS 430 but frequently drops out. I don't know why and neither does Bill at Navworx. He says it is not uncommon.

Also, the Navworx will not accept the GNS430 GPS output. Only the GNS 480.

Don