Casey Stewart

Well Known Member
Don't worry, Its not my plane that i have been flying forever and haven't been flying safe. I am an aspiring aviation enthusiast with the blessing of having helped my dad build a -7. I have flown with him forever and I have had a decent amount of stick time, but I have never stalled.

Today I asked my dad if we could go flying. He said "will you stall it?" I knew that was the only way I was going up today. I was out of excuses for not doing it. I have ridden along on the controls for at least two dozen stalls by now and stalled on flight sim at least 18 million times.

We took off from Arlington (KAWO) and in just 5 1/2 minutes we were over the scattered cloud layer a few miles south of the airport and at 6,500 feet with the plane ready to go. My dad did a few more stalls with me riding along to make sure I was ready, then he told me it was my plane. With him riding along and the plane going 80 (mph) I leveled off and let the speed drop. Everything went exactly as it should. As the speed dropped, the was a buffet, the left wing dropped, i corrected with some rudder as i released back pressure and got my airspeed back. No problem! 7 or 8 more stalls later and it was goof off time. Dad took the stick and we went cloud dancing and somehow ended up going upside-down:D . How did that happen:rolleyes:?

I guess its time to try takeoffs!!!

Nice work, Casey! Next, spins! :)

Just kidding. Sounds like you're having a blast up there. As soon as I finish my annual inspection, i'll be up there too... But about an hour to the north.

Congratulations! I myself have flown in many stalls, one was even unintentional. I love stalling an aircraft and until you accidently find yourself in a stall, you can never appreciate the value of good stall experience.

I started flying in gliders, and when thermalling, you try to go as slow as possible in a turn of about 45AOB....Naturally, glider pilots get very good at riding the line. I was once over ambitious in a thermal, felt the buffering, tried controlling the aircraft conventionally then snapped into training mode and recovered. Luckily I was at 7,000ft AGL, but it made me realise the importance of good training. If I hadn't had the training or confidence instilled within me, I would never be able to fly a glider well or have recovered well.

So my advice, don't be timid with learning to control an aircraft in a stall!

I can't count the number of intentional stalls....

...I've done...teaching students and for practise.

However, keep in mind that one of the most important aspects of learning stalls is to realize the conditions that cause a stall, and how to avoid those conditions. A chimpanzee could stall an airplane but only someone who is trained well can recover...alive.

Best,