aarvig

Well Known Member
Last July my airplane building came to a sudden halt. My wife and I decided it was time to upgrade from a starter home to one that would actually fit our family of five plus a dog. I had been building in the climate controlled comfort of our basement and had both wings framed up and ready to be riveted when we found a lot we fell in love with. We decided to test the market by putting our home up for sale. We listed our home on July 3rd and got a call the morning of July 4th that we had a full price offer on our home but we had to be out immediately. Well, I shifted gears, packed and stored the house and the airplane project and we moved home to my mom and dads house for 6 months while our new home was being built.
I had the new garage built with a 2.5 plus one side-load garage. The main garage holds two cars plus and extra 200 sq. ft for storage and perpendicular to that is a large 1 car garage that will house my shop. Just enough room without breaking the budget.
After a month of hauling airplane parts from the mini storage I went at the shop project for 2 weeks and got it all put together.
We love the new house and I love my new shop...its not as warm as my basement but it will do. I do not recommend moving a project unless you absolutely have to. Its a lot of work. But my shop is done and I should be able to start riveting again this week. YEAH!!!:D
Here is what it looks like:

DSC_0039-1.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

looks great Aaron. You should have a great place to build now and so close to home! Have fun.

Great idea for empennage storage! I see your space is not a football field Aaron where do you plan to store your wings? The farther from fuse build the better.

The ceiling heights are 12.5 feet in the garage. I'm going to build a special "cradle" on pulleys that I can raise and lower to the ceiling to hold them above the garage door. That will get them up out of the way.
I do have the garage insulated so even a medium sized space heater warms it up to about 50 on a cold winter night. I could heat it for a couple grand, but a couple grand could also go a long way in the build so I'll hold for now and see how I perform in the cold.

You'll be fine ...

My garage/shop has a ceiling hung unit heater with wall mounted thermostat. When I was working out there, I never set the 'stat above 55F, and it was delightfully comfortable. 60F or above had me sweating when doing anything other than staring at plans/instructions.

Holy shamolies batman. I built my shop back in August and it still isn't looking as setup and organized as yours. I relly love to see other builders shops and where everything is placed, it helps me to decide where to put new tools when they get added without having to sit here and waste hours and try and figure out what would be the most useful spot for it and what kind of a stand I should build for it.

Looks good Aaron! You'll be spending a lot of time in there.

I changed mt shop configuration a half-dozen times in the course of my slow-build.

Looking good Aaron! That's a similar setup to my garage/shop...except mine is noticeably lacking airplane parts! :eek:

Looking good Aaron! That's a similar setup to my garage/shop...except mine is noticeably lacking airplane parts! :eek:

Hey Doc,
As you may know...building is like a chronic disease. Once you get bit by the bug it'll never leave you. You just need to give in. Just order a kit and start hammering rivets:D.