msturgis

Well Known Member
I reached a huge milestone in my project recently. My plan originally was to take out a large loan and buy a new 180hp IO360. Well I guess plans change! The good; I found a 200hp IO360-A1A. 2800tt 700smoh ,with all logs. The bad; Engine came from a Mooney with a prop strike. There is no question the crank is bad as the flange is bent and broken from when the plane tilted forward on the prop.

The engine was inspected, and I was told "looked to be good". Obviously a compleate tear down and compliance with the Lycoming prop strike procedures will be nescessary. So assuming I didn't just buy a $4000 paper weight, what would you guys do? Buy a new crank (around $3500) and go fly? Or do a compleate overhaul? Either way I think (hope) I can come out ahead of buying new.

Few photos...

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

Last edited:
I vote FULL overhaul. You're already tearing it down, already replacing the crank, already gonna have the case checked...may as well have a 0SMOH

Matt: Opinions will vary so here is mine. A strike great enough to damage the crank is serious. A tear down inspection with no damage,and required bolt replacement and rebuild gasket kit is approximately $4K. I would be
concerned, obviously crank replacement, about the accessory case gears, mag gears (nylon), prop governor, and oil pump, all very expensive items. I suggest you do the tear down with a major in mind since you have 700 hours on the engine, almost half way to the 2000 TBO. Price a crank, then insure the case is still usable, next the cam shaft and accessory gear trains. If ok on those items, proceed to the cost of overhaul of all rotating accessories, mags, oil and fuel pumps and alternator. If the price is within your budget, continue. With the engine completely torn down the extra cost to major the engine is not that great. You are looking at cylinder rebuilds, bearings, rings and you have already purchased the gasket kit and labor for disassembly and reassembly . Summing up, you bought the engine for $4K plus crank $3.5K plus $4K tear down/inspection costs, plus hidden damage costs says another $4K on the outside (no allowance for bad case) equals approximately $16K give or take. Add in approximately $2.5 for cylinder rebuilds and your into that engine for about $20K. However you have an engine with a fresh overhaul and you know what you have not what someone else says you have. The case is the deal breaker, but once you have verified its serviceability I think you are good to go. You need to know though, a little late in the game I realize, but that same $4K could have bought you a guaranteed serviceable core for overhaul. Good luck, Dan

full teardown

Regardless of what people say... "it looks good" or "I unbent the prop" etc.... Do a full teardown and prop-strike inspection. I'd hate for you to dump your new airplane somewhere or worse because "it looked good" seemed ok. Lots of wasted effort if you do that. If it's apart, and you can.... the budget will dictate if you can do the full overhaul or not.
Best of Luck!
Brian Wallis

Major it

Here's my opinion for doing the major OH. 20K are pennies compared to my passengers life or my own. It's already apart, why not have it done. As stated before YOU will know exactly what you have. IMHO, there's no acceptable "looks good" in this already risky passion we have.

I totally agree with everyone. First step is to have the inspection done per the Lycoming SB. I guess I cross my fingers ad hope I didn't buy a lemon.

Prop Strike Engine

Matt,

I would not waste the money just getting the prop strike SB done. In my opinion that SB is written more for that minor strike the shows no damage but the prop. If I remember correctly it is primarily a gear magnaflux type inspection. I still think you have made an ok purchase however this engine (in my opinion) needs a full overhaul. The fact that it already has 700SMOH also makes a strong case for a full overhaul You will be able to work with a good shop that will give you a good overhaul with options such as a serviceable used crank. Those are the cost reductions I would seek not the prop strike SB. Good luck.

Pat Stewart

Matt:
Major overhaul. With all the work in the new aircraft it is worth the money and sense of mind that everything in the engine is up to spec.