Bret S

I decided to use one of the called out options to get to a more difficult spot in the R-710 rudder horn (LP4-3). I only used 2 rivets of this type in the outter most positions, but came to realize I cannot rivet the R-902 spar to the R-903 tip rib since I only have 1 spare. Looking for options to the $10.05 cost to get 1 rivet (you know $4 handling $6 shipping $0.05 for the rivet). I do have 2 BSPQ-5-4 rivets remaining used in the horizontal stab. Are these spares since I've done the HS? Can I just enlarge the holes to #19 and use these? Another alternative might be to dimple and use CS4-4, but that leads me to another dilemma. I have also chosen to use CS4-4s (8 of them) to attache the rudder horn to the bottom rib. Now do you think there may be enough (10) spares for this? All I need is one lousy 5 cent rivet. Giving us a one wholeLP4-3 spare Van's spares no expense :D

BTW This same message was sent to Van's support on Sunday and I haven't received any response. Do others typically get 3+ day turnaround times on simple questions? I'd like to make some forward progress, but 3+ days and 6 days to get a new/replacement part. We're talking more than a week to get a resolution to a trivial problem. :(

Why don't you go through your inventory and order some extra items from Spruce or Van's to avoid this problem in the future?

Do what I did: find a local RV builder and ask to borrow a LP4-3. I borrowed about 30 mk319bs rivets from a local builder not too long ago and that allowed me to finish my trim tab.

Just post your location here and I'm sure you'll be all set.

re: responses from Vans. For some reason, Yahoo's spam filter sporadically tags Van's emails as spam. I have to look in my rejects folder to find some of their responses. Annoying but convenient to be able to get my mail from any computer sometimes.

gbrasch said:
Why don't you go through your inventory and order some extra items from Spruce or Van's to avoid this problem in the future?

Yes. This will certainly be the method I'll use in the future. My ignorance as first time builder. :rolleyes:

I'd gladly give Van's $50 more dollars up front to include a small library of rivets, screws and nuts.

I'm in San Diego. I live 1.5hrs from Aircraft Spruce, but I can't seem to identify "LP4-3" as a specific rivet. I'm guessing that's Van's designation. I do see "Low Profile" structual rivets and I'm guessing this is the one, but not willing to bet my rudder on it.

You'll have lots of extra rivets by the end of the project. Of course that doesn't help you now. I also got a bag (I think with the fuselage kit) of extra nuts, bolts, cotter pins, etc.

Often your local airport will have a parts supply place on sight. Check around there. There has to be something close to KSAN. You also don't have to get the exact same rivet. Something like a Cherrymax would probably work (perhaps something in the CR3213 series... don't know what grip length you require, though).

Near KPDK there's a place called Falcon Crest. Definitely not the cheapest but it's a place to go when you need it now.

Just an idea. But borrowing from a local builder is a great option. Any RV builder should have some on hand as they're used all over the place.

rivet

tell me exactly what u need and how many ...send me your address by private e mail ..I'll stuff them in an envelope and send them to u by USPostal service..you'll get them sooner than Vans and ...free
Son RV10 airframe completed

Sounds like a job that you might be able to put aside for later. I keep a punch list on my shop wall for those small pauses and another list with needed hardware or parts. This allows me to plan purchases better so I can buy more items at once to bundle the costs for better economies.

Some of the hardware supplied or spec'ed by Vans is not carried by the usual suspects (Spruce, Wicks etc.) and you find you must go back and pay the $4 handling fee. In these cases, bundled orders lower your cost.

Granted, sometimes you can't wait for a large order due to build sequence, waiting for the next kit or being just to excited about building on.

A previous lister mentioned buying some spare hardware. Not a bad idea. I bought spare solid rivets, castellated nuts, anchor nuts, self locking nuts, screws and an assortment of grommets. It's nice to have the extra hardware when you start integrating your systems.

Jekyll

Exactly as Jekyll said. Just put it aside for now. You're going to get a lot more rivets and stuff as time goes on. If it makes you feel better, put some blue painter's tape on there so you'll remember it. Press on!

Bret,

I'm building a 9A up in Ramona and I'm sure I have a few spare LP4-3s. You can either drop by or I can mail them to you. Your choice. Call me at work (858)455-2486

Bill

I did the same thing. Bought the rivets, I have a bunch extra email me and I'll mail you some if you like dk at davidkarlsberg.com I am in so cal.

Bret S said:
BTW This same message was sent to Van's support on Sunday and I haven't received any response. Do others typically get 3+ day turnaround times on simple questions? I'd like to make some forward progress, but 3+ days and 6 days to get a new/replacement part. We're talking more than a week to get a resolution to a trivial problem. :(
I can only imagine how many emails Van's gets per day. I always called them directly on the phone whenever I had a question. Surefire way to get an answer right now. Soon you'll also be able to spout out 503-678-6545-press3 from memory!!! :D

BillC said:
Bret,

I'm building a 9A up in Ramona and I'm sure I have a few spare LP4-3s. You can either drop by or I can mail them to you. Your choice. Call me at work (858)455-2486

Bill

Sold! I'll give you a call and drop by if possible.

Boy this beats Van's tech support. The Van's community ceases to amaze me. I am truly humbled :p

dan said:
I can only imagine how many emails Van's gets per day. I always called them directly on the phone whenever I had a question. Surefire way to get an answer right now. Soon you'll also be able to spout out 503-678-6545-press3 from memory!!! :D
This may not be everyone's experience, but my email questions have always gotten answered within 24-36 hours. I've been very pleased with Van's customer support in this regard. One thing that I do think helps in getting a quick response is to keep the questions concise and make them clear. Sometimes an attached pictures seems to help them get answers back more quickly as well. The good thing about email is that you always have an answer back in writing which helps you remember exactly what their advice was. Good luck.