sonny junell

Well Known Member
Just looking for not shopping (yet). For a night vision "flir" type camera designed for lsa/Experimental it's priced around $7500 for the total system.

NOW i know about the EVS products from http://www.forward-vision.net/
but I think there is another company that sell the same type of system.

Now I may have accidental doubled my meds today but I am pretty sure this exist. I was on there website recently but I can not remember where or what computer I saw it on. I have exhausted the browser history and google history . . . . :( No joy.

Does any one know what I am talking bout?
Do I know what I am talking about ? ? ? :)

Thanks for any feedback Good, Bad, or otherwise(as)

navtv.com

typed in flir found this for cars 3500 dollars did not watch the demo and someone else will know more than me as far the use in a rv

GRT

I don't know how much it is, but Grand Rapids has one and it is awesome. Saw it at Sun-N-Fun. The sky is the limit as far as cool things to have. Dave

Just looking for not shopping (yet). For a night vision "flir" type camera designed for lsa/Experimental it's priced around $7500 for the total system.

Does any one know what I am talking bout?
Do I know what I am talking about ? ? ? :)

Thanks for any feedback Good, Bad, or otherwise(as)

Hi Sonny,

There indeed have been some recent advances in the quality/price/availability of FLIR type camersas that are MUCH cheaper than they were even one year ago. I don't have specifics right at hand, but if you walk around at OSH you'll see a number of them that are suprisingly cheap. Also, hold tight a bit, you may be impressed with what stuff may show up on various avionics displays this summer (hint hint/wink wink)!

Cheers,
Stein

I fly with both FLIR and use Night Vision Goggles (NVG's) at work. In weighing out what would be the most useful to you at night, I would have to go with the NVG's. They're on your head and looking where your looking. With FLIR you'll be looking down at a screen to interpret what's going on. I believe our NVG's a few years ago were in the $9500 range for ANVS-9's. A lot more EMS birds are using them now so the price may have come down a bit. If night-time assurance is what your looking for, NVG's whould be your best bet. A word of caution though, having either of these in use while flying will sometimes put you into a low visibility ( i.e. not VMC) condition when you pop out from under them and find yourself in the fog. Food for thought, hope it helps.

FLIR

I'm not sure exactly why you would want FLIR. You can't legally use it for navigation or to provide you with a horizon. You have to be VFR. It takes training and experience to use FLIR effectively.

I have used FLIR in law enforcement flying and it is a great tool. I now use NVG's flying EMS helicopters. We have the latest and greatest Anvis 9's. Unless your aircraft was properly equipped for lighting they would cause you as much trouble as good. Additionally, you'd need extensive training with the NVG's to be safe. They are a great tool with proper training.

Also, NVG's are tightly controlled by the DOD. Our company keeps several on order because they are so tough to get. The average Joe isn't going get a set of modern NVG's.

I too fly with both FLIR/DAY TV/LL TV as well as ANVS-9 NVGs. For general night flying with improved safety via a visible horizon NVGs are the way to go, provided your cockpit lighting is compatible - otherwise forget it, they will bloom out and you'll see nothing but washout. I believe ANVS-6s are available in the market and they provide up to about 20/40 night vision. I learned to land to the back of an FFG at sea at only 16 ft off the water using them so they can't be that bad?

FLIR has it uses both day and night for locating objects and identifying them (targets) but for navigation or safety of flight there are several significant issues you'll need to resolve. Two of the biggest are boresight (assuming you do not want a slewable system and parallax. Even a few degrees and as little as a couple of feet of parallax can really mess you up.

I will caveat this and say for the night taxi environment, provided you account for parallax, would be the most beneficial use for a GA FLIR, since you are not looking for things to shoot - IMHO

Ken

The flir system has its limitations. If you have precip you may not see more then several hundred feet in front of you. If theres low visibility and no precip you might like it to land but don't push your luck! Got that info from the company rep at a trade show this year. Ron

THANKs and Thanks agian

Guys I really can't thank you enough for the feedback and constructive advice.

About three weeks ago dad an I "re"-started work again on the RV-10 it is goooing.

Well long story "short" we have started wiring the -10 and well.... We didnt know what we wanted. So we didn't know what we needed to wire.

One of the future items we thought we might want is some type of night aid or visual assistance dev. There was a flir video i saw a few weeks ago about a product that looked real nice, and Finally i found it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQ1KYzr57A
This is a Flir product offered by http://foresight.aero/?page_id=36
this product is about 8 to $9,000 while slightly out of our price range for something we may only use a few times a year, if it saved you once it would be in-valuable.

If i had to buy one today it would probly be this littil camera by FLIR evs-x http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/0906-397 EVSx_web.pdf

it is about $2500 plus screen, which hopefully some day would display on my GDU-375 G3x.

I am sure something better and cheaper will be available when we are finally ready to lay down for one, "Thanks Stein"

Again thanks all

Agree with the above comments. I flew the B-52 with a FLIR and EVS and NVGs. Also flew the HH-60 with a FLIR and NVGs. The FLIR was a nice thing to have but I would not pick it over NVGs.

Gen III NVGs FS Online

....NVG's are tightly controlled by the DOD. Our company keeps several on order because they are so tough to get. The average Joe isn't going get a set of modern NVG's.

Unfortunately, it's not too hard to find decent NVG for sale to the public; try Amazon.com.

Gen III military issue PVS-7 or Gen IV civilian goggles....take your pick.

Our military used to own the night; now, not so much.

Mike

Unfortunately, it's not too hard to find decent NVG for sale to the public; try Amazon.com.

Gen III military issue PVS-7 or Gen IV civilian goggles....take your pick.

Our military used to own the night; now, not so much.

Mike

Well i don't see why that's "unfortunate" but I will look into it!