AltonD

Well Known Member
Avery RV tool kit is on the way. I have been cleaning the garage and getting ready to buy more stuff. I need a drill press, belt sander, etc.

I plan on ordering the empennage kit late fall.

I have been scoping this out for awhile and will be bombarding the forum with tons of questions, so, I apologize in advance for my dumb questions.

Alton
Getting ready to buck the first rivet
Dothan, Alabama

Alton,

Congrats!

I did the same last week. My Cleveland set should be here Monday. I bought the drill press, band saw, and sander from Lowe's and set them up in the garage all today.

With any luck I'll be starting next weekend (I have an exercise at the base this week).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Check Six,
Ron Hanselman

N55cu

Go ahead and order that tail kit. I spent too much time contemplating but once that order is placed you are commited to go! I'm just finishing mine up & the QB fuselage and wings are due this week or next. Have fun entering a new world, its a lot of fun!
Randy Utsey
RV-7
Charlotte, N.C.

RatF16 said:
I bought the drill press, band saw, and sander from Lowe's and set them up in the garage all today.

You are wise to buy the band saw from the get go. A band saw would have saved me at least 20+ hours of sawing aluminum with a hacksaw. And done a better job. On the other hand, my right arm would not be as strong as it is!

... Bill
RV -7 Fuse

I sure wish I had gotten my band saw a lot sooner than I did. Be sure to get a metal cutting blade for it and put it on right away.

A plain old bench grinder on a bench grinder stand is very helpful, too. Put a regular scotchbrite wheel on one side and the finer (polish?) wheel on the other and remove the guards.

Getting the tool kit is only the inital step >>> there'll be tons of other tools you'll get along the way.

Buy that tail kit and start drilling! Before you know it a year will have passed and you still won't have the kit.

FYI, you can get good band saw blades from eBandsawBlades. Good, quick service from them. I buy a few at a time so I don't have to worry about running out.

I have found 1/4" 18 TPI (Teeth Per Inch) blades work great on aluminum.

As for the bench grinder, I don't use it on aluminum. Put your scotch bright wheel on a mandrel and stick it in your drill press. That will give you more room to move parts around it. Just remember to slow the thing down to its slowest setting.

And don't even think of using a bench grinder on aluminum. That's a big no no. There was a tread about that a few months back.

I have a Delta bench sander with a 4" belt and 5" disk, works great. I have put a rough disk on the disk for rough shaping and a smoother one on the belt for cleaning up the parts and then finish them off on the deburring wheel.

I don't think I could have gotten as far as I have w/o my $10 garage sale band saw.

Bench grinder stand

Harbor freight has a really good grinder stand, but it's a bit short (made in China....by chinese.....the short type). Go to your local muffler shop and they have pipe that'll fit the stand nicely. It will save your back!

Hwood

I?m committed

I placed my order for the empanage and slow build wing kit tonight. It is sitting on Van's fax machine wating on them in the morning.

AltonD
Empanage and Wings ordered
Dothan, Alabama