MeAndMyToys

Well Known Member
Just boarded plane for trip from PDX TO PHX. I'd almost be there by now left the house at 7:30 AM now it 11:17. Gotta keep pounding those rivets, I know it'll BE WORTH IT!!!

Nah...

IF you flew yourself, you'd miss out on the wonderful airport parking fee's, being groped by the TSA, and the lovely line that forms 30 minutes before boarding. Not to mention crying babies, drooling seatmates, etc. Keep flying commercial...it's the journey not the destination!

Just boarded plane for trip from PDX TO PHX. I'd almost be there by now left the house at 7:30 AM now it 11:17. Gotta keep pounding those rivets, I know it'll BE WORTH IT!!!

I never knew how much I disliked them till I finished and started flying the RV. Just flew to Page, AZ last week. It would have been many times as long and more expensive if I was going to fly commercially, not to mention the headache and poor service the airlines offer now days.

Love flying the RV to my destinations, other than overseas trips

My wife (later) was completely blown away with the rental-car-brought-to-the-plane treatment, and now expects routine trips by RV. Haven't had the rental car waiting for me 10-ft from a 737 yet.

When you fly your own and taxi up to the FBO and a nice lineman parks you out front while another brings your rental car around behind the plane, then the first starts loading your luggage. You walk inside to the bathroom, say hello to the smiling counter girl then drive off down the road thinking - this was too easy, something MUST be missing.
Keep pounding those rivets.

When you fly your own and taxi up to the FBO and a nice lineman parks you out front while another brings your rental car around behind the plane, then the first starts loading your luggage. You walk inside to the bathroom, say hello to the smiling counter girl then drive off down the road thinking - this was too easy, something MUST be missing.

Just avoiding TSA "grope rape" was worth the ~12 years of effort for me. Argh.

Ya! I'm showing this thread to MY wife. She flew Southwest to PHX from SEA, via RNO today. I know she's hating airliners right now!

no one mentioned the fancy FBOs that have the warm chocolate chip cookies waiting for you. :) door-to-door times are what matters. I can match Portland to LA, especially considering I'm not flying into LAX.

Executive Platinum, on AA 4 years running! "Excuse me ma'am, I'd like to buy drinks for all my VAF buds in the back of the plane"

I grew up flying around the country in my Dad's 170 Cessna. I had to show my wife the replies here because she is worried about all the stuff we'll miss flying instead of doing the road trip thing. I kept telling her it wouldn't be a problem getting a car where ever we land. She still hasn't been able to wrap her head around the "courtesy car thing".

My wife (later) was completely blown away with the rental-car-brought-to-the-plane treatment, and now expects routine trips by RV. Haven't had the rental car waiting for me 10-ft from a 737 yet.

You haven't spent enough money.:eek: My airline actually has plane side Mercedes service for the high rollers. :D

Airlines suck as a passenger, until it's 500 and 1/2, especially up and down the west coast.

red carpet

fly into an FBO and arrange for a red carpet for you wife. she will remember that.

I really dislike the commercial aviation travel experience.

I live 10 minutes from my plane. It's important to remember that, not only do we get to avoid the arrive early - check in - get TSA assaulted - wait for departure, etc scene, BUT I can also arrive at my destination (and usually at an airport closer to my actual destination) SOONER than if I flew commercial.

I'm in Texas right now....heading back toward Florida later today.....it's THE ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL!

You guys have all got it wrong. With your own Citation and crew, you don't even have to preflight or put it away.....just get on and off. Still get curb side vehicle.:D

CBP

Here all this time I've gotten in all wrong. Maybe the recent rash of CBP stops for GA flights is the Fed's way of "extending" their services so us GA folk don't miss out on the whole "airline experience" when we fly...

I love the airline experience - not!

I was traveling DCA to TUL via a connecting flight in Atlanta Thursday when I change in plans necessitated that I discontinue my trip and return to DCA directly. The airline "service" representative I was referred to by the gate agent asked to see my unused boarding pass (for the second leg of my flight) then said it would cost $800 to return to DCA. I told he I didn't want a first class ticket. He said it wasn't, that re-booking my exist flight just cost that much. I told him to trash the boarding pass, and just sell me a one-way Atlanta to DCA ticket. After discussing this with a couple of other "service" reps (there were no other customers at the counter - just five agents all listening to this) he determined that he could do as I ask, and sold me a $400 coach ticket home.

Can anyone imaging giving up this kind of personal service and flying your own plane????

You haven't spent enough money.:eek: My airline actually has plane side Mercedes service for the high rollers. :D

Airlines suck as a passenger, until it's 500 and 1/2, especially up and down the west coast.

Nope, airlines suck is still an absolute in that case. That situation just translates into the "weather sucks" category.

Flying from Tx to Fl.

I'm in Texas right now....heading back toward Florida later today.....it's THE ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL!

Arlen, How long did you take to fly from TX to Fl. I am planning on flying to TX in October if I have my RV6 by then for a cruise and was wondering how long it would take. I am going to be flying from Orlando/Leesburg area to Galviston, Tx. Please let me know. I am just trying to see if it is coast beneficial to fly the RV or go the dreaded Airlines.

Thanks,

Traveling form Tx to Fl

I'm in Texas right now....heading back toward Florida later today.....it's THE ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL!,

Arlen, How long did you take to fly from TX to Fl. I am planning on flying to TX in October if I have my RV6 by then for a cruise and was wondering how long it would take. I am going to be flying from Orlando/Leesburg area to Galviston, Tx. Please let me know. I am just trying to see if it is coast beneficial to fly the RV or go the dreaded Airlines.

Last edited:

Not Arlen, but SnF to College Station a few weeks ago was just a touch over five hours with 20-25 knot headwinds in our RV-6. One fuel stop - and easy afternoon.

Bags

When I take friends on a trip on the -10, I make them claim their luggage from carousel 6 just to give it that airline feel.
No lost luggage yet.