CubedRoot

Well Known Member
So I have finally found some free time to work in my shop. After moving into a new house, getting settled and then having a newborn my Tail kit has seen very little attention.

After working a few practice kits, I realized having my dimpler on my workstation was putting it at a bad height and was a pain to move on and off when I didnt need it. I decided to build a cart for it.

I started out using the EAA worktable plans since those things are rock solid when you get done. I essentially just shortened the length from 60" to 36" and lowered the height so that my dimple dies would be even with my worktables when I put my carpet on them. I wanted the dimple dies to be just slightly higher than the carpet surface so I measured for that and sized the legs appropriately.

I also used 2x4's, laid horizontally under the 3/4 particle board top so that I could have a solid surface to bolt the dimpler down on. These 2 horizontal 2x4's are spaced so that the bolt holes on the dimpler are in the middle of the boards to give a good amount of wood to bolt on.

I found some REALLY good casters at home depot for less than 8 bucks a piece and used those. Here they are:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-in-Polyurethane-Swivel-Caster-with-Brake-4120545EB/203672194

I highly recommend these things... superbly well built.

After a few hours of work, I ended up with a very nice little table. I am going to finish it off tonight by building the "wings" that are included in the dimpler instructions. I plan on making the wings removable so I can just stow them under the cart when I don't need them. The wings will be sized so that they are the exact length of my new cart, and when placed next to my worktables, they will line up perfectly and in effect add another 36" of working area to my tables when using the dimpler cart.

Here's a link to the full album of photos:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WS1NSUliX1V2aEEtOUU3WktYS1FoN2NmUnZ1WWpR

Last edited:
Nice

Nice Work.
You have great carpentry skills.
Those should translate into a nice airplane!
Thanks for posting your ideas.

When I built mine (a workbench-top version), I put the dimpler off-center for more flexibility on how I could use it. :)