rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
Im getting close to the painting stage. I have sprayed with both HVLP and the old style with the cup hanging below.

Advantages of HVLP
1. Smaller Compressor
2. Less overspray
3. Less material used

Advantages of Old Style
1. Easier to touch up an area
2. Paint fades in easier and less runs
3. Lots of cars have been painted with these systems

I have a good HVLP gun and a reasonable cup gun. What is the general consensus of painters here? I am leaning to the HVLP because I do not have 220 at my hangar for my large compressor.

If you could give reasons why you favor one over the other, that would help. Thanks

I have an H VLP gun and a standard gun, both of which have top mounted reservoirs.I have converted both to the 3m disposable system and highly recommend conversion. My experience is that the HVLP is easier to use for primers, but does not give as good a finish coat. This is where the greater atomization of the standard gun seems provide me a better finish. It is also my experience that a better quality gun will give better finish. Though many on this site have claimed to have gotten good results from an inexpensive HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Lots of variables, different paint systems, environmental conditions, compressor size as you mention, etc.

HVLP, a good quality one, will out spray any "conventional" gun. Modern paints are "designed" around HVLP technology. A gravity cup will reduce waste and keep you from accidentally dragging it in your paint job and let you see under your gun as you spray on a horizontal surface. The tip number is also important on selection of material sprayed. I can spray "most" modern paints with a 1.3 tip but there are some trade offs. I have sprayed several 100's of gallons, probably 1000's of paints in my last 26 years of life doing that professionally and it's not hard to do, and not even hard to do well. The cheaper guns will work well for a one time overall paint job or two, but not consistently. They don't have the precision machined orifices for repetitive work.

One thing to note on your pro/con list, an HVLP will require a larger/higher output compressor than a conventional gun. That is really the only downside of HVLP. Like was already mentioned, a good HVLP will do a better job hands down.

One thing to note on your pro/con list, an HVLP will require a larger/higher output compressor than a conventional gun. That is really the only downside of HVLP. Like was already mentioned, a good HVLP will do a better job hands down.

Not sure on that....the CFM on a HVLP is generally equal or less than a conventional type gun. You won't be able to paint anything overall with a regular household compressor without stopping and letting it recoup its supply.

My experience is HVLP works fine on my "travel" compressor. My large 220v compressor works great for both. The travel compressor has trouble keeping up with the air cup spray gun.

HVLP

I'm curious what brand the experts recommend as good quality.
I love my Devilbiss HVLP.

My spray guns are all SATAjet. I have had great results with Devilbiss, and even had good results out of the economy guns such as ATD. Basically "any" gun will provide good results as long as you understand the basics of gun setup, and it's limitations.

Not sure on that....the CFM on a HVLP is generally equal or less than a conventional type gun. You won't be able to paint anything overall with a regular household compressor without stopping and letting it recoup its supply.

Everything I have read in the past always noted that the HVLP would require a larger compressor. However, I was just digging around and some places noted that the newer HVLP trans-tech has improved air consumption quite a bit.

Here is the HVLP pro-con list from spraygunworld:

Pro:
High finish quality
Great Material Savings
EPA and Government Approved
One of the most common application methods - easier training and support

Con:
Slower working speed and a smaller fan
Larger Compressors Required
Lower atomization of clear coats
Problems with thicker paints

No matter what he chooses I guess it is just important to check the specs for that particular gun and make sure the compressor isn't too far under the need.

I'm planning to use the Devilbiss finish line FLG4. Not the best unit, but a good balance of price v performance. The spec for that gun calls for 9.9 CFM @ 40psi used as conventional (#1 air cap) or 13 CFM @ 23psi HVLP (#3 air cap)

My compressor is rated at 13.4 CFM @ 40 PSI, so I should be good to go.