Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I bought the Citation Axis 4 stage Turbine unit. I bought the cheaper kit to save $200 with the bottom feed gun as I purchased a new DeVilbis Gravity Feed HVLP "Starting Line" spray gun kit off Ebay.

That said, the Citation Axis air hose has a 5/8 female quick connect fitting (basically like your rivet gun, just bigger) that matches the a 5/8 male connector on the supplied gun (Axis sources and includes in their system from a company called Lex-Aire).

However my DeVilbis guns, even though they say are "HVLP", have 1/4 NPT threaded fittings.

• Should I use an adapter? Is one even available?
  • Do I just need to source a gravity feed gun with 5/8 connector?

I'm sure others have run across this issue. WOnder what others have done I have a local body shop buddy I'll be quizzing also.

Thanks

Mixing HVLP

Sandy,
I don't think the two will work together. The citations I've seen/used were VERY low pressure. I think the DeVillbiss you have will need around 40# of pressure AT the gun and it further reduces it. Generally speaking, that would yeild about 10psi at the cap for it. I'm not sure of the pressure that the citation uses but fairly sure they are not compatible.

Follow up and answers

After getting more info and research under my belt here is the answer.

HVLP comes in two basic configurations.
  • Standard HVLP - Most common and least expensive
  • Turbine HVLP - Less common and more expensive (but prices are coming down)

Standard HVLP uses guns that are basically just redesigned compressor style guns. The internals and jets are different. But like a standard compressor gun they use 1/4" NPT connections (like the DeVilbis Starting Line set I bought).

Turbine HVLP is the newer technology and the mechanical turbine induces warmed air which flashes the paint helping it to dry faster. Turbine units all use a larger hose and fitting, normally 5/8" (male on gun/female on hose) and therefore generally with a quick disconnect.

Also the HVLP turbine gun pots are commonly fed pressurized air from the line through a small 1/8" ID clear plastic tube (both gravity and bottom feed guns) that helps keep positive and consistent paint flow. In the case of the gravity feed guns you get the best of both worlds with both gravity and some pressure moving the paint out.

That said, in hindsight, maybe it can be argued I should have paid the extra [$200] and gotten the Citation Axis with the gravity feed gun. But in other respects I don't like their gravity feed gun. For one thing the pot doesn't appear to be able to be tilted.

Fuji makes a good HVLP Turbine Gravity Feed gun for their system which is relatively cheap ($299 Amazon.com) and the pot tilts. As the guns are apparently interchangeable and not proprietary to their units it should work with the Citation as well. Plus it has an insulated handle as turbine HVLP gun handles are known for getting hot due to the heated air.

Hope that helps anyone else looking for these answers. Unfortunately there's not a lot of info on the web easy to find and a lot of discovery learning takes place.

I will probably do a video demo and article on my PlaneNutz.com site this week also.

Last edited:
3M bag system.

Not sure exactly what the name of the product line is, but 3M has a bag system (available through Citation) that allows the gun to be sprayed at any angle. As well as making clean up much easier, as the paint stays inside the bag. Worth a look. I plan to buy that set up for the gun I use with my Citation turbine. I have sprayed without it so far, and am very pleased with my results, despite not being a painter.

Best,

Ben

Not sure exactly what the name of the product line is, but 3M has a bag system (available through Citation) that allows the gun to be sprayed at any angle. As well as making clean up much easier, as the paint stays inside the bag. Worth a look. I plan to buy that set up for the gun I use with my Citation turbine. I have sprayed without it so far, and am very pleased with my results, despite not being a painter.

Best,

Ben

I've been using the DeVilbiss system of DeKups (careful how you Google this...:)...) and they work well - especially for the JetFlex waterborne paint.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/dekups.aspx

They have adapters for many makes of guns.