AX-O

Well Known Member
I am ordering the RV8 fuse and was wondering if I should order other items as well. When I built the rudder, I had to order an extra rudder horn due to hole-edge distance. During the wing construction the same thing happened with the flap bracket. Does the fuse have items that are commonly re-ordered not due to builder error?

Fuselage Extra Parts

Axel:

Good idea to think ahead. However, I think it would be difficult to forecast which part you will foobar and which one you won't. You really don't want to order an extra part only to find out you don't need it.

I am in the finishing stages of my -8 and at the point where I can handle some of the more difficult jobs without running into a problem. Hoever, on occassion I will still toss a part and order a new one due to a mistake. These are typically the easy jobs you are working on when the hour is late and your pushing yourself to complete one more task.

If you are ordering the fuse I would take the opportunity to order some additional aluminum sheets, rivets, nutplates, AN hardware for temporary assembly, etc.

Also if you are planning to make any mods like...the gear towers to add inspection covers, or if you are planning to use camlocks to attach the cowl, or put a hinged door in the baggage area to access the instrument panel, or.... think about it now and order the parts.

Enjoy!

Mike Draper
RV-8 finish

I don't know if it's something to do with the new -1 fuselage, but when you get to clecoing up the the fuselage assembly prior to wing skinning etc., then the 175 1/8" bronze clecos in the standard Avery kit soon get used up.

Another packet or two will save you going round looking for ones you can rob from somewhere else.

I found the same thing with the 3/32s when doing the wing skins.

I don't know if it's something to do with the new -1 fuselage, but when you get to clecoing up the the fuselage assembly prior to wing skinning etc., then the 175 1/8" bronze clecos in the standard Avery kit soon get used up.

Another packet or two will save you going round looking for ones you can rob from somewhere else.

I found the same thing with the 3/32s when doing the wing skins.

I am just at the Floor Rib section and could use more 1/8" Clecos. Going to order another 50 on Monday, along with a Christmas Tool Present for me.

I posted a similiar question in the RV9 section a month or so ago. I presume that many of the responses there would apply to you, too.

Clekos

I would order more clekos, a couple extra bags of 1/8" and a few extra 3/32." Running out sucks!

More Clecos definitely

Before buying, send a quick note to your local EAA members who may or may not have a couple hundred they are not using right now and borrow them. You won't need them long. Be prepared to likewise loan yours out to someone else in a similar situation in the future!

(This refers only to the 1/8" clecos used for Fuse construction. The 3/32's you'll need for wing and fuse, go ahead and buy them, you'll use them much longer.)

Could save you some $$$$

JMTC, YMMV

RV 8 parts order

I have built two 8's both QB's and both in 12 months. It would have been very difficult to build these airplanes quickly had I not ordered the entire kit all at once. The instructions will allow you to build it ordering each step of the kit individually however it is much faster to have all the parts as it does make a much better build process available.

Pat Stewart