prkaye

Well Known Member
What's an economical HSI display that can be used to display data from an SL30? I could get a second Dynon and use the HSI display from that, but I'm wondering if there's a much more economical solution if all I need is the HSI and not a second EFIS.

When I was laying out my panel, an HSI was a hard requirement. When I actually went shopping for a reliable unit, I discovered that going with a fully integrated glass cockpit (EFIS) was going to be cheaper than buying one of the existing HSI systems....so I never looked back!

If you're limited on funds, the extra D10A is not a bad way to go...

Paul

Hummmmmm

I tend to agree with the above.....However I will have an HSI for sale soon. It is in my plane and operational now....KI525 and hardware.

HSI or CDI?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you have in mind. An HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator) is part of a complete analog (or sometimes digital) compass system. The HSI will automatically show you heading plus deviation from the SL-30. The CDI (Course Deviation Indicator) on the other hand would be sufficient as a secondary display as it displays the information from the SL-30, but the heading card is manually adjusted. Most of the general aviation trainers have CDI's, not HSI's. There are a couple of KI-209 CDI's on ebay right now, a KI-206, GI-106a or MD200-206/MD200-306 are other options. They can be had used for decent prices.

If you all this was old news to you, I apologize. In any case I hope this info helps.

Last edited:
I think the cheapest HSI out there is the Century NSD 360 non slaved vac. pwred. for close to 4K.

By far the most economical way to get that HSI display would be a 2nd Dynon.