vic syracuse

Well Known Member
I know a lot of us have been influential over the years by giving rides in our RV's or other airplanes, either at fly-ins, Young Eagle rallies, or family rides, and every once in a while we get to see it really change someone. Sometimes they go off and learn to fly, sometimes they decide to build, sometimes it is enough just to get some kid on the right track in life. I thought I would share one with you that has taken about 10 years to get to this week....

About 10 years ago I had an early morning visit with my Dentist. When I arrived I noticed one new, shiny Cobra kit car in the parking lot. So, I asked if it was his, and it was, and yes he was very proud of it! I then asked why he was wasting his time building cars? I explained what I had built (and RV-6 at the time), and we agreed to trade rides. We did that just a few weeks later. It was cool that the RV-6 performance was a match for his Cobra! What has transpired over the next 10 years is really cool. He went and learned to fly immediately, including an Instrument rating. Then he bought a Piper Arrow, followed a few years later by a very nice, fire-breathing Mooney. And he has been to SNF and OSH. And yes, I have taken him for a ride in the RV-10. This week he ordered his RV-10 kit! Pretty cool, huh?
No, I didn't go and buy a car kit. :)

Vic

Last edited:
Does his wife know who caused this new addiction? :D

Very cool story Vic. Hopefully I can have a similar one after I finish my 7 one day. I owe my nail in the coffin to start my build to Kirk Groves and another friend of mine who is finishing up an RV-8 in the next month or two...

One of my favorite quotes...

I had the pleasure of riding in Doug Rozendaal's Rocket a few years ago. After we landed I asked if I could give him some money for gas. He smiled and said "that ride just cost you a whole lot more than it did me." Never heard anything more true.

I gave a young engineer his free ride in my 172.

He:
Private
bought the 172
instrument
sold 172
bought Cherokee 6

You think I should give him a ride in the RV7A?

Tail wind ride

A friend of mine, actually a friend of my wife?s husband, gave me a ride in his Whitman tail wind. Ugly as a gunny sack full of a**holes, but wow! He asked me what I thought of RVs, it seemed a funny question, why would he ask me about recreational vehicles, after a plane ride??I did a little research, and as they say, ?the rest is history?

Rides

I gave RV rides to two people and they have became friends, customers, and they now are nighbors here at my airport. They sold their respective houses and built their RVs here at www.RVCentral.us Bought hanger lots and built live-in hangers.

Last edited:
After my friend and I got out of the Marine Corps I got my Pvt lic. and took him for rides in the 172, he went and got his Lic. and helo ticket, now he owns a multi million $ Helo outfit in Malaysia.

Its been two years since I finished my 7A and I miss building

Last night I was up till 2AM day dreaming about building a -10

And since I can not part with my -7A....
Only if I could win the lottery, had a rich dad or rich father in-law!!!!!

As it stands, much like every thing else, I have to count only on myself and wife to achieve this dream.

I did a double-take at that one, too. I believe he meant to say, "... the husband of my wife's friend ..."

Otherwise, it's a mighty strange relationship. :D

yes thank you,
Can you believe English is my native language? I have to type everything into word, then copy & paste it to help with spelling. But I haven?t figured out how to turn on the stupid filter. yet

I got a ride in a Kitfox IV in the mid 90's. Cost me the rest of my life.

Spent the rest of my teenage years working to pay for flying, flight instructed my way through college, joined the Navy, been flying fighters ever since.

Spelling correction

...... gave me a ride in his Whitman tail wind. ......

I am sure the incorrect spelling was unintentional (my spelling is usually no better) but the the correct spelling is Wittman, as in Steve Wittman. Many newer EAA members may not be familiar with him but all homebuilders, RV builders included, owe him a debt of gratitude. Not only was he a famous air race pilot from the golden age of air racing and the person for whom the Oshkosh airport is named for, he was also the person responsible for convincing the US government to allow carrying passengers in experimental airplanes. In the 1950's, with his Tailwind, he showed that airplanes could be built with quality and be safe to have two soles on board. On his shoulders stands Van's and on Van's shoulders we now stand. Thanks Steve, we won't forget you.

After I finished my RV-6, I gave lots of Young Eagle rides. Big kids, little kids, boys, girls, etc... Bunches of rides.

Last year, one of the new line guys at the field asked "Do you (did you) give YE rides maybe 8-10 years ago?"

"Sure, quite a few."

"I thought so, you gave me my first airplane ride. There is still a picture of it on the wall in my parent's house"

I am sure the incorrect spelling was unintentional (my spelling is usually no better) but the the correct spelling is Wittman, as in Steve Wittman. Many newer EAA members may not be familiar with him but all homebuilders, RV builders included, owe him a debt of gratitude. Not only was he a famous air race pilot from the golden age of air racing and the person for whom the Oshkosh airport is named for, he was also the person responsible for convincing the US government to allow carrying passengers in experimental airplanes. In the 1950's, with his Tailwind, he showed that airplanes could be built with quality and be safe to have two soles on board. On his shoulders stands Van's and on Van's shoulders we now stand. Thanks Steve, we won't forget you.

Thank you, I am regularly embarrassed by my spelling, and I certainly meant no disrespect to Mr. Wittman, or his aircraft design. But compared to an RV, it is ugly, the particular specimen I was privileged to have a ride in, only had an O-235 lyc with a wooden prop. It didn?t climb all that well, but holy turpentined cats, it was fast!

A school programme

The feeling of directly influencing young people is fantastic. I am a high school teacher in Australia, and for the past 10 years or so my school has been offering "Aviation" as a course in year 11. The subject has been defined as a VET (Vocational Education and Training) programme. In it the students do the theory required to complete the 1st 3 examinations in the process to becoming a pilot. It also counts toward their state marks or SACE (South Australian Certificate of Education)

It has allowed students who have the desire to fly a chance of gaining the first few steps toward their goal while still at school, and get credit for their efforts and achievement. It is also been taken by students who are in danger of leaving school, these students find it interesting and it has helped to keep them at there and thus finish their SACE. We have also had students who were headed for a very negative future find something that appealed to them. Some of these students have gone on to gain mechanical and other qualifications in the Aviation industry.

Of course many have become pilots, some private, some commercial and some in the military. I have to say it has made me, over the years; feel I may just have made a difference.

If you are wondering why it does not include taking them for a flight, the answer is lawyers! If I take one of my students up for a fly and we have an accident the school becomes liable and could be sued for "much money". So unfortunately I can't give them the same experience that many of you are able to.

Jim

my story didn't even include a ride. don jordan says that he started his 6a after watching me build my 4. The sad thing is he flew a few years before I did.:D

bob burns
rv-4 N82rb