Ron Lee

Well Known Member
A friend who owns one and a Baron offered to let me fly his 150 this afternoon. After start up we taxied out to the runway and took off. I did ok on lift off and then we flew east a short distance just to get the feel of the plane. Then we came in and I did two touch n gos before the final landing.

The second T&G I know that I kept the nose wheel off the pavement during the entire ground time.

Every time I turned I tried to look around for traffic the wing got in the way. The visibility is very different than the 6A. Control forces took a bit to adjust to but not that difficult. Overall I felt that I was not flying it as smoothly as I do my 6A.

It was a lot of fun to fly a Cessna again since that is what I learned to fly in but it makes me appreciate my 6A even more.

Ron,
You know its kinda funny flying a Cessna after being in an RV for a while. I remember a couple month ago I flew a C-172 to get some instrument currency. I had not flown a Cessna in several months. On takeoff roll I kept looking at the ignition switch thinking I must have left it on the left or right mag. What a pig, and the yoke was so sluggish. I truly love the way my RV takes off and lands. No long ground effect float that happen all the time in a 172. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in C-150, 152, 172, 182 and had a great time flying them. But man, I'm glad to have graduated to the RV!

Chuck Olsen
RV-7A
TSP

Similar experience

I did my bi-annual in a Cessna 150 a couple years ago. I had over 600 hours in a C150 and hadn't flown one in over a year. I had been flying my 9A. The feel of the airplane came back fairly easy, but it was a total different experience and it surprised me how impatient I was in the climb out. 300-500 ft. per minute fully loaded and more than halfway along downwind before reaching pattern altitude. I usually get to pattern altitude as I'm turning crosswind in the RV. It really makes you appreciate these great airplanes.

i love them

but one time when i was climbing out (if you can call it that) we were 50 ft from the target alt and we were climbing at 50 fpm. i said we'll be there in a minute. then we laughed outloud at the same time....because it was true.
still love them though.

Better than nothing

I bought a one third share in a 1972 C150 about ten years ago and have restored it to nearly new condition. I have been paying the cost of an nice RV6 annualy for my kid's college tuition for the last six years (two more years to go before number 3 graduates). I have been flying my own plane all this time while many friends have gotten their private ticket and stopped flying due to the high cost and poor condition of rentals. My original plan was to start building when #3 graduates, but now I think I will just make believe I am still paying tuition and by a flying version. The C150 is worth a pretty penny and will come in handy as a down payment on the RV.