Thanks Ron

The background is better but the size is still too small. I will get a magnifying glass and write the number on it with legible size print.

Another FAA poorly implemented project.

Ron,

This is the new instant medical check by the FAA. When they do a ramp check, they ask to see your license. If it is the new plastic license, they ask you to read your pilot's license number from your license. If you cannot read it, they pull your license and and accuse you of forging your medical. If you are old, they've got you. Either your eyesight is going, and you cannot read the number, or your memory is going, and you cannot remember your number.

Ok, but it could happen :) .

Tracy.

I can still read mine...

Tracy, I think you broke the code! ;)

I'm an old duffer and my medical says "Must wear corrective lenses...." But I can read the number on mine.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

For those over 50, you can request that your new pilot licensed be issued in braille, to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Then just learn how to read your number in braille. That should work except for the memory thing... :D

if you look at the black lines that make up orville and wilburs coat collars and the wing struts of the wright flyer you will notice that this is also writing,

it is in fact Marion Blakley's speech commerating the 100th anniversarie of flight

I had to use a jewlers loop to read it :D

The Plastic Licenses Do Not Hold Up Well

I made the switch to the plastic license recently because the AOPA said it is going to be required soon. It is another piece of fat plastic in an already packed billfold. I have had my Repairman's Certificate which is also the same plastic form with different information printed on it. The Repairman's Certificate is very faded compared to the Pilot's License. Another potential problem is breakage. My State Driver's License is also plastic and I used to carry such plastic articles in staggered pockets in my billfold so that the upper edge of each was visible as well as some in common pockets behind the displayed plastic licenses and credit cards. My state driver's license is cracked completely across where it overlapped the edge of a card staggered behind it.

The paper license held up just fine for decades.

Bob Axsom

Not a License

Hey guys, I hate to be picky here but it's a certificate, not a license.

Funny.....

N258RE said:
if you look at the black lines that make up orville and wilburs coat collars and the wing struts of the wright flyer you will notice that this is also writing,

it is in fact Marion Blakley's speech commerating the 100th anniversarie of flight

I had to use a jewlers loop to read it :D

I thought you were joking, until I got out a magnifying glass!

New Issue Certs

Another good point, some have seen and caught on to this... the new tracking device in the bottom right hand corner. Now they'll know who, when and where everyone is flying at all times. :eek:

LifeofReiley said:
Another good point, some have seen and caught on to this... the new tracking device in the bottom right hand corner. Now they'll know who, when and where everyone is flying at all times. :eek:

So should we be carrying these in those anti-static foil bags?

Regardless of what is printed on a document, etc.

Mel said:
Hey guys, I hate to be picky here but it's a certificate, not a license.

It is a license and a certificate. Common usage establishes what things are (yes legally) and what the FAA choses to call them or print on them does not change that. A certificate can be a certification of "something" as well as a license - they are not mutually exclusive. It is also a thin piece of plastic, a scraper, a document, etc.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
plastic certificate

Bob Axsom said:
... The Repairman's Certificate is very faded compared to the Pilot's License. Another potential problem is breakage. ...
I had not looked closely at mine, but you are right - some of the lettering on mine is starting to scratch off...

c177tx said:
For those over 50, you can request that your new pilot licensed be issued in braille, to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Then just learn how to read your number in braille. That should work except for the memory thing... :D

ok, answer this, why do they have braille on drive in atm machines?