DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
Back in 2006, I had an epiphany.

I decided that it was time to build another airplane.

My home doesn't have a garage, so I built a 24' x 30' shop in my backyard. I insulated the walls, ran power everywhere. Built in a deep sink with running water. Installed a refridgerator, stereo, garage door, air compressor with plumbed air lines...

And I built an airplane --- An RV-7. It took me three and a half years from opening the empennage crate to first flight. I spent every evening after work in my shop. I spent weekends in my shop. I listened to the radio. I studied plans. My family came out to visit me.

But now my plane is complete. It's got it's own home at the airport. And I have no reason to go out to my shop.:(

My friend is storing an RV-3 in there. I think he's selling it, but that could change. Another friend is storing a Tri-Pacer wing in my shop that needs to be re-covered. He's pretty busy and needs to get his priorities straight!

So my shop sits quietly collecting dust. I go out there once in awhile, but I feel lost and without purpose when I look at the vast, empty space that used to house my project.

Once in a while, I fire up the compressor to air up the lawn mower tires, but the pressure in the tank bleeds down long before I'll get out to the shop again.

I miss my shop...

Time to head down to the hangar!:D

If your buddies RV-3 really is for sale, offer him something, its already waiting for you to work on it!!!

After building my last airplane, I started working on this!
Garage001.jpg

Last edited:
Shop

snif...if only I had a shop to miss...snif. One of these days however...and it's Katie bar the door!

Looks like there is a 3 in your future. Have fun getting re-acquainted with the tools.

I feel your pain. When common dictated building a shop on the back of the garage to build the fuselage (instead of the basement and not getting it out!), I did it right -- heated, AC, plenty of light, built-in work bench the full length of one wall, etc. Spent many, many hours out there over the years ...

Now, it's been commandeered by the Spousal Unit as a "fitness salon". TV and DVD player for her to work out to videos, rubber floor, free weights, bench, rubber bands ... AND SHE EXPECTS ME TO PARTICIPATE!

Wimmin ... harrumph ... :mad:

Soon, soon

Scott,
Like you I built a shop in the back yard for that purpose, 18x24, two floors. A home away from home. Heat, air, tunes. Just moved the fuselage last week and the shop is filling up with junk for a yard sale already. Gotta get rid of the junk and get on with another project.

After building my last airplane, I started working on this!
Garage001.jpg
Randy,
Like minds must think alike. I have wanted to build a Cobra replica car for a very long time. Actually, the thought has a longer life than did the idea of building the RV.

I know there are several Cobra kit suppliers out there now. What company did you go to for the kit? Do you have any details on your project? Now that I have tackled an airplane I think I am ready to get into building my dream Cobra.

I know there are several Cobra kit suppliers out there now. What company did you go to for the kit? Do you have any details on your project?

If you'll click on Randy's link or click here, you'll see he's done his usual outstanding job of building a web site describing his current project, the LS427 Roadster "Cobra" kit car.

Last edited:
When you rebuild, you do it this way -

Downstairs for you.......

Upstairs for her............

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01072.jpg

DSC01073.jpg

Last edited:
I've converted the shop back to my hobby room after completing the frames for my boat. Now the the hangar is a boat building shop. I finally started my mahogany boat. It's not the inboard barrel back I originally planned, but rather a 14' 4" classic wood outboard that will emulate the old Chris Crafts.

So I don't miss my shop, I still live and play in it.

Roberta

chinessteamed.jpg

If you'll click on Randy's link or click here, you'll see he's done his usual outstanding job of building a web site describing his current project, the LS427 Roadster "Cobra" kit car.

Thanks Don. I went with the Lone Star cobra for a number of reasons that you can read about on my website. Talk about the circle of life, the Lone Star shop used to be on 52F with Doug and the RV crowd there in Fort Worth until they moved to a shop near the airport. In fact, one of the pictures on the Lone Star site show a RV-6 taxiing by in the background. I figured it was karma so I bought one.

Last edited:
Randy,
Like minds must think alike. I have wanted to build a Cobra replica car for a very long time. Actually, the thought has a longer life than did the idea of building the RV.

I know there are several Cobra kit suppliers out there now. What company did you go to for the kit? Do you have any details on your project? Now that I have tackled an airplane I think I am ready to get into building my dream Cobra.

Steve, my cobra and airplane dreams were kind of side-by-side my whole life. My father waited late in life to get his pilot's license so I went that way first figuring the car would wait. After the heart attack earlier this year, I figured now would be a good time to scratch the cobra itch. I've since found out that there are a fair number of pilots over on the cobra forums as well. Go for it. It's much easier building a car than an airplane so I think you'll enjoy it. It's mostly just bolt and go assembly, not much fabrication.

There's also ERA..(Era Replica Automobiles

up in the northeast. I built one of their 427's in the early '80's....a rock solid 3" X 4" chassis, fully sorted and bump-steeered suspension, Jag rear end and Camaro A-frames up front.

Best,

Randy, the body work on the kit should be a piece of cake to you after having experience on the Long-Ez.

You older guys will like this. I have used my 56 chevy to fill the void. Like our airplanes, old cars are never finished.
11kv2i9.jpg

Dan,

Thanks - both Andrea and I are happy with our halves - great when each partner gets their own play area.

Yep, that is my buddies Yamaha 'combination' - Oh, how he hates it when I call it that - 600cc racing sidecar outfit. Quite competitive - he used to race stock cars until the Doctor said enough of the neck injuries. He and his brother have a small motorcycle race team - 70's 2 stroke Suzuki's that they race all season, 1 250 and 1 500. They prepare, their man races. Placed 4th on the Isle of Man this season.

He is using my facilities but as he did all the electrics and plumbing, I thought it was a good trade.

He hopes to race the sidecar next season - I will let you know how he gets on.

I nearly volunteered to be a passenger, however it was at one of our BBQ's and I am afraid there was alcohol consumed that evening :confused: