kentb

Well Known Member
So in think about this I want to put you to work with some of the planning.

I would sale my RV9A and build a RV10. The only way that I could do it would be to cut back on the expenses, the main one being the panel.

Now to the question for the group.

Want would be your least expensive panel for Day/Night VFR. The investment must be kept down.

I would want a good engine monitor that I could download data from and a GPS like the 496 and a good AP to follow the flight plan in the GPS. Everything else is up for grabs.

Let me know your ideas.

Kent

For basic day/nite I'd get a Dynon D10, backup airspeed (OR a stand alone AOA), Backup Alt, and a Mag Compass. Engine would get a Digital Tach, MP gauge and a JPI EDM 700, yeah, it'd be cheaper than most all-in-one engine monitors. SL30 Nav/Com, GTX320 Transponder (CHEAP solid state), and a 296.

I thought about it too

I thought about buying a part built Pitts to work on whenever...I was told I would NOT be building another airplane...Yes dear I said...:)

Frank

Kent,

I have had this same discussion with a local -10 builder. The only difference is he is ready to install the panel and hang the engine when he realized the money was running out. Here is what I recommended to him:

Dynon D180 flight deck w/ all options (battery, heated pitot, fuel flow, etc.)
iCom radio
Four place intercom
Garmin 327 transponder
Handheld GPS (My preference was a Garmin w/ XM weather)

That will take care of all your flight and engine instruments w/ a battery backup plus give you some weather avoidance technology.

The new iCom radio matches the Garmin in terms of functionality and then some. When he upgrades his ship to IFR status he can move the Dynon over to the right and use it as a backup EFIS plus he will have a very good engine monitor.

This also gives him the option of installing an Dynon EFIS D100 on the right side and wait for some future software update which includes HITS (I hope).

Oh, and put in an Affordable Panels panel so future upgrades will be much easier!

frankh said:
I thought about buying a part built Pitts to work on whenever...I was told I would NOT be building another airplane...Yes dear I said...:)

Frank
Frank,

My wonderful wife told me I will be building another airplane so I will stay out of her way. and... Get this... She likes the looks of a Pitts. :D (I've got to get this one flying before I even think about the next one.)

Thanks

N941WR said:
Frank,

My wonderful wife told me I will be building another airplane so I will stay out of her way. and... Get this... She likes the looks of a Pitts. :D (I've got to get this one flying before I even think about the next one.)

You sure know how to hurt a guy...:)

Frank

Hang in there Frank...

frankh said:

Frank
My wife said the same thing when I completed my plane.
Now that she has had a few rides (about 1 hour each), she misses being able to get in the back like she did in our C172.

A couple of days ago she said "before you can build another plane you will have to sell both the Cessna and the RV". Sounded like permission to start build again to me. :D

Kent

kentb said:
Now that she has had a few rides (about 1 hour each), she misses being able to get in the back like she did in our C172.

A couple of days ago she said "before you can build another plane you will have to sell both the Cessna and the RV". Sounded like permission to start build again to me. :D

Kent

Kent,

Do you not like your 9 or are you just a hardcore builder? Wife climbing into the back seat sounds like a funny reason to start over!

kentb said:

Kent

Sell the Cessna, keep the RV-----"but dear, we need an airplane until the new one is done, then I can sell the first RV"

Cessna $$$ will get you started, and if you really have to sell the RV, it will get you the $$$ to do panel and engine--------and you still get to fly in the meantime.

Oh, I like my -9 alot...

Yukon said:
Kent,

Do you not like your 9 or are you just a hardcore builder? Wife climbing into the back seat sounds like a funny reason to start over!

But she is a little bit claustrophobic. She has been getting braver about going with me, but anything I can do to help her (us) fly more is good.

I will miss the fuel economy of the IO-320, but the extra room would be nice.

Kent