JMBuie

I'm New Here
Newbee here in NC. Working on the Horizontal stabilizer. Riveted the nose ribs in the right skin no problem. Then riveted the intermediate ribs to front spar no problem. Had no problem with the center rib but where the inner rib 904 mounts to the front spar,shim, and nose rib I had problems. These ribs are at an angle and could not get good contact with buckingbar or rivet gun, even used offset. Drilled out twice and still not satisfied. Holes are now a little oversized. I have read about using cherrymax rivets, Are they strong enough?

Thanks for the info

Jack
RV 9 empennage in progress
http://skyvector.com/airport/9NR8/Buie-Field-Airport

Cherry max rivets would probably be overkill. It is hard to tell what you are describing without a picture. If your holes are slightly over sized, I would guess "oops" rivets would work. And don't be afraid to call Van's and ask for assistance. Good luck, Glenn

HS Riveting

Also hard to visualize without a picture, but I would strongly recommend a tungsten bucking bar, and also consider a rivet squeezer preferrably pneumatic. These have become my favorite tools. Currently working on the fuselage.

Me too

I had a hard time with those rivets too and it took a couple of tries to get it right. I would think that the appropriate cherry max rivet would be fine. Give VANs a call.

Tom