riobison

Well Known Member
I?m looking more for the negative?s in the different GPS?s & ability in W. Canada?

Hey Guys

I had sold my C177A in 2005 and now looking at getting into a RV4 or the RV6.

Any way things are changing fast in the Nav end of things. The last I was using was my trusty ARNAV R 15 Loran with the Skywave mode. This was simple, worked great and never a problem but now it is long gone.

So I want to buy a GPS and wow, this is confusing. As my eyes for reading are not getting any better and its unlikely that will change so I?m sure I want one with the 7? display.

So any problems using the larger handhelds with the 7? screens in the confines of the RV4 or the RV6?

I can afford to get into the new Garmin 796 but the 696 looks almost as good but it?s lacking the 3D mode. (Can the GPS really update this quick enough to really be of any value on the pitch and roll?)

Any negatives from the 696 to the 796?

Then there is the BendixKing AV80 model that looks almost as good but a lot less money.

What are the negatives of the AV80 line from Bendix?

Is Avmap even a contender?

Having the XM weather is a good thing to have for the longer flights. How well does this work with the Canadian Weather updates?

I would probably only update the data base once a year. Being gouged on the updates could be a deal breaker.

Time to reduce stress in my life so Flaky software, junky hardware and lousy support are a deal breaker.

How well is western Canada covered in any of these Data Base?s?

How well is the XM weather coverage in Western Canada?

Are we able to have live traffic coverage displayed? Does this work here in Western Canada?

Being able to run a simple Auto Pilot would be nice but not super important.

I?m thinking that I?m good for another 10 or 15 yrs max of flying so this could be my last purchase if I do it right.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

...sharing your pain!

Tim, I went thru the same thing a few years ago.
Sorry, i don't have a good pirep for you, but here's what I can say....try to get a ride in someone's plane that KNOWS how to use their GPS, and see if you can compare the different brands in flight!
I bought an AvMap Geopilot II plus, the 5" screen one. Pretty steep learning curve to use, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It did fit on a suction mount to the right of my radio stack, and isn't too bad to view. Punching the buttons and toggling the joystick in flight sucks tho'.

The map database isn't bad for BC, but not perfect... need to add private or emergency strips that you'd want to use in a pinch. Most GPS vendors buy their digital maps from the limited handful of suppliers.
I know the AvMaps ( geopilot and EKP IV and V ) will take traffic input from a Zaon XRX and display the dots on the screen, but for $1500 there may be another, better solution, and I think you may be talking ADSB, which I have NO idea about in Canada.

GPS IN RV-4

Hi Tim
I have an RV-4 with an Avmap EKP IV installed on a Ram Mounts and it is no problem in an RV-4.

The Avmap is able to drive the autopilot ( Interface with my Dynon Skyview ) and also traffic & weather if you have the proper gears.

A Garmin 696 ( Fairly cheap if you buy a reconditioned one from Pacific Coast Avionics ) and it comes with the Weather antenna...

Both Gps have a 7'' screen which is plenty in a tight RV-4..

I'm including a couple pictures of my RV-4 panel to give you an idea..

---------------------------------------

Good luck in your search..

Bruno
[email protected]

Last edited:
None of your choices, but I have a Garmin 495 coupled to the Dynon D100 and it works well. The database issue is pretty much a non-issue IMO - the airports and terrain in AB/BC don't change a lot, although radio frequencies may get changed. I suppose if I were doing this again, I might go with the Dynon Skyview, but I looked at it at the factory, and would much prefer the 10" screen over the 7" screen on the Dynon. Both have the same relative size fonts, so the 10" is much more readable. The 7" was too small for me to easily read (maybe there is a setup place that allows one to change the font size?).

Greg

I but bought an EKP V back in Dec 2011.
Got a really good price from Steinair (really like dealing with them) plus the mail-in rebate of $400. I've never used a Garmin so can't compare, but here are a few comments:

The V is still fairly new, and I had some trouble updating the software on the net. Avmap US were motivated and worked to solve my problem by email and over the phone in spite of my marginal computer skills. When they decided the unit was at fault they immediately sent me a new one. Frustrating, but the service was good.
I'm still waiting to get their rather pricey dock before I mount it in the panel.
Planning to feed my 406 GPS and Dynon D100 / D120.

I'm using it as a knee pad at the moment and finding the joystick hard to use in turbulence.

There are parts of the data base which I find misleading or useless. For example, class C airspace in Vancouver TCA just west of CYCD starts at 4500'. You need to talk to Victoria on 120.8. On the Avmap, selecting "Airspaces" just lists ATIS and TWR frequencies. It would also be nice if it noted that it is class C airspace.
Bottom line: You still need your VTA chart.
Some of the terminology is based on US rather than Canadian, though you do get the hang of that. eg ATF and MF frequencies both show up as MUL on the airport data. Important difference.
It would be nice to see better frequency info with call signs. eg Pacific radio at Tofino.
They seem interested in user feed-back and we might see improvements in Canadian data with time.
It's an attractive unit and very light weight - inexpensive, too with the rebate. I hope they take the trouble to make refinements to the canadian data base.

Last edited:
Im a big fan of the 696, it's user friendly and the database I have found to be quite accurate. I have not flown with the 796 yet, but my Dads 177rg just got an avionics upgrade including a gtn 650, also with a yoke mount avmap IV. We lifted off on a bit of a bumpy day and I found the 650 with the touch screen very hard to navigate through. The 796 I can see having much of the same issues. And the 3D vision is not that big of a deal, I find it a little cheasy. If it were my plane I'd go with the 696, then the 796, and avmap 3rd. Hope this helps

I have an Aera 500 in my -6 and love all things about it but one: the screen brightness is horrible. Initially I thought it was fine, and said so to a number of people and even here on VAF. Unfortunately, in the harsh light of day (literally) I have to admit it's not the best choice for an RV with its bubble canopy. On a sunny day with sunglasses on, it's almost unreadable.

I wish Garmin would fix this, because I'd probably upgrade. Despite the exorbitant cost of database updates (mine are now two years old) I still prefer the Garmin user interface. Wish I could afford a GNS430. :)

I hear that the 495/496 is much brighter and more readable, as are the 695/696 and Aera 7-series.

I have a GNS430 for IFR stuff and also a Garmin 496. The 496 was the unit before the 696 came out. If you are not going to shoot approaches then try and buy a used 496, they are easy to use, easy to see and do not take up much room. Many $50,000 panels can be seen with a 496 front and center!

Hey Tom,

I?m 55 yrs old and trying to read stuff up close is becoming more difficult without glasses. In the cockpit of the RV?s do you feel the readability of the small screen of the 496 is better than the larger newer screens?

Yes, the size of the 696 could make things a little more cramped in the 4.

Thanks

Tim

Tim
ALL of this stuff is designed by young types that have yet to experience the need for reading glasses. I have to wear reading glasses for basically all my instruments and maps and the 496 is quite clear and legible. There are no sunlight issues with the colour garmins, such as the 496