billytime1

Well Known Member
Team Van's...I drilled a #40 in hs710 and have .190 from the center to the edge. Spec is to use -4 rivet. If I must have a minimum of 2d edge distance, a -4 will be too close. The hs710 is .125 thick. Is there wiggle room for the thickness of the .125 hs710. Or should I use a -3 rivet and be safe using a 2d rule. I know 2.5 d is safest but if I used a -3 I will be between 2d and 2.5d

Edge distance

Billytime1
Heres what you need to do. You need to make a little drill guide and cheat the hole toward the direction you need it to go. Grab a small section .125 cutoff or angle and drill a #31 hole through it on a drill press. Nice and straight.
Line that hole over your #40 hole capturing it entirely but your newly drilled angle will not be centered but towards the direction you need it to go. Clamp that puppy down nice and tight. Make sure that you see the entire #40 hole looking through the #31 hole. Make sure its right to the edge.Drill with a #31 drill bit. Remove your guide and dbl check it making sure your hole is nice and round. Run your #30 drill through it and you should be all centered up with good edge distance. If that doesn't solve your edge distance issues then a call into Vans is your best bet.
Hope this helps.

Added: After doing a little math looks like you would still be short on edge distance by 1/32 even if your hole was perfectly moved.

Last edited:
You can not use a size-3 rivet to replace a size-4 rivet, big differance in strength of the two. I suspect the hole in question is the top hole that connects the hs710, the spar and "main inboard rib". This is just the place where the cracks are forming regarding the SB for the front spar on the HS. Having said that you might be OK if you do the SB and re-inforce that part of the HS. I would check with Vans, as they used to be very strict on the edge distance of that specific hole, but that was before the SB fix

I have the sb kit and will wait to see what van's mountain has to say... I may have to order new spar, ribs and Hs 710.. It's only 4 parts better to fix it here via new parts than to scrape it up out of a field somewhere. The cracks are showing up in the 702 flange. In the area of my screw up..I am humbled by the journey that lay before me

Building a rv7 tail for the rv6a. On the hs710 my edge distance is less than 2.5d with a -4 rivet. I have .190 from center of hole to edge. If I use the drill block and move the hole in the direction I need to go, I will be less than 2d with the -4 rivet. Hs710 is .125 thick. Not sure that is enough, any comments anyone...