Steve Brown

Well Known Member
Last week in a non-flying & non-taxiing incident, the front section of my nose wheel fairing was turned to trash in an instant:(. It looked possible to repair it, but since it is much more broke than intact I decided I'd be happier just replacing it.

The rear section is intact.

I just got the replacement yesterday and am contemplating installation. I haven't been to the airport with the new piece yet, but it seems as simple as drilling the holes in the right place, putting it on, and putting in the screws.

Am I missing something, or is there some information out there I should be looking at?

I'm guessing it's like the 9A and you'll need to cut the opening for the gear leg as well.

Depending on how well it fits you may need to sand or fill some too. Other than that and the tire opening, you're right on.

Thanks guys!

Appreciate the helpful feedback.

I was just writing the builder of the plane back channel:

I had a dead battery and decided to bite the (expensive) bullet and get a hanger before replacing it. I should have just pulled it across the field, but instead asked for a tow.

Very dumb! One bump and the fairing was trash. I couldn't get mad at the guy doing the tow, since he was doing me a favor.

Especially dumb because I had already pulled it halfway there, and my pulling speed was almost as high as the tow speed.

Last week in a non-flying & non-taxiing incident, the front section of my nose wheel fairing was turned to trash in an instant:(. It looked possible to repair it, but since it is much more broke than intact I decided I'd be happier just replacing it.

The rear section is intact.

I just got the replacement yesterday and am contemplating installation. I haven't been to the airport with the new piece yet, but it seems as simple as drilling the holes in the right place, putting it on, and putting in the screws.

Am I missing something, or is there some information out there I should be looking at?

That nose fairing is somewhat fragile....I cracked mine badly jumping up onto a hard surface coming off of grass and debated replacing it or rebuilding. I ended up rebuilding but it would have been easier just replacing it.

You will have to remove the aft part of the fairing in order to get inside to match drill the attach holes of the nose part. Also, the forward part will have to be cut where the strut comes down through it, neither are big deals. You may be able to use the old part as a template for the strut cut.

Good luck.