HighSchoolBuilders

Well Known Member
Hi,

I am working on the Horizontal Stab. There is a part where the plan call for a bend of the aluminum angle (HS810-1 and HS814-1) to 6 degrees, using block of wood + Vise, or hand seamer. I tried using the hand seamer, resulting some winkles or stretch marks at the bend. I am concern that it might be a structural/stress concentration issue.

Is my concern a valid one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Like Kevin said, it is hard to know how the part came out by discription only. You are just starting off on the building process so learning how to post pictures here will help you considerably down the road. I just learned and I am working on the finishing kit and FWF. Here is what I did
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

If this is the right part, I don't have my plans in front of me so I am guessing, then it shouldn't be a big enough bend to cause any structural damage.

Randy
8A

Looks okay to me...

I always try to polish out any scratch marks, tooling markes, etc., just prior to any alodine and/or priming, anyway, which is all that I could make out on the photo. Hard to avoid *any* marks at all...just polish 'em out.

Noted Location of builder

I noticed when HighSchoolBuilder first posted that he was from Hong Kong. Sweet. I wonder if he's the first builder from there. It's neat to see folks from all-over-the-world, building and posting here for help. :)

Dave

I should add that I'm assuming there are no actual *cracks* in the metal (I didn't notice any, but then, I don't have the part in hand to QA). If there are just tooling marks, then polishing them down to remove the stress risers is fine. If a part is cracked, though, that's a different matter.

Thanks! I also got a reply from Vans, they said it's okay as well, so I am good to go.

Dave: Yeah, I am the only one building in Hong Kong. It's also the first trying to register in Hong Kong as well. You will be seeing me a lot here, asking for help. Thanks very much to everyone for helping and sharing info!