rwarre

Well Known Member
Working on the tank rv6a., dimpled the skins instead of counter-sinking. Anyway to salvage the mistake before I order a new skin?

Can’t speak to the reasoning for Van’s desiring countersinking in 0.032” skins, but I do know that many tanks built at Synergy Air dimple the skins and aft baffle.

It does make the assembly a little more challenging with proseal and dimples, but if you can get help during this assembly step, it should be fine (and potentially a stronger assembly).

I would check with Van’s too, but I’ll be surprised if they tell you to replace the skins.

Oversize dimple dies

I built a new tank for my Rv 4 several years ago and used the oversized dies someone was selling just for the tanks and pro seal. Came out better than the countersunk tanks I had previously built.

Cm

I’ve just finished my 4th set of leak free tanks so I’m current….
Dimpling is ok.
The reason vans changed to CS the rear baffle is that it makes the rear baffle install much less prone to leaks.
Dimples make it difficult to ensure one long uninterrupted 3/16 bead of sealant along that joint. As that’s the last component installed you really only get one shot at ensuring the sealant is perfect and uninterrupted as well as not compromised by the installation itself.

Vans also discourages the use of “tank dies” or “substructure dies”
Rivets are a structural joint. Making the dimple deeper and filling the rivet/skin joint with sealant weakens that joint obviously.

It’s a shame it came too late for me but Vans Tank video is excellent and a must watch.

Build on, you're fine. I dimpled my tank skins 1250 hours ago and they are still not leaking. :D