pgroell

Well Known Member
Friend
Hello everybody,

after struggling and redoing the HS-405, HS-404, HS-710 intersection twice on the left side, I was quite happy with everything, until I noticed that on the right side I drilled HS-708 to the rear spar to #12 instead of #19. :mad:
So pop-rivet BSPQ 5-4 won't fit, does anybody know wich size of rivet would be appropriate?

Thanks a lot, reorganising my drill bits :(

a 3/16 solid - it will take a lot to set it, make sure everything is well supported, or an AN-3 bolt & nyloc.

Pete

It has to be a blind fastner. Given that the BSPQ-5-4 is simply a pop rivet (not structual type) I'd be comfortable pulling a couple of 3/16" pop rivets in it. Make sure the grip length is the same though. I don't know why Van's says to drill it to 19 in the first place, 21 is the right size for a #5 rivet, which is what I drilled mine to.

A BSPQ rivet is a structural rivet with a solid shank.

If you do a bolt you need to be sure that the elevator will clear the bolt head when it's hinged...it's relatively tight in there (someone else may be able to answer this one). Also, the assembly sequence would change ala' solid rivet.

A solid rivet will make you change the assembly sequence. Not the worst thing in the world, but it's sure a lot easier leaving the rear spar off until all the other rivets are set (you will need to leave part of the skin unrivetted, rivet the rear spar on, and then peal the skin back to finish the rest....probably need some blind rivets in there too).

A 3/16 structural blind rivet would probably be OK but I don't think Vans carries one long enough.

Just call Vans on Monday. They'll probably recommend picking up some BSPQ-6-4 rivets from Aircraft Spruce and just using those instead. I would definately not just ignore the enlarged hole in the HS spar doubler without running it by Vans first, though.

edit: I'll just add that you've choosen EXCELLENT parts to screw up on. Nearly everything in the tail is CHEAP. I've rebuilt lots and lots until I got the hang of it (more than most...I'm a slow learner I guess :) ). It really does get better...honest.

Last edited:
You can use cherrymax

Hello
You can use a cherrymax blind rivet. Structural aerospace blind rivet. They come in sizes -4,-5,-6 ( what you are looking for) ,and -8. For full info see;

http://www.peerlessaerospace.com/pub/Productimages/TAF_CHERRYMAX.pdf

Spruce's and Van's selection are not the fullest, so call Rich Industries. 1-800-240-2777. He has every size of rivet ever made, and his prices are rarely beaten. He is also great to deal with.

That is where I buy my unique sized rivets.

Good Luck.

Wade, that is an EXCELLENT resource!!!

Also I did notice in that .pdf the -5 spec is a #20 hole...

Close enough! Not worth going up to a -6 even if there was the edge distance!

...provided you could PULL IT!

:eek: CJ

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your input.
My question is already in Van's mailbox.

John : the intersting thing is that the spar doubler has the correct sized hole, the others got wrongly drilled when I put together the skeleton.

Wade : that's a great resource, I'll keep it on my hardrive.

Pascal

PS : the big problem when you're building overseas is the shipping and handling (like 50$ for 20$ parts depending on size and weight)

Van's answer

Just to keep you updated.
Gus at Van's, suggested not to drill the spar doubler (leave the hole at its original #19 size) and then adapt the rib to be able to pull a -5 rivet. That means having the rib have a #19 hole and now I have three options : a new rib, rivet a new flange to the rib web or install a doubler on the rib flange. The last option would request a rivet with a longer shank.

Not decided yet, but I think I'll go for a new rib with my next order , the HS can be worked upon without that rib for the moment.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Pascal