g zero

Well Known Member
Looks like Google Glasses will be the next step in making today's panels outdated . Looks like a cool product .
Tom

Glass

Interesting idea, but probably not practical.

Besides the fact you'd need an Android-based device to hook it up to, you've got the problem of very bright sunlight (not quite sure how it would work with any kind of sunglasses). Add a noisy cockpit, and saying "OK, Glass..." could be a challenge if someone doesn't have a Bluetooth enabled headset that goes to the phone (and I'm not even sure if the mic pickup comes through the phone or through the glasses - I suspect the latter). Not sure I'd want the added distraction of whatever is showing on the glass to still be there if I'm looking down at any electronic instruments either.

It's actually an interesting idea. If we look at Google Glass like any other breaking technology, the first generation from the first vendor will have lots of limitations.

If we look at what is likely to happen after a few generations of the technology and a few vendors competing in the market, we can get a better idea of its applications.

The first generation of the first vendor with a glass EFIS would be considered archaic in comparison to what we have available today.

Heads Up Display

Looking for this?

http://www.patavio.it/index.php/en/

Time will tell if it is ever produced to the mass market in an affordable package. The price on their website is $5k for a Dynon tied in unit and $6K for a stand alone. They say it will be at Oshkosh this year so we will see....

Augmented Reality

Think back to the 1990's and the "Virtual Reality" video games. You step into a "cage" and wear a helmet...when you turn your head it knows what you are looking at.

This positional functionality is cheap and easy today with 6 axis accelerometers and digital compasses so ubiquitous that they are in nearly every digital device we have now (phones, watches, etc).

I see this developing into a great augmented reality (look it up if unfamiliar) supplement. Think all the data we can have available in the cockpit, but would rather see delivered positionally...traffic and obstacle databases, even airspace and weather.

Imagine you are along the east coast of Florida flying south, you just passed Daytona and you want to fly over the Shuttle Landing facility. You are talking to approach and are approved for the maneuver. As you near it, you see the Vehicle assembly building off in the distance. Approach calls out traffic, but your ADS-B (in and out) is working flawlessly and your "HUD glasses" superimpose a symbol out at your 11 o'clock position, the standard symbol carrat with a -5 next to it. Above you there is a visual "ceiling" for the floor of the restricted area. Off in the distance to your right you can see an upside down wedding cake...ohh that is orlando! Below you you can see the standard symbology for towers.

I even propose a name for this...Super-Duper Synthetic Vision!

The possibilities are amazing

The Salmon Farmer is spot on. When I first found RV's, I would see a D10 and say "AWESOME!" Now, as I shop, it's more "that's a plus."

Not yet, I think.

It needs a constant internet connection back to where the "real" app runs. Google Glass, at least as it exists today, is essentially a specialized browser in terms of how the data flows.

It's a cool idea, but you'd also have to develop a side stick controller to get the full effect.

==dave==

Our 05 corvette has HUD on the inside window.
Wife like it I don't care for it. Cut my vision down outside.
Bill J