Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
I am just finishing my fuel tank and I have discovered something worse than taping sheet rock. It's not that sheet rock mud is impossible to work with. Anyone can do it. But when you watch the ease with which a pro does it that you realize that you don't have the knack. Pro seal is the same way. I have it on, and I don't think the tank will leak. The stuff got every where, it's not very pretty, and it is a real pain to work with. Knowing what I know now, I'd have gladly paid the $200 to have it built.

is it really that inexpensive?

I REALLY feel like I put more than 200 bucks worth of labor into each one of my tanks. I feel like they came together well and there aren't any leaks. I feel like I know a bit more about proseal and messy tools and rv-tanks and worried anticipation and and and

so did I pay myself with my own labor for the lesson? Does that make sense?

It's a thankless task indeed.

Proseal

Proseal is messy. I remember one RV builder saying that within 5 minutes after starting his tanks he had proseal everywhere, even in his armpits!

Some guys just have the "knack"...

...for working on anything and not getting dirty. I've just watched my buddy build his -3 tanks and only his plastic gloves had proseal on them.....they are his fourth set of tanks, however.

Think of the experience as a character bulder:)

Best,

I just didn't have any problems with the tank or using Proseal, this was my first encounter with "black death", and 45 hours of flight later I am still using the old window, no leaks, no mess. :eek:

Looney Larry's TOD (Tip Of The Day): :D Here are tips for those getting ready to tackle the now infamous RV-12 fuel tank.

Using Proseal is a "right of passage" to building an airplane, a time honored initiation into the world of homebuilt airplanes. Embrace it! (Not literally! ;)) Think of all of those who have gone before you. It is now your turn to join the ranks of the initiated..... but wear old clothes just incase. ;)

First, tell yourself you can do this, repeat after me; "If Larry can do it by following the instruction, so can I". To me it is all about mental and material preparation, and thinking things through before you mix the Proseal. The instant you get any Proseal on your gloves you must either clean it off with solvent or change the gloves. If you get any on the spreading stick or tools near your fingers change the stick or stop and clean it off. You have plenty of time! Don't "forge ahead till the bitter end" stop, clean it up, take a deep breath and proceed.

To apply Proseal in tight areas where a bead of sealant is called for use a baker's icing bag and shoot it though the tip. :D If you don't want to mess around with a bakers bag or syringe (BTW, both work exceptionally well) get a stiff freezer bag, put some proseal in it and squeeze it into the corner. Cut the very tip off and you have a nice proseal dispensor. Think like a surgeon! Keep plenty of disposable towels, gloves, and solvent handy, and don't drink coffee before you start!

Read Marty's blog, http://martysrv12.blogspot.com/2009/05/fuel-tank-proseal-1st-experience.html use the search function on VAF and read other posts & threads, call a friend who has done it before, call me (you really are scraping the bottom of the barrel there! ;)), have a EAA tech counselor come over and help you get set up. Read the instructions. By now you get the point.

Anyone wanting to add proseal tips feel free to follow suit.
It is not that big of deal guys, really.

Last edited:
I agree with Larry....

... it's not that big a deal if you are well prepared, well organized with all your supplies and tools, and go slow. Stop and think about each action before you do it. Keep an open dish of solvent for dipping rags into. Have lots and lots of very small rags cut before hand and throw them away right after you use them. Go to the farm store and get a couple of syringes, and cut the tips off to deliver the right sized bead.

the secret to proseal!!!!!

I've built three sets of tanks and hated each one of them, then a good friend who is building a 6 showed me the light.......A LARGE SYRINGE FROM THE LOCAL VET. Fill it with proseal and and it lays a bead anywhere you want it. No more messy pop sticks.

Weld-on syringe?

Will Weld-on dispense in a syringe, or will it eat it before you can finish? I find that stuff worse than proseal (except you don't have to rivet through it). My problem with proseal is it slows your fretting hand. Great for retaining guitar picks however.

Hmmm... I like doing drywall work. Does that mean i'd like working with Proseal? I'm going to have to find out soon as I have a small spot that's weeping around one of the inboard inspection covers on one tank. Other builders have suggested just wiping it clean, and then applying proseal on the outside over the spot that's weeping. It should seal just as well on the outside of the tank as the inside, especially for such a small leak.

... it's not that big a deal if you are well prepared, well organized with all your supplies and tools, and go slow. Stop and think about each action before you do it. Keep an open dish of solvent for dipping rags into. Have lots and lots of very small rags cut before hand and throw them away right after you use them. Go to the farm store and get a couple of syringes, and cut the tips off to deliver the right sized bead.

Great tips from Larry and John!
I discovered the freezer bag trick on my third set of tanks. It works great and probably is easier to load than a syringe.
An easy way to load the bag, is to turn it inside out, load up your spatula or whatever with pro seal and set it down, put your hand inside the reversed bag, pick up the spatula and place the gob of pro seal onto your bagged hand. You can then scrape the spatula clean with your "bagged" hand. Then reverse the bag while you are holding the glob of pro seal from the inside.

I also gave up on gloves during the first tanks, it's easier to just keep plenty of paper towels handy and off the roll and pre folded like a napkin and the acetone uncapped or in a dish. To clean my hands, I wipe them off with the acetone, and when I'm finally done and everything is cleaned up, I'll finish up by scrubbing my hands with SOS pads. The staining only lasts a couple of days!:D
I also tape over all the skin irritant warnings on the acetone can, so my wife doesn't see them!;)

My first set of tanks!

All the tips I found here really helped me. Also my two helpers ( Wayne and Casey ) were a great asset. We went at the pro-seal 4 times to complete my tanks and each session went better than before. We each just found our own little part and kept at it. So get some good helpers and keep-um!

It seems to me every step in my construction was anticipated allot harder than it actually was! I'm installing the engine now, I hope it falls into that "category" as well.

proseal armpits?

Proseal is messy. I remember one RV builder saying that within 5 minutes after starting his tanks he had proseal everywhere, even in his armpits!

I think people should scratch themselves thoroughly before building tanks to keep proseal out of armpits. ;)

I don't think it is that bad. All of us are adventurous enough to build our own planes. It's how we approach the process. I quite enjoyed building my tanks.