AX-O

Well Known Member
Well, I picked up a 1946 Cessna 140. I needed something to fly while building the -8. Performance is not impressive however, burning 5 gph is economical. I am in Lubbock TX waiting for the weather to clear. My dad and I picked up the plane a few miles North-East of Tulsa OK and will be traveling to Southern California. On the way to LBB we had a 28 knot head wind. I think I saw a little kid on a bike going faster than us. Here she is.

scaled_7b18_800x600_128043-IM000899.jpg

scaled_ab6a_800x600_128043-IM000900.jpg

scaled_d678_800x600_128043-IM000901.jpg

Congrats!

Axel,
Where NE of Tulsa did you buy it? I'm from that area. I learned to fly in a '47 140. I also notice your an AE, who do you work for?

Congrats

It looks like they put the wing on wrong. Ain't it supposed to go on low, like an RV?

She's a beauty. Even cooler that you got to do that with your dad. Now you can fly down to CNO sometime...like a week from Saturday! :)

AX-O said:
Well, I picked up a 1946 Cessna 140. I needed something to fly while building the -8.

That little Cessna might last for a 100 years if you don't ground loop it too seriously. I doubt that too many RVs will go half the distance. :p

Cessnas cop a lot of flack from RV drivers who probably learnt to fly in Cessnas and did dozens of really botched hard landings in them. They pay their respects by calling them "spam cans".

As I always say.....I'd rather fly an RV....but I'd rather crash a Cessna. :)

WSBuilder said:
Where NE of Tulsa did you buy it? I also notice your an AE, who do you work for?
I picked it up in Vinita OK (H04). I am an AE working as a Flight Test Engineer for a major aerospace company.

skyfrog said:
It looks like they put the wing on wrong. Ain't it supposed to go on low, like an RV?
Here we go :D The wing is in the wrong place and so is the little wheel. Oh and don't forget that Cessna did not use PRIMER :rolleyes: Should be a fun bird to fly.

dan said:
She's a beauty. Even cooler that you got to do that with your dad. Now you can fly down to CNO sometime...like a week from Saturday! :)
That by far is the coolest part of the purchase. I have not been able to fly with my dad for over 9 years. As of right now, the plan is to fly it into the airshow in Chino with my girlfriend. I have something BIG plan during the flight there for her. But after checking the altitudes of the mountains between IYK and CNO, I don't think that it will be possible. The only option I see would be to overfly highway 395 to I-15 then CNO. Do you have any other suggestions? With the DAs and only having 85HP, the plane won't climb over those mountains.

Last edited:
Sweet - I had a 140 years ago, still remember flying low on a summer morning with the windows open.

Fly safe and fly fun -

AX-O said:
But after checking the altitudes of the mountains between IYK and CNO, I don't think that it will be possible. The only option I see would be to overfly highway 395 to I-15 then CNO. Do you have any other suggestions? With the DAs and only having 85HP, the plane won't climb over those mountains.
That's what I'd do. Cajon Pass is the way to go. Otherwise you could go around to the west, Newhall Pass or whatever. No worries if you can't do it safely...don't push it.

Congratulations!

My first taildragger was a C140A. Had a lot of fun in that bird, as you will yours. Looks like you got a nice one.

AX-O said:
I have something BIG plan during the flight there for her. But after checking the altitudes of the mountains between IYK and CNO, I don't think that it will be possible.

Surely you can get above 5280 feet ... :D :D

Congrats on the plane -- looks great. My first tailwheel time was in a friend's '46 C-140.

T.

Last edited:
She's a real looker, Axel. I've always found the timeless, classic look of a mature beauty to be especially appealing.

I owned my pristine C-150 for over 18-1/2 seasons and countless offers to sell over the years. When the time finally came, she rewarded me with top dollar and 1-1/2 logbooks filled with the warmest of memories.

Your 140 may not be the fastest or youngest of fillies, but she has long since proved she can endure.

Treat her with loving respect and she will reward you with memories as rich as any.

Have fun Axel...its all about the journey. ;)

Hometown

AX-O said:
I picked it up in Vinita OK (H04). I am an AE working as a Flight Test Engineer for a major aerospace company.

Vinita is my hometown! From whom did you buy it, if I may ask? I work for LM in Fort Worth.

WSBuilder said:
Vinita is my hometown! From whom did you buy it, if I may ask? I work for LM in Fort Worth.

I got the bird from a guy name Clu. Nice guy, he told me he is building a -6.

I've had my 85hp Cessna 120 above 12,000' on several occasions. When flying low performance airplanes in high terrain, be aware of wind direction and speed aloft, so you can avoid sinking air on the lee side of mountans, and get lift from the upslope. I've owned my Cessna 120 for 37 years and my RV-6 for 3 years. I feel lucky to own two great airplanes.

Rick6a said:
She's a real looker, Axel. I've always found the timeless, classic look of a mature beauty to be especially appealing.

I owned my pristine C-150 for over 18-1/2 seasons and countless offers to sell over the years. When the time finally came, she rewarded me with top dollar and 1-1/2 logbooks filled with the warmest of memories.

Treat her with loving respect and she will reward you with memories as rich as any.

Thank you. I have always love the classic look of the 120/140s. I plan on taking good care of her. I told myself I just needed something to fly, I will not be dumping money or time into it because it will take away from the -8. Well I don't think that is going to happen. I think the bird will get a lot of time and love. As far as the logbooks go.... I have 5 of them :eek: They go back to the original owner with everything that came from Cessna. I am starting a new one for the airframe and one for the prop/engine. That way I can put the other books in a safe.